Cable Length

12

Cable Length

Peter Hollenbeck
My DS18B20 works over 34 feet of Cat5e but not over 160 feet.
Resistance for the 160 foot wire is 4.7 ohms, 0.29 ohms per foot.
Resistance for the 34 foot wire is 0.9 ohms, 0.26 ohms per foot.

Both lengths of cable are from the same 200 foot length.

Is my 160 foot cable too long or might I have another problem?
I have read that 1wire is good for 100 meters over Catx.

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Cable Length

CReese
Don't use Cat5. Just get some good 22/3 or 22/4. It's cheap and easy to
find.

On 6/1/2016 12:07 PM, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:

> My DS18B20 works over 34 feet of Cat5e but not over 160 feet.
> Resistance for the 160 foot wire is 4.7 ohms, 0.29 ohms per foot.
> Resistance for the 34 foot wire is 0.9 ohms, 0.26 ohms per foot.
>
> Both lengths of cable are from the same 200 foot length.
>
> Is my 160 foot cable too long or might I have another problem?
> I have read that 1wire is good for 100 meters over Catx.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Re: Cable Length

Peter Hollenbeck
Any thoughts on outdoor use? I will look online but thought I would ask.
Peter

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Colin Reese <[hidden email]> wrote:
Don't use Cat5. Just get some good 22/3 or 22/4. It's cheap and easy to
find.

On 6/1/2016 12:07 PM, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
> My DS18B20 works over 34 feet of Cat5e but not over 160 feet.
> Resistance for the 160 foot wire is 4.7 ohms, 0.29 ohms per foot.
> Resistance for the 34 foot wire is 0.9 ohms, 0.26 ohms per foot.
>
> Both lengths of cable are from the same 200 foot length.
>
> Is my 160 foot cable too long or might I have another problem?
> I have read that 1wire is good for 100 meters over Catx.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Re: Cable Length

Am 01.06.2016 um 21:07 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> My DS18B20 works over 34 feet of Cat5e but not over 160 feet.
> Resistance for the 160 foot wire is 4.7 ohms, 0.29 ohms per foot.
> Resistance for the 34 foot wire is 0.9 ohms, 0.26 ohms per foot.

Resistance is the limiting factor if you are delivering power through
the cable. Do you?

In all other cases, resistance, inductance, capacitance is the limiting
factor, at they all lengthen the rise times of signals over the limit.

What kind of host circuit do you use? The infamous 4,7k to 3.3V pullup?

> I have read that 1wire is good for 100 meters over Catx.

Simple telephone wire is better for Onewire.

Re: Cable Length

CReese
There is plenty of industrial quality cable that fits these purposes.
Furthermore, it's typically stranded, whereas most varieties of spooled
Cat5/6 will be solid core, which is not as durable and more difficult to
terminate in, say, terminal blocks -- especially spring-loaded.

I use this stuff all over the place for 1Wire, RTDs, and other sensor
cabling and IO. It is typically far more durable than your average cat5.
With only a few conductors, you will get a much thicker, durable,
weather and fire-proof cable at a smaller diameter.

Am 01.06.2016 um 22:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> Any thoughts on outdoor use?

The outdoor circuit has to be insulated tightly. There should be no
connection of any wire to earth. That means also no connection through
rust stain and water.

Re: Cable Length

Peter Hollenbeck
Am using a LinkUSB connected to a Raspberry Pi.
Not 1wire-smart,
Peter

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 01.06.2016 um 21:07 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> My DS18B20 works over 34 feet of Cat5e but not over 160 feet.
> Resistance for the 160 foot wire is 4.7 ohms, 0.29 ohms per foot.
> Resistance for the 34 foot wire is 0.9 ohms, 0.26 ohms per foot.

Resistance is the limiting factor if you are delivering power through
the cable. Do you?

In all other cases, resistance, inductance, capacitance is the limiting
factor, at they all lengthen the rise times of signals over the limit.

What kind of host circuit do you use? The infamous 4,7k to 3.3V pullup?

> I have read that 1wire is good for 100 meters over Catx.

Simple telephone wire is better for Onewire.

