1wire weather station v3

Matt-6

Hi,

I have a 1-Wire Weather Instrument Kit V3.0, and rather than using a windows
weather package, I thought I'd use an old laptop to collect the data for me.

I have Debian running and OWFS (fantastic btw) is running fine.
Ultimately I want to collect the data and produce graphs, maybe render the
data with pov in some way, who knows.

All the various 1wire devices can be seen and I can look at their data.
DS2450
DS18S20
DS2423

The temperature is straight forward enough, but I'm not entirely sure how I
use the data for the other sensors.

Has anyone got any scripts I can look at for inspiration ?

Specifically

Why does the wind speed have two counters ?
Can I just use one ?
Do I just note the system time, take reading, wait, note time, take reading
and calculate the rotational speed that way ?

With the wind direction, there seems to be 4 analogue volt readings, I'm
really not sure how this translates into direction.

Any help would be appriecated.

Thanks

Matt

Re: 1wire weather station v3

Nicolas Huillard
Matt a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I have a 1-Wire Weather Instrument Kit V3.0, and rather than using a windows
> weather package, I thought I'd use an old laptop to collect the data for me.
>
> I have Debian running and OWFS (fantastic btw) is running fine.
> Ultimately I want to collect the data and produce graphs, maybe render the
> data with pov in some way, who knows.
>
> All the various 1wire devices can be seen and I can look at their data.
> DS2450
> DS18S20
> DS2423
>
> The temperature is straight forward enough, but I'm not entirely sure how I
> use the data for the other sensors.
>
> Has anyone got any scripts I can look at for inspiration ?

Have a look at the "maison" package on SF
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=85502). This is
Perl code and little stuff to :
* read temperatures and store them in RRD files
* read a counter for power comsumption (of the house) and store it in a
RRD file
* show graphs in a CGI interface
* display status on an LCD display connected to the 1-wire
* adds start/stop init scripts
* uses cron jobs to do some things (change heaters status)
* integrates well in Debian (@reboot cron job to start it all, etc.)
* everything is based on symlinks, to allow easy tuning of devices to
read/write

Your use will be obvious :
* use the temploggerd as-is : it will read and store temperatures, and
draw graphs
* use the delesteurd to read/store you counter state, and modify a bit
it calculations to convert counts into wind speed instead of currently
converting count of "1 pulse per Wh" into Watts (let RRD calculate for
you : just change the ratios) (delesteurd is badly named for the moment
: it is not only meant to read power consumption, but also power off
some heaters when the power is higher than a level. Still on my todo)
* you're alone for wind direction, but you can still use the Perl
scripts there and tweak them (just get the right formulaes on the Maxim
web site or someone on this list).

> Specifically
>
> Why does the wind speed have two counters ?
> Can I just use one ?

The chip has two counters by design. Only one can be wired (that's the
case in power meter).

> Do I just note the system time, take reading, wait, note time, take reading
> and calculate the rotational speed that way ?

Yes. "Take the time" is a task that is automatically done by RRD, when
you insert a new data. It also calculate a "rate" from your consecutive
readings. So this is trivial.

> With the wind direction, there seems to be 4 analogue volt readings, I'm
> really not sure how this translates into direction.

Open the box, analyse the wiring, think... and ask the mailing-list ;-)

--
NH

RE: 1wire weather station v3

Alfille, Paul H.,M.D.

Yes. "Take the time" is a task that is automatically done by RRD, when
you insert a new data. It also calculate a "rate" from your consecutive
readings. So this is trivial.

> With the wind direction, there seems to be 4 analogue volt readings, I'm
> really not sure how this translates into direction.

I remember seeing the wiring schematic on the web. It would probably be even
easier to just look at the values, turn the vane, and look again.

When you get it figured out, can you report your findings?

Paul

RE: 1wire weather station v3

Matt-6

Well, I opened it up and had a look, the 8 directions each with 4 volt
readings, translates to the following table.

        1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A *0 4.5 4.5 4.5 *2.3 4.5 4.5 4.5
B 4.5 *0 4.5 4.5 4.5 *2.3 4.5 4.5
C 4.5 4.5 *0 4.5 4.5 4.5 *2.3 4.5
D 4.5 4.5 4.5 *0 4.5 4.5 4.5 *2.3

I notice much talk of RRD, and it does look interesting, but I was thinking
I would keep my data for many years and writing the graph code is part of
the challenge for me.

