Counter?

12

Counter?

Peter Hollenbeck
I would like to count revolutions of an anemometer, perhaps this one:
http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp

I would appreciate suggestion on how to implement a counter.
Thanks,
Peter

Re: Counter?

Jan Kandziora
Am 19.10.2016 um 00:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> I would like to count revolutions of an anemometer, perhaps this one:
> http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp
>
> I would appreciate suggestion on how to implement a counter.

You could use the DS2423, or some of the homebrewn DS2423 replacements
out there. As it has a reed switch, you need some debouncing on the input:

         ^ +5V

        10kΩ

   .-----+-------> DS2423 input
   |     |
   o     |
 \      100nF
  \      |
   o     |
   |     |
  ===   ===  GND

These values give you ~1ms, which should be enough to debounce the
switch and which is fast enough for 500Hz (== 1250mph for this anemometer.)

Re: Counter?

Peter Hollenbeck
Thanks. I'll work on it.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 19.10.2016 um 00:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> I would like to count revolutions of an anemometer, perhaps this one:
> http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp
>
> I would appreciate suggestion on how to implement a counter.

You could use the DS2423, or some of the homebrewn DS2423 replacements
out there. As it has a reed switch, you need some debouncing on the input:

         ^ +5V

        10kΩ

   .-----+-------> DS2423 input
   |     |
   o     |
 \      100nF
  \      |
   o     |
   |     |
  ===   ===  GND

These values give you ~1ms, which should be enough to debounce the
switch and which is fast enough for 500Hz (== 1250mph for this anemometer.)

Re: Counter?

Andrew Errington
The DS2423 is discontinued and hard to find these days.

I built this, which is a DS2423 implemented on an ATtiny:
https://www.tm3d.de/index.php/1-wire-device-mit-avr

It works, but the address is hard-coded.  There is a utility to generate new addresses if you will have more than one in your network.

I also changed the fuse settings to lower the brownout detection voltage as I was running it at 3.3V, not 5V.

I used it on a Raspberry Pi 3.  It didn't work with the native w1_ds2423 module, but it did work with OWFS using the w1 driver.

HTH,

Andrew

On 19 October 2016 at 10:36, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I'll work on it.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 19.10.2016 um 00:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> I would like to count revolutions of an anemometer, perhaps this one:
> http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp
>
> I would appreciate suggestion on how to implement a counter.

You could use the DS2423, or some of the homebrewn DS2423 replacements
out there. As it has a reed switch, you need some debouncing on the input:

         ^ +5V

        10kΩ

   .-----+-------> DS2423 input
   |     |
   o     |
 \      100nF
  \      |
   o     |
   |     |
  ===   ===  GND

These values give you ~1ms, which should be enough to debounce the
switch and which is fast enough for 500Hz (== 1250mph for this anemometer.)

Re: Counter?

Peter Hollenbeck
Thanks again.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Andrew Errington <[hidden email]> wrote:
The DS2423 is discontinued and hard to find these days.

I built this, which is a DS2423 implemented on an ATtiny:
https://www.tm3d.de/index.php/1-wire-device-mit-avr

It works, but the address is hard-coded.  There is a utility to generate new addresses if you will have more than one in your network.

I also changed the fuse settings to lower the brownout detection voltage as I was running it at 3.3V, not 5V.

I used it on a Raspberry Pi 3.  It didn't work with the native w1_ds2423 module, but it did work with OWFS using the w1 driver.

HTH,

Andrew

On 19 October 2016 at 10:36, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I'll work on it.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 19.10.2016 um 00:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> I would like to count revolutions of an anemometer, perhaps this one:
> http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp
>
> I would appreciate suggestion on how to implement a counter.

You could use the DS2423, or some of the homebrewn DS2423 replacements
out there. As it has a reed switch, you need some debouncing on the input:

         ^ +5V

        10kΩ

   .-----+-------> DS2423 input
   |     |
   o     |
 \      100nF
  \      |
   o     |
   |     |
  ===   ===  GND

These values give you ~1ms, which should be enough to debounce the
switch and which is fast enough for 500Hz (== 1250mph for this anemometer.)

Re: Counter?

Matthias Urlichs-3
On 19.10.2016 03:59, Andrew Errington wrote:
> The DS2423 is discontinued and hard to find these days.
>
> I built this, which is a DS2423 implemented on an ATtiny:
> https://www.tm3d.de/index.php/1-wire-device-mit-avr
… and if you want to be a bit more involved, MoaT also has code for
emulating the DS2423 (as well as "native" counters).

--
-- Matthias Urlichs

Re: Counter?

