Arduino yun as wifi 1wire master

Dr. Trigon
My intention was not to run owfs on the Yun, but use the Yun as master connected by ethernet/wifi to an owfs server (like enet e.g.).

1wire === Yun as 1wire Master === owfs server

Where the connection between Yun and owfs server is a wifi.

How can I connect an raspi zero via wifi to my owfs server and use the bitbang? I would like to avoid using Maxim chips if possible - should be open.

The ESP8266 looks intressting but I don't like having wifi on every single sensor - don't like this IoT stuff. Would like to have 1 1wire master connected by wifi to my home lan and the owfs server running on another machine there.

This master should be possible to run from battery, btw.

DrTrigon

Re: Arduino yun as wifi 1wire master

Jan Kandziora
Am 20.07.2017 um 12:45 schrieb Dr. Trigon:

> My intention was not to run owfs on the Yun, but use the Yun as
> master connected by ethernet/wifi to an owfs server (like enet
> e.g.).
>
> 1wire === Yun as 1wire Master === owfs server
>
> Where the connection between Yun and owfs server is a wifi.
>
> How can I connect an raspi zero via wifi to my owfs server and use
> the bitbang? I would like to avoid using Maxim chips if possible -
> should be open.

The Raspberry Pi Zero W is pretty similar to the Raspberry Pi B+. You
can use the standard Rasbian or any other Linux distro meant for the
Raspberry (there are several.)

The 40-pin extension header is also the same as on the other
Raspberries, so you can use all the manuals and premanufactured
extensions boards OOTB. The only things that are missing are the bulky
USB-A and Ethernet connectors. (It even has HDMI.)

Bitbanging onewire is supported through the w1 kernel driver. That's the
same as with the Arduino Yun, I think.

> The ESP8266 looks intressting but I don't like having wifi on every
> single sensor - don't like this IoT stuff. Would like to have 1 1wire
> master connected by wifi to my home lan and the owfs server running
> on another machine there.
>
> This master should be possible to run from battery, btw.

Both the Arduino Yun and the Raspberry Pi Zero W have similar power
requirements. About 2W for the SoC.

If "by battery" you mean a "small battery" then - forget it. Wifi alone
need about 600mW of power. That's for any board.

Re: Arduino yun as wifi 1wire master

CReese
If you prefer no wifi and want to run on battery, I'd suggest something like a Moteino: RF arduino clones. You can bitbang 1W and they have very low power requirements. A central gateway node on your Pi to aggregate and you're set. How and if you shove this into owfs is up to you, but I've never gone this route.

As far as reading directly from the Pi, avoiding maxim chips is a fool's errand when a performant $2 bus master like the DS2483 is available.