Mysql would be my db of choice, but the interpolation features of RRD look
intriguing.

I think I may use this project as an opportunity to play with python, I hear
nothing but praise for this language.

Thanks

Yes. "Take the time" is a task that is automatically done by RRD, when you
insert a new data. It also calculate a "rate" from your consecutive
readings. So this is trivial.

> With the wind direction, there seems to be 4 analogue volt readings,
> I'm really not sure how this translates into direction.

I remember seeing the wiring schematic on the web. It would probably be even
easier to just look at the values, turn the vane, and look again.

When you get it figured out, can you report your findings?

Paul

RE: 1wire weather station v3

Alfille, Paul H.,M.D.
Vey interesting. I'm surprised directions 5-8 don't have two channels with
non-saturated values. (A between position.)

Paul

RE: 1wire weather station v3

Matt-6

There appears to be 8 reed switches, and two rotating magnets arranged
adjacently.
Perhaps one is not a magnet, and just a counter weight.

I marked one of these magnets and then rotated the vane shaft 45% and took a
reading, and repeated until the marked magnet was back to the original
position. (previous table)

I've just checked though and there are other valuse combinations, and also a
second set of four volt values.
So perhaps there are more than eight recordable positions.

volt.ALL 0.0658604, 0.0600009, 4.55241, 4.5428
volt.A 0.0644541
volt.B 0.0661729
volt.C 4.54171
volt.D 4.54741
volt2.ALL 0.0352349, 0.0302348, 0, 0
volt2.A 0.0351568
volt2.B 0.0298442
volt2.C 0
volt2.D 0

More research needed...

Vey interesting. I'm surprised directions 5-8 don't have two channels with
non-saturated values. (A between position.)

Paul

Re: 1wire weather station v3

Paul Alfille
The second set of voltages is just the first set at half intensity. As I
recall, the voltage range is either 0-5 or 0-2.5 and the Volts2 is the same
readings interpreted over the smaller range. No additional information.

On Friday 03 June 2005 07:40 pm, Matt wrote:

> There appears to be 8 reed switches, and two rotating magnets arranged
> adjacently.
> Perhaps one is not a magnet, and just a counter weight.
>
> I marked one of these magnets and then rotated the vane shaft 45% and took
> a reading, and repeated until the marked magnet was back to the original
> position. (previous table)
>
> I've just checked though and there are other valuse combinations, and also
> a second set of four volt values.
> So perhaps there are more than eight recordable positions.
>
> volt.ALL 0.0658604, 0.0600009, 4.55241, 4.5428
> volt.A 0.0644541
> volt.B 0.0661729
> volt.C 4.54171
> volt.D 4.54741
> volt2.ALL 0.0352349, 0.0302348, 0, 0
> volt2.A 0.0351568
> volt2.B 0.0298442
> volt2.C 0
> volt2.D 0
>
> More research needed...

I took more time and now see that there are 16 positions.

        A B C D
N   2.35566 4.61546 4.61241 4.61116
NNW 2.33621 4.55952 4.56218 0.0659385
NW   4.59905 4.5828 4.58609 0.0642197
NWW 4.54929 4.54452 0.0621103 0.0647666
W   4.59999 4.58179 0.065626 4.58976
SWW 4.56851 0.0666416 0.0652354 4.54296
SW   4.59796 0.0608603 4.58374 4.58234
SSW 0.0680479 0.0581259 4.54874 4.54304
S   0.0635947 4.58179 4.58851 4.59101
SSE 0.0628135 4.56007 4.58554 2.33363
SE   4.60796 4.60702 4.60499 2.36136
SEE 4.59937 4.60163 3.16349 3.17145
E   4.62007 4.61171 2.35808 4.60921
NEE 4.61226 3.16583 3.16388 4.59976
NE   4.61484 2.35636 4.60866 4.61655
NNE 3.17927 3.16395 4.59999 4.6039

Which seems to be supported by this I found...
http://www.sensorsmag.com/articles/0501/34/main.shtml

Any clever way to convert values to directions ?
Or do I just kludge it with many IFs and ANDs ?