Nigel Titley

There's also this

http://www.brain4home.eu/node/4

which would seem to be perfect for the job, but I've been completely unable to get any response from Pascal either to requests for pin-out information or to requests to buy it (Pascal, if you are listening to this list, please get back to me)

Nigel

On 19/10/16 02:59, Andrew Errington wrote:
The DS2423 is discontinued and hard to find these days.

I built this, which is a DS2423 implemented on an ATtiny:
https://www.tm3d.de/index.php/1-wire-device-mit-avr

It works, but the address is hard-coded.  There is a utility to generate new addresses if you will have more than one in your network.

I also changed the fuse settings to lower the brownout detection voltage as I was running it at 3.3V, not 5V.

I used it on a Raspberry Pi 3.  It didn't work with the native w1_ds2423 module, but it did work with OWFS using the w1 driver.

HTH,

Andrew

On 19 October 2016 at 10:36, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I'll work on it.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 19.10.2016 um 00:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> I would like to count revolutions of an anemometer, perhaps this one:
> http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp
>
> I would appreciate suggestion on how to implement a counter.

You could use the DS2423, or some of the homebrewn DS2423 replacements
out there. As it has a reed switch, you need some debouncing on the input:

         ^ +5V

        10kΩ

   .-----+-------> DS2423 input
   |     |
   o     |
 \      100nF
  \      |
   o     |
   |     |
  ===   ===  GND

These values give you ~1ms, which should be enough to debounce the
switch and which is fast enough for 500Hz (== 1250mph for this anemometer.)

Re: Counter?

Paul Everett
I have a load of these and have built four of them onto boards which are counting the flashes of the LED on the four electricity meters I have here (import, export and two solar PV systems). They work very well.

Paul Everett

On 19 Oct 2016, at 18:16, Nigel Titley <[hidden email]> wrote:

There's also this

http://www.brain4home.eu/node/4

which would seem to be perfect for the job, but I've been completely unable to get any response from Pascal either to requests for pin-out information or to requests to buy it (Pascal, if you are listening to this list, please get back to me)

Nigel

On 19/10/16 02:59, Andrew Errington wrote:
The DS2423 is discontinued and hard to find these days.

I built this, which is a DS2423 implemented on an ATtiny:
https://www.tm3d.de/index.php/1-wire-device-mit-avr

It works, but the address is hard-coded.  There is a utility to generate new addresses if you will have more than one in your network.

I also changed the fuse settings to lower the brownout detection voltage as I was running it at 3.3V, not 5V.

I used it on a Raspberry Pi 3.  It didn't work with the native w1_ds2423 module, but it did work with OWFS using the w1 driver.

HTH,

Andrew

On 19 October 2016 at 10:36, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I'll work on it.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 19.10.2016 um 00:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> I would like to count revolutions of an anemometer, perhaps this one:
> http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp
>
> I would appreciate suggestion on how to implement a counter.

You could use the DS2423, or some of the homebrewn DS2423 replacements
out there. As it has a reed switch, you need some debouncing on the input:

         ^ +5V

        10kΩ

   .-----+-------> DS2423 input
   |     |
   o     |
 \      100nF
  \      |
   o     |
   |     |
  ===   ===  GND

These values give you ~1ms, which should be enough to debounce the
switch and which is fast enough for 500Hz (== 1250mph for this anemometer.)

Re: Counter?

Peter Hollenbeck
"built four of them onto boards" ...
Breadboards?
Do you have a schematic for connecting to a 1wire network?
I can program but am an electronics moron.

Thanks,
Peter

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Paul Everett <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a load of these and have built four of them onto boards which are counting the flashes of the LED on the four electricity meters I have here (import, export and two solar PV systems). They work very well.

Paul Everett

On 19 Oct 2016, at 18:16, Nigel Titley <[hidden email]> wrote:

There's also this

http://www.brain4home.eu/node/4

which would seem to be perfect for the job, but I've been completely unable to get any response from Pascal either to requests for pin-out information or to requests to buy it (Pascal, if you are listening to this list, please get back to me)

Nigel

On 19/10/16 02:59, Andrew Errington wrote:
The DS2423 is discontinued and hard to find these days.

I built this, which is a DS2423 implemented on an ATtiny:
https://www.tm3d.de/index.php/1-wire-device-mit-avr

It works, but the address is hard-coded.  There is a utility to generate new addresses if you will have more than one in your network.

I also changed the fuse settings to lower the brownout detection voltage as I was running it at 3.3V, not 5V.

I used it on a Raspberry Pi 3.  It didn't work with the native w1_ds2423 module, but it did work with OWFS using the w1 driver.

