Arduino yun as wifi 1wire master

Dr. Trigon
Lets 's start new.

I want a 1wire net outdoors. I want to avoid drilling hole into my brick walls. So here the options:
1. squeeze cable beween window an wall
2. build wireless 1wire thingy e.g. RF or optical to connect through window
3. have a 1wire master like linkhube [1] sitting outdoors and connect throgh wifi into my inhouse lan

[1] https://www.ibuttonlink.com/products/linkhube

1 is what I am doing and its bullshit. 2 is what I tried to e.g. using the new I2C chip etc. blabla - I do not see how this could ever work. So 3 is now what I am trying. Any other better ideas are welcome. I want to use wifi for one 1wire master outdoors but not for every single sensor. As FHEM can use an Arduino as 1wire Master I came up with the Yun idea. Raspi Zero is fine too, but someone needs to tell me how to set the software up, how to build the stuff together. I don't want to run another instance of owfs on those devices as they should act as master and not owfs servers.
Basically I could write a sketch for Arduino that emulates linkhube master and then should be able to connect this to owserver but that would be quite some effort given FHEM has already a solution for this...
The power btw. is no concern, if needed I can use a car battery... ;))

Greetings
DrTrigon

Re: Arduino yun as wifi 1wire master

Alastair D'Silva

For my pool solar controller, I use an HLK-RM04 module running OpenWRT and a USB9097 1 wire master. If I was doing it again, I would an Orange Pi Zero or simlar to reduce the cost.

Re: Arduino yun as wifi 1wire master

Alastair D'Silva

Whoops, I hit send too early…

OWFS servers can import devices from other OWFS instances on other machines. I have found this to be a bit problematic on unreliable links though (this was a couple of years ago, things may have improved since).

Regarding battery power, you’re not going to get Wifi and pure battery power to last a reasonable amount of time. You could however get solar + battery to run indefinitely.

I’m not sure about the construction where you are, but here in Australia, we would get a cable outside by running it through the roof cavity, and then drill through the eaves (normally made from fibreboard) to drop the cable outside.

Am 22.07.2017 um 12:24 schrieb Dr. Trigon:

> Raspi Zero is fine too, but someone needs
> to tell me how to set the software up, how to build the stuff
> together.

1. You buy a Raspberry Pi Zero W.
2. You put an Raspian image (minimal will do) from the Raspberry Pi
website onto an >2GB micro SD card and put it into the Pi.
3. You switch on the thing, connect a HDMI screen and keyboard to it,
then login into this little Linux box in front of you.
4. You configure Wifi and Internet connection to get the thing connected
to your indoors equipment and load software form the internet.
5. You apt-get the owserver package and edit the raspi's
/boot/config.txt to include the w1-gpio overlay on GPIO4. Reboot.
6. You now have a 3.3V onewire on GPIO4, available through Wifi, TCP
port 4304. This is what owserver does.
7. Your indoor devices can connect to that owserver on the Raspberry via
-s <raspi-ip>:4304 command line option.
8. Congrats. You are done.

> I don't want to run another instance of owfs on those
> devices as they should act as master and not owfs servers.

I don't know what weird idea you have about how owserver works but it's
designed explicitely for the thing you want to do. I use it that way in
my setups.

It is "bullshit" (to use your words) to avoid owserver just because you
… yeah, what … don't know it better?

> Basically
> I could write a sketch for Arduino that emulates linkhube master and
> then should be able to connect this to owserver but that would be
> quite some effort given FHEM has already a solution for this... The
> power btw. is no concern, if needed I can use a car battery... ;))

This means reinventing the wheel. Have fun.

Re: Arduino yun as wifi 1wire master

Stefano Miccoli

On 22 Jul 2017, at 12:24, Dr. Trigon <[hidden email]> wrote:

I don't want to run another instance of owfs on those devices as they should act as master and not owfs servers.

What you need is an IP protocol that allows you to access a remote 1-wire network: owserver (the protocol) was designed exactly to address this problem, see http://owfs.org/index.php?page=owserver-protocol

Documentation and terminology are … a little hard to understand, so let my try to explain it here.

First one should understand that “owserver” has many meanings:

- owserver-protocol: the TCP messaging protocol used by OWFS components to communicate over IP
- owserver-server: an agent that plays the server role in an owserver-protocol message exchange
- owserver-client: an agent that plays the client side in the owserver-protocol
- owserver-daemon: the program, which is the main OWFS owserver-server, but that can act also as an owserver-client.

The OWFS way to solve your problem is that on each remote 1-wire network you should have an owserver-daemon running (Please note: only the owserver-daemon, not the full stack of owhttp, owftp, owfs, etc.) Each owserver-daemon controls one or more 1-wire masters, and acts as an owserver-server, over a common IP network, say a WiFi LAN. Owserver-clients can query over IP the various owserver-daemons (acting as owserver-servers) about the remote 1-wire networks they are controlling.

To make things a little bit more complicated, you should know that an owserver-daemon can be configured to be an owserver-client of a remote owserver-server: this means that the owserver-daemon is now able to present the remote 1-wire devices as local ones… Please see http://owfs.org/index.php?page=loop-suppression for different owserver-server network topologies examples and the built-in loop suppression mechanism.

This is what OWFS has to offer: if you keep it simple (owserver-daemons acting only as owserver-servers) it is quite simple to configure and manage. Of course owserver-clients should know which owserver-server query. However if you prefer, you can merge all remote 1-wire networks into a single “virtual” 1-wire network, by using the owserver-daemon client capabilities, so that your to your clients all 1-wire devices are presented as if they were on a single 1-wire network.

Of course you can invent your own 1-wire-over-IP protocol and implement it in the micro-controller of your choice, or even emulate the LINK protocol. But it is much, much more complicated that having multiple owserver-daemons running on your network.

Hope my explanation was at least understandable.

Bye

Stefano

---

BTW the Yún is a 65€ device in which you have two parallel environments talking to each other: Arduino and Linux (Linino OS, based on OpenWRT). Linux specs are really minimal: 64MB DDR2 RAM, 400MHz clock speed.

On the contrary the Pi Zero W is a 10€ device, which runs a full-fledged Linux (or windows 10, if you prefer) with 1GB Ram, running at 1GHz.

Spending 55€ just for having an Arduino bit-banging the 1-wire protocol makes no sense to me.