The second set of voltages is just the first set at half intensity. As I
recall, the voltage range is either 0-5 or 0-2.5 and the Volts2 is the same
readings interpreted over the smaller range. No additional information.

On Friday 03 June 2005 07:40 pm, Matt wrote:

> There appears to be 8 reed switches, and two rotating magnets arranged
> adjacently.
> Perhaps one is not a magnet, and just a counter weight.
>
> I marked one of these magnets and then rotated the vane shaft 45% and
> took a reading, and repeated until the marked magnet was back to the
> original position. (previous table)
>
> I've just checked though and there are other valuse combinations, and
> also a second set of four volt values.
> So perhaps there are more than eight recordable positions.
>
> volt.ALL 0.0658604, 0.0600009, 4.55241, 4.5428
> volt.A 0.0644541
> volt.B 0.0661729
> volt.C 4.54171
> volt.D 4.54741
> volt2.ALL 0.0352349, 0.0302348, 0, 0
> volt2.A 0.0351568
> volt2.B 0.0298442
> volt2.C 0
> volt2.D 0
>
> More research needed...

Peter Kropf
Hi Matt -

If you decide to explore using Python for this project, consider that you can setup a dictionary (Python's hash table) with the key being a tuple of the A, B, C, D values for very easy lookup of the direction. Something like this:

direction = {
    (2, 4, 4, 4) : 'N',
    (2, 4, 4, 0) : 'NNW',
    (4, 4, 4, 0) : 'NW',
    (4, 4, 0, 0) : 'NWW',
    (4, 4, 0, 4) : 'W',
    (4, 0, 0, 4) : 'SWW',
    (4, 0, 4, 4) : 'SW',
    (0, 0, 4, 4) : 'SSW',
    (0, 4, 4, 4) : 'S',
    (0, 4, 4, 2) : 'SSE',
    (4, 4, 4, 2) : 'SE',
    (4, 4, 3, 3) : 'SEE',
    (4, 4, 2, 4) : 'E',
    (4, 3, 3, 4) : 'NEE',
    (4, 2, 4, 4) : 'NE',
    (3, 3, 4, 4) : 'NNE',
}

Then, a simple lookup would give you the direction for a given set of values:

    print direction[ ( int(A), int(B), int(C), int(D) ) ]

The reason that I used the integer values instead of the floats as originally specified is because I'm not sure about any tolerance for the float values that are read and that the tuple from integer values results in a series of unique keys. Note that any tuple that's not found would result in an KeyError exception raised. If you want to avoid this, then:

    print directions.get( ( int(A), int(B), int(C), int(D) ), 'Unknown')

will print the direction or Unknown.

Also if you do go the Python route for your code, take a look at http://www.equi4.com/metakit/python.html. MetaKit provides an embedded database that's very easy to use but provides access to set arithmetic against the data without the need of SQL...

- Peter

On 6/4/05, Matt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I took more time and now see that there are 16 positions.

        A               B               C               D
N       2.35566 4.61546 4.61241 4.61116
NNW     2.33621 4.55952 4.56218 0.0659385
NW      4.59905 4.5828  4.58609 0.0642197
NWW     4.54929 4.54452 0.0621103       0.0647666
W       4.59999 4.58179 0.065626         4.58976
SWW     4.56851 0.0666416       0.0652354       4.54296
SW      4.59796 0.0608603       4.58374 4.58234
SSW     0.0680479       0.0581259       4.54874 4.54304
S       0.0635947       4.58179 4.58851 4.59101
SSE     0.0628135       4.56007 4.58554 2.33363
SE      4.60796 4.60702 4.60499 2.36136
SEE     4.59937 4.60163 3.16349 3.17145
E       4.62007 4.61171 2.35808 4.60921
NEE     4.61226 3.16583 3.16388 4.59976
NE      4.61484 2.35636 4.60866 4.61655
NNE     3.17927 3.16395 4.59999 4.6039

Which seems to be supported by this I found...
http://www.sensorsmag.com/articles/0501/34/main.shtml

Any clever way to convert values to directions ?
Or do I just kludge it with many IFs and ANDs ?