Re: Cable Length

CReese
Something like this is suitable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Security-Alarm-Cable-22-3-7-Strand-Riser-CMR-Rated-Shielded-1000-Gray-ASC2-326-/361394994944?hash=item5424d1ff00:g:BYEAAOSw37tWAyLk

For exterior connectors, I avoid at all costs, but if necessary:

http://www.alliedelec.com/lumberg-automation-hirschmann-rkc-4-7/70050957/

On 6/1/2016 1:41 PM, Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Am 01.06.2016 um 22:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
>> Any thoughts on outdoor use?
>>
> The outdoor circuit has to be insulated tightly. There should be no
> connection of any wire to earth. That means also no connection through
> rust stain and water.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Jan

Re: Cable Length

CReese
Yes, in this case you will need to make your own 8P8C --> three
conductor pigtail and butt-splice or screw-terminals on a piece of
protoboard. No biggie.

On 6/1/2016 1:44 PM, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:

> Am using a LinkUSB connected to a Raspberry Pi.
> Not 1wire-smart,
> Peter
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Am 01.06.2016 um 21:07 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
>     > My DS18B20 works over 34 feet of Cat5e but not over 160 feet.
>     > Resistance for the 160 foot wire is 4.7 ohms, 0.29 ohms per foot.
>     > Resistance for the 34 foot wire is 0.9 ohms, 0.26 ohms per foot.
>     >
>     Resistance is the limiting factor if you are delivering power through
>     the cable. Do you?
>
>     In all other cases, resistance, inductance, capacitance is the limiting
>     factor, at they all lengthen the rise times of signals over the limit.
>

>     What kind of host circuit do you use? The infamous 4,7k to 3.3V pullup?
>

>     > I have read that 1wire is good for 100 meters over Catx.
>     >
>     Simple telephone wire is better for Onewire.
>
>     Kind regards
>
>             Jan

>     What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
>     traffic
>     patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and
>     protocols are
>     consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
>     J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
>     planning reports.
>     https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/305295220;132659582;e

Re: Cable Length

Peter Hollenbeck
Colin,
Thanks very much, especially for the tip on Lumberg connectors. I have been wanting such for a long time.
Peter

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Colin Reese <[hidden email]> wrote:
Something like this is suitable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Security-Alarm-Cable-22-3-7-Strand-Riser-CMR-Rated-Shielded-1000-Gray-ASC2-326-/361394994944?hash=item5424d1ff00:g:BYEAAOSw37tWAyLk

For exterior connectors, I avoid at all costs, but if necessary:

http://www.alliedelec.com/lumberg-automation-hirschmann-rkc-4-7/70050957/

On 6/1/2016 1:41 PM, Jan Kandziora wrote:
> Am 01.06.2016 um 22:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
>> Any thoughts on outdoor use?
>>
> The outdoor circuit has to be insulated tightly. There should be no
> connection of any wire to earth. That means also no connection through
> rust stain and water.
>
> Kind regards
>
>       Jan

Re: Cable Length

CReese
Of course.

The gender complement is this guy:

http://www.alliedelec.com/lumberg-automation-hirschmann-rsc-4-7/70050935/

They're not cheap at about $20/pr, but they are both IP67 and also
field-serviceable (internal screw terminals). This is a rare combination
that customers who do not want to solder really appreciate. I run
5V/Data/Gnd/Shield as a standard pinout.

On 6/1/2016 2:34 PM, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:

> Colin,
> Thanks very much, especially for the tip on Lumberg connectors. I have
> been wanting such for a long time.
> Peter
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Colin Reese <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Something like this is suitable:
>
>     http://www.ebay.com/itm/Security-Alarm-Cable-22-3-7-Strand-Riser-CMR-Rated-Shielded-1000-Gray-ASC2-326-/361394994944?hash=item5424d1ff00:g:BYEAAOSw37tWAyLk
>
>     For exterior connectors, I avoid at all costs, but if necessary:
>
>     http://www.alliedelec.com/lumberg-automation-hirschmann-rkc-4-7/70050957/

>     On 6/1/2016 1:41 PM, Jan Kandziora wrote:
>     > Am 01.06.2016 um 22:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
>     >> Any thoughts on outdoor use?
>     >>
>     > The outdoor circuit has to be insulated tightly. There should be no
>     > connection of any wire to earth. That means also no connection through
>     > rust stain and water.
>     >
>     > Kind regards
>     >
>     >       Jan
>     >
>     >
>     > What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth
>     and traffic
>     > patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and
>     protocols are
>     > consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for
>     NetFlow,
>     > J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
>     > planning reports.
>     https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/305295220;132659582;e
>     > Owfs-developers mailing list
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
>     >