HTH,

Andrew

On 19 October 2016 at 10:36, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I'll work on it.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 19.10.2016 um 00:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> I would like to count revolutions of an anemometer, perhaps this one:
> http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp
>
> I would appreciate suggestion on how to implement a counter.

You could use the DS2423, or some of the homebrewn DS2423 replacements
out there. As it has a reed switch, you need some debouncing on the input:

         ^ +5V

        10kΩ

   .-----+-------> DS2423 input
   |     |
   o     |
 \      100nF
  \      |
   o     |
   |     |
  ===   ===  GND

These values give you ~1ms, which should be enough to debounce the
switch and which is fast enough for 500Hz (== 1250mph for this anemometer.)

Re: Counter?

Paul Everett
Pascal at Brain4Home used to sell them on boards and although they are no longer available the documentation for them is all on the "Downloads" tab of his website. I based mine around the "TinyBoard", see here: http://www.brain4home.eu/downloads/BAE0910-tiny-board-usermanual.pdf

I built the first three on stripboard and then did a proper PCB for the fourth one which is essentially the same schematic as a "TinyBoard" but with extra connectors: http://www.idlers.org/BAE0910board.jpg

Paul

On 19/10/2016 21:06, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
"built four of them onto boards" ...
Breadboards?
Do you have a schematic for connecting to a 1wire network?
I can program but am an electronics moron.

Thanks,
Peter

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Paul Everett <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a load of these and have built four of them onto boards which are counting the flashes of the LED on the four electricity meters I have here (import, export and two solar PV systems). They work very well.

Paul Everett

On 19 Oct 2016, at 18:16, Nigel Titley <[hidden email]> wrote:

There's also this

http://www.brain4home.eu/node/4

which would seem to be perfect for the job, but I've been completely unable to get any response from Pascal either to requests for pin-out information or to requests to buy it (Pascal, if you are listening to this list, please get back to me)

Nigel

On 19/10/16 02:59, Andrew Errington wrote:
The DS2423 is discontinued and hard to find these days.

I built this, which is a DS2423 implemented on an ATtiny:
https://www.tm3d.de/index.php/1-wire-device-mit-avr

It works, but the address is hard-coded.  There is a utility to generate new addresses if you will have more than one in your network.

I also changed the fuse settings to lower the brownout detection voltage as I was running it at 3.3V, not 5V.

I used it on a Raspberry Pi 3.  It didn't work with the native w1_ds2423 module, but it did work with OWFS using the w1 driver.

HTH,

Andrew

On 19 October 2016 at 10:36, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I'll work on it.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 19.10.2016 um 00:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> I would like to count revolutions of an anemometer, perhaps this one:
> http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp
>
> I would appreciate suggestion on how to implement a counter.

You could use the DS2423, or some of the homebrewn DS2423 replacements
out there. As it has a reed switch, you need some debouncing on the input:

         ^ +5V

        10kΩ

   .-----+-------> DS2423 input
   |     |
   o     |
 \      100nF
  \      |
   o     |
   |     |
  ===   ===  GND

These values give you ~1ms, which should be enough to debounce the
switch and which is fast enough for 500Hz (== 1250mph for this anemometer.)

Paul Everett

Re: Counter?

Nigel Titley

Yes, I wish I could get Pascal to respond. I'd like to use one to build a board for talking to a wind vane and anenometer as my AAG weatherstation has gone the way of all flesh.

Nigel

On 19/10/16 18:26, Paul Everett wrote:
I have a load of these and have built four of them onto boards which are counting the flashes of the LED on the four electricity meters I have here (import, export and two solar PV systems). They work very well.

Paul Everett

On 19 Oct 2016, at 18:16, Nigel Titley <[hidden email]> wrote:

There's also this

http://www.brain4home.eu/node/4

which would seem to be perfect for the job, but I've been completely unable to get any response from Pascal either to requests for pin-out information or to requests to buy it (Pascal, if you are listening to this list, please get back to me)

Nigel

On 19/10/16 02:59, Andrew Errington wrote:
The DS2423 is discontinued and hard to find these days.

I built this, which is a DS2423 implemented on an ATtiny:
https://www.tm3d.de/index.php/1-wire-device-mit-avr

It works, but the address is hard-coded.  There is a utility to generate new addresses if you will have more than one in your network.

I also changed the fuse settings to lower the brownout detection voltage as I was running it at 3.3V, not 5V.

I used it on a Raspberry Pi 3.  It didn't work with the native w1_ds2423 module, but it did work with OWFS using the w1 driver.

HTH,

Andrew

On 19 October 2016 at 10:36, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I'll work on it.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 19.10.2016 um 00:33 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> I would like to count revolutions of an anemometer, perhaps this one:
> http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp
>
> I would appreciate suggestion on how to implement a counter.