The second set of voltages is just the first set at half intensity. As I
recall, the voltage range is either 0-5 or 0-2.5 and the Volts2 is the same
readings interpreted over the smaller range. No additional information.

On Friday 03 June 2005 07:40 pm, Matt wrote:

> There appears to be 8 reed switches, and two rotating magnets arranged
> adjacently.
> Perhaps one is not a magnet, and just a counter weight.
>
> I marked one of these magnets and then rotated the vane shaft 45% and
> took a reading, and repeated until the marked magnet was back to the
> original position. (previous table)
>
> I've just checked though and there are other valuse combinations, and
> also a second set of four volt values.
> So perhaps there are more than eight recordable positions.
>
> volt.ALL       0.0658604, 0.0600009, 4.55241, 4.5428
> volt.A        0.0644541
> volt.B        0.0661729
> volt.C        4.54171
> volt.D        4.54741
> volt2.ALL     0.0352349 , 0.0302348, 0, 0
> volt2.A       0.0351568
> volt2.B       0.0298442
> volt2.C       0
> volt2.D       0
>
> More research needed...

Thank Peter,

That looks quite elegant, I think I will use Python, with RRD, there's a
Debian package available.

Regarding what data is stored, for the direction, saving the 0-15 integer
will be sufficient.
I read an interesting article on Consensus Averaging
(http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/index.html?target=p_30.html&lang=en-us),
but I think I should store the converted data (0-15) and do any averaging
later.
Would you agree ?

For the wind speed, I can calculate the speed from the rotation counter,
(http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/index.html?target=p_30.html&lang=en-us).
Should I store the difference between samples, the actual count digits or
the calculated speed ?
I'm inclined to store the difference.

Thanks

________________________________

        The second set of voltages is just the first set at half intensity.
As I
        recall, the voltage range is either 0-5 or 0-2.5 and the Volts2 is
the same
        readings interpreted over the smaller range. No additional
information.

        On Friday 03 June 2005 07:40 pm, Matt wrote:
        > There appears to be 8 reed switches, and two rotating magnets
arranged
        > adjacently.
        > Perhaps one is not a magnet, and just a counter weight.
        >
        > I marked one of these magnets and then rotated the vane shaft 45%
and
        > took a reading, and repeated until the marked magnet was back to
the
        > original position. (previous table)
        >
        > I've just checked though and there are other valuse combinations,
and
        > also a second set of four volt values.
        > So perhaps there are more than eight recordable positions.
        >
        > volt.ALL       0.0658604, 0.0600009, 4.55241, 4.5428
        > volt.A        0.0644541
        > volt.B        0.0661729
        > volt.C        4.54171
        > volt.D        4.54741
        > volt2.ALL     0.0352349 , 0.0302348, 0, 0
        > volt2.A       0.0351568
        > volt2.B       0.0298442
        > volt2.C       0
        > volt2.D       0
        >
        > More research needed...

Yahoo!
        > Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your
own
        > Applications - visit
        > http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=fad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
<http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=fad-ysdn-ostg-q22005>
you
        > shotput a projector? How fast can you ride your desk chair down
the
        > office luge track? If you want to score the big prize, get to know
the
        little guy.
http://www.necitguy.com/?r=20
you
        shotput a projector? How fast can you ride your desk chair down the
office
        luge track?

RE: 1wire weather station v3

Alfille, Paul H.,M.D.
That looks quite elegant, I think I will use Python, with RRD, there's a
Debian package available.

Regarding what data is stored, for the direction, saving the 0-15 integer
will be sufficient.
I read an interesting article on Consensus Averaging
(http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/index.html?target=p_30.html&lang=en-us),
but I think I should store the converted data (0-15) and do any averaging
later.
Would you agree ?

Sure, or you could be more elegant, and do a weighted average by windspeed. (sum
V*[sin(theta),cos(theta)]/(sum V) to get the  average vector.

For the wind speed, I can calculate the speed from the rotation counter,
(http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/index.html?target=p_30.html&lang=en-us).
Should I store the difference between samples, the actual count digits or
the calculated speed ?
I'm inclined to store the difference.

RRD offers you the choice, it will store that difference automatically.

Thanks