>     What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
>     traffic
>     patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and
>     protocols are
>     consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
>     J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
>     planning reports.
>     https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/305295220;132659582;e

Re: Cable Length

Steinar Midtskogen
I struggled a few years with the most terrible connectors that you can
use outdoors, rj12 or rj45, then switched to XLR connectors, which are
cheap and sturdy.  You can get IP67 rated XLR connectors as well, but
even the cheapest XLR connectors seem to work well with basic humidity
protection.

I made a couple of switchboxes using XLR connectors and put them in
metal mailboxes.  They've worked well for about 10 years now.

-Steinar

Colin Reese <[hidden email]> writes:

> Of course.
>
> The gender complement is this guy:
>
> http://www.alliedelec.com/lumberg-automation-hirschmann-rsc-4-7/70050935/
>
> They're not cheap at about $20/pr, but they are both IP67 and also
> field-serviceable (internal screw terminals). This is a rare combination
> that customers who do not want to solder really appreciate. I run
> 5V/Data/Gnd/Shield as a standard pinout.

Re: Cable Length

CReese
You have a source for ip rated with screw terminals? I never found one. I looked at xlr some time ago and was unsatisfied with what I found. Another equipment vendor I know uses them, but 'pretty waterproof' is insufficient for an end-user product if I sell it on.

Colin

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Steinar Midtskogen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I struggled a few years with the most terrible connectors that you can
> use outdoors, rj12 or rj45, then switched to XLR connectors, which are
> cheap and sturdy.  You can get IP67 rated XLR connectors as well, but
> even the cheapest XLR connectors seem to work well with basic humidity
> protection.
>
> I made a couple of switchboxes using XLR connectors and put them in
> metal mailboxes.  They've worked well for about 10 years now.
>
> -Steinar
>
> Colin Reese <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Of course.
>>
>> The gender complement is this guy:
>>
>> http://www.alliedelec.com/lumberg-automation-hirschmann-rsc-4-7/70050935/
>>
>> They're not cheap at about $20/pr, but they are both IP67 and also
>> field-serviceable (internal screw terminals). This is a rare combination
>> that customers who do not want to solder really appreciate. I run
>> 5V/Data/Gnd/Shield as a standard pinout.

Re: Cable Length

Peter Hollenbeck
My cable issues don't yet have to do with connectors. From posts I have read here I was under the impression that 1wire would work over Cat5 up to 100m. Not for me. I am testing with one sensor, a waterproof DS18B20 from Adafruit. Longest cable that works is about 45 feet. I have tried a LinkUSB and a HobbyBoards powered master. Using a Raspberry Pi.

Peter

I just said:
"My cable issues don't yet have to do with connectors. From posts I have read here I was under the impression that 1wire would work over Cat5 up to 100m. Not for me. I am testing with one sensor, a waterproof DS18B20 from Adafruit. Longest cable that works is about 45 feet. I have tried a LinkUSB and a HobbyBoards powered master. Using a Raspberry Pi."

Correction:
I just tested with a 100 feet of different Cat5E and it works.
The cable that doesn't work is off a 200 foot length of outdoor Cat5 bought online. What is the chance that this latter cable is faulty. It tests good with a able tester, but that is just continuity. What other factors are there?

How can I buy cable and know it's good stuff and not junk?? (I need 170 feet.)

I'm on a remote island in B.C. Canada. Cannot go to the corner store and buy more cable.

Thanks,
Peter

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
My cable issues don't yet have to do with connectors. From posts I have read here I was under the impression that 1wire would work over Cat5 up to 100m. Not for me. I am testing with one sensor, a waterproof DS18B20 from Adafruit. Longest cable that works is about 45 feet. I have tried a LinkUSB and a HobbyBoards powered master. Using a Raspberry Pi.

Peter

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Colin Reese <[hidden email]> wrote:
You have a source for ip rated with screw terminals? I never found one. I looked at xlr some time ago and was unsatisfied with what I found. Another equipment vendor I know uses them, but 'pretty waterproof' is insufficient for an end-user product if I sell it on.