You could use the DS2423, or some of the homebrewn DS2423 replacements
out there. As it has a reed switch, you need some debouncing on the input:

         ^ +5V

        10kΩ

   .-----+-------> DS2423 input
   |     |
   o     |
 \      100nF
  \      |
   o     |
   |     |
  ===   ===  GND

These values give you ~1ms, which should be enough to debounce the
switch and which is fast enough for 500Hz (== 1250mph for this anemometer.)

Re: Counter?

Nigel Titley

He still claims to sell the chips and even has a price list and estimated lead times, but he doesn't respond to requests to buy them.

Nigel

Am 19.10.2016 um 23:00 schrieb Nigel Titley:
> Yes, I wish I could get Pascal to respond. I'd like to use one to build
> a board for talking to a wind vane and anenometer as my AAG
> weatherstation has gone the way of all flesh.

Nigel, how many do you need? I order BAE0911 from time to time in a
bigger batch and have a spare one I could send to you.

If some people are interested in the parts, we can also put together an
order. I think Pascal has got some family business to do and don't have
time for electronics right now.

Re: Counter?

Peter Hollenbeck
Excellent information.

Thanks everyone.
Peter

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 19.10.2016 um 23:00 schrieb Nigel Titley:
> Yes, I wish I could get Pascal to respond. I'd like to use one to build
> a board for talking to a wind vane and anenometer as my AAG
> weatherstation has gone the way of all flesh.

Nigel, how many do you need? I order BAE0911 from time to time in a
bigger batch and have a spare one I could send to you.

If some people are interested in the parts, we can also put together an
order. I think Pascal has got some family business to do and don't have
time for electronics right now.

Re: Counter?

Nigel Titley

That's really helpful. I've got two needs somewhat related:

1. I'd like to build the weather station board as I said

2. I run a small company (www.homechip.com) which sells all sorts of
1-wire parts and I'd really like to offer Pascal's chips as part of our
offering

So, your offer will help me with item 1 (and I'd really like to take you
up on it) but I'd really need a response from Pascal for item 2. Once
I've got them in stock I can sell them individually (or I'm happy to act
as an aggregation point for a combined order, either way works for me).
I'd also be happy to sell the weather station boards for those folks
that don't have the knowledge or expertise to develop or build them
themselves. I've got small scale SMD development and build facilities
and can run off a dozen or so boards fairly easily.

I think there's a gap in the market left by AAG Electronica moving out
of the 1-wire business (it wasn't really a core item for them).

Hope no one takes offence at me posting this on the OWFS list.

All the best

Nigel

On 19/10/16 22:33, Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Am 19.10.2016 um 23:00 schrieb Nigel Titley:
>> Yes, I wish I could get Pascal to respond. I'd like to use one to build
>> a board for talking to a wind vane and anenometer as my AAG
>> weatherstation has gone the way of all flesh.
>>
> Nigel, how many do you need? I order BAE0911 from time to time in a
> bigger batch and have a spare one I could send to you.
>
> If some people are interested in the parts, we can also put together an
> order. I think Pascal has got some family business to do and don't have
> time for electronics right now.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Jan

Re: Counter?

Matthias Urlichs-3
On 20.10.2016 00:22, Nigel Titley wrote:
I'd like to build the weather station board as I said
You could use MoaT.
I run a small company (www.homechip.com) which sells all sorts of
1-wire parts and I'd really like to offer Pascal's chips as part of our
offering
That's the problem with Pascal's code not being open source … and why I decided to build my own.
(Currently languishing a bit, also due to lack of time, but due to be revived and expanded in the next couple months.)

I think there's a gap in the market left by AAG Electronica moving out
of the 1-wire business (it wasn't really a core item for them).
Them, and HobbyBoards. :-/
Hope no one takes offence at me posting this on the OWFS list.
Not a problem.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs

Re: Counter?

Peter Hollenbeck
No offense here. I don't have electronics expertise so am happy to have ready-made sources.
Peter

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Nigel Titley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jan

That's really helpful. I've got two needs somewhat related:

1. I'd like to build the weather station board as I said

2. I run a small company (www.homechip.com) which sells all sorts of
1-wire parts and I'd really like to offer Pascal's chips as part of our
offering

So, your offer will help me with item 1 (and I'd really like to take you
up on it) but I'd really need a response from Pascal for item 2. Once
I've got them in stock I can sell them individually (or I'm happy to act
as an aggregation point for a combined order, either way works for me).
I'd also be happy to sell the weather station boards for those folks
that don't have the knowledge or expertise to develop or build them
themselves. I