Colin

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Steinar Midtskogen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I struggled a few years with the most terrible connectors that you can
> use outdoors, rj12 or rj45, then switched to XLR connectors, which are
> cheap and sturdy.  You can get IP67 rated XLR connectors as well, but
> even the cheapest XLR connectors seem to work well with basic humidity
> protection.
>
> I made a couple of switchboxes using XLR connectors and put them in
> metal mailboxes.  They've worked well for about 10 years now.
>
> -Steinar
>
> Colin Reese <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Of course.
>>
>> The gender complement is this guy:
>>
>> http://www.alliedelec.com/lumberg-automation-hirschmann-rsc-4-7/70050935/
>>
>> They're not cheap at about $20/pr, but they are both IP67 and also
>> field-serviceable (internal screw terminals). This is a rare combination
>> that customers who do not want to solder really appreciate. I run
>> 5V/Data/Gnd/Shield as a standard pinout.

Re: Cable Length

CReese
Well, the best way to use it would be to double twisted pairs as like conductors, but you'd have to do your own breakout for that. It would be well worth it.

i.e.:

BLU - 5V
BLU/WHT - 5V
GRN - GND
GRN/WHT - GND
BRN - DATA
BRN/WHT - DATA

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just said:
"My cable issues don't yet have to do with connectors. From posts I have read here I was under the impression that 1wire would work over Cat5 up to 100m. Not for me. I am testing with one sensor, a waterproof DS18B20 from Adafruit. Longest cable that works is about 45 feet. I have tried a LinkUSB and a HobbyBoards powered master. Using a Raspberry Pi."

Correction:
I just tested with a 100 feet of different Cat5E and it works.
The cable that doesn't work is off a 200 foot length of outdoor Cat5 bought online. What is the chance that this latter cable is faulty. It tests good with a able tester, but that is just continuity. What other factors are there?

How can I buy cable and know it's good stuff and not junk?? (I need 170 feet.)

I'm on a remote island in B.C. Canada. Cannot go to the corner store and buy more cable.

Thanks,
Peter

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
My cable issues don't yet have to do with connectors. From posts I have read here I was under the impression that 1wire would work over Cat5 up to 100m. Not for me. I am testing with one sensor, a waterproof DS18B20 from Adafruit. Longest cable that works is about 45 feet. I have tried a LinkUSB and a HobbyBoards powered master. Using a Raspberry Pi.

Peter

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Colin Reese <[hidden email]> wrote:
You have a source for ip rated with screw terminals? I never found one. I looked at xlr some time ago and was unsatisfied with what I found. Another equipment vendor I know uses them, but 'pretty waterproof' is insufficient for an end-user product if I sell it on.

Colin

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Steinar Midtskogen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I struggled a few years with the most terrible connectors that you can
> use outdoors, rj12 or rj45, then switched to XLR connectors, which are
> cheap and sturdy.  You can get IP67 rated XLR connectors as well, but
> even the cheapest XLR connectors seem to work well with basic humidity
> protection.
>
> I made a couple of switchboxes using XLR connectors and put them in
> metal mailboxes.  They've worked well for about 10 years now.
>
> -Steinar
>
> Colin Reese <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Of course.
>>
>> The gender complement is this guy:
>>
>> http://www.alliedelec.com/lumberg-automation-hirschmann-rsc-4-7/70050935/
>>
>> They're not cheap at about $20/pr, but they are both IP67 and also
>> field-serviceable (internal screw terminals). This is a rare combination
>> that customers who do not want to solder really appreciate. I run
>> 5V/Data/Gnd/Shield as a standard pinout.

Re: Cable Length

brucek-2
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/is-your-cat6-a-dog.htm

say no more...
Bruce

> [...]

>> combination

>> > What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
>> traffic
>> > patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and
>> protocols are
>> > consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
>> > J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
>> > planning reports.
>> https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/305295220;132659582;e

>> What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
>> traffic
>> patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols
>> are
>> consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
>> J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity

jerry scharf

I'm not sure what you are doing, but I have two long runs with 10s of 18b20s on at least a couple hundred feet of cat5. The way I do it is 1 pair for +5, 1 pair for ground and one pair that is out and back data lines to the punch down panel (I know it's a bus, but star wiring is way easier in a building.) I hate to think what the effective capacitance on the data line is. Driven by two different Link interfaces.

I do get occasional errors, but it works pretty well.

jerry

On 06/06/2016 04:28 PM, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
My cable issues don't yet have to do with connectors. From posts I have read here I was under the impression that 1wire would work over Cat5 up to 100m. Not for me. I am testing with one sensor, a waterproof DS18B20 from Adafruit. Longest cable that works is about 45 feet. I have tried a LinkUSB and a HobbyBoards powered master. Using a Raspberry Pi.

Peter

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Colin Reese <[hidden email]> wrote:
You have a source for ip rated with screw terminals? I never found one. I looked at xlr some time ago and was unsatisfied with what I found. Another equipment vendor I know uses them, but 'pretty waterproof' is insufficient for an end-user product if I sell it on.

Colin

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Steinar Midtskogen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I struggled a few years with the most terrible connectors that you can
> use outdoors, rj12 or rj45, then switched to XLR connectors, which are
> cheap and sturdy.  You can get IP67 rated XLR connectors as well, but
> even the cheapest XLR connectors seem to work well with basic humidity
> protection.
>
> I made a couple of switchboxes using XLR connectors and put them in
> metal mailboxes.  They've worked well for about 10 years now.
>
> -Steinar
>
> Colin Reese <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Of course.
>>
>> The gender complement is this guy:
>>
>> http://www.alliedelec.com/lumberg-automation-hirschmann-rsc-4-7/70050935/
>>
>> They're not cheap at about $20/pr, but they are both IP67 and also
>> field-serviceable (internal screw terminals). This is a rare combination
>> that customers who do not want to solder really appreciate. I run
>> 5V/Data/Gnd/Shield as a standard pinout.

Re: Cable Length

Peter Hollenbeck
I am becoming convinced that the wire I bought is faulty.
I guess I'll have to get 200 feet of quality Cat5 and maybe use your wiring method.
Thanks,
Peter

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Jerry Scharf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure what you are doing, but I have two long runs with 10s of 18b20s on at least a couple hundred feet of cat5. The way I do it is 1 pair for +5, 1 pair for ground and one pair that is out and back data lines to the punch down panel (I know it's a bus, but star wiring is way easier in a building.) I hate to think what the effective capacitance on the data line is. Driven by two different Link interfaces.

I do get occasional errors, but it works pretty well.

jerry

On 06/06/2016 04:28 PM, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
My cable issues don't yet have to do with connectors. From posts I have read here I was under the impression that 1wire would work over Cat5 up to 100m. Not for me. I am testing with one sensor, a waterproof DS18B20 from Adafruit. Longest cable that works is about 45 feet. I have tried a LinkUSB and a HobbyBoards powered master. Using a Raspberry Pi.

Peter

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Colin Reese <[hidden email]> wrote:
You have a source for ip rated with screw terminals? I never found one. I looked at xlr some time ago and was unsatisfied with what I found. Another equipment vendor I know uses them, but 'pretty waterproof' is insufficient for an end-user product if I sell it on.

Colin

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Steinar Midtskogen <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I struggled a few years with the most terrible connectors that you can
> use outdoors, rj12 or rj45, then switched to XLR connectors, which are
> cheap and sturdy.  You can get IP67 rated XLR connectors as well, but
> even the cheapest XLR connectors seem to work well with basic humidity
> protection.
>
> I made a couple of switchboxes using XLR connectors and put them in
> metal mailboxes.  They've worked well for about 10 years now.
>
> -Steinar
>
> Colin Reese <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Of course.
>>
>> The gender complement is this guy:
>>
>> http://www.alliedelec.com/lumberg-automation-hirschmann-rsc-4-7/70050935/
>>
>> They're not cheap at about $20/pr, but they are both IP67 and also
>> field-serviceable (internal screw terminals). This is a rare combination
>> that customers who do not want to solder really appreciate. I run
>> 5V/Data/Gnd/Shield as a standard pinout.

Re: Cable Length

Peter Hollenbeck
In what way is using a pair better than using a single conductor.
(It's obvious I know little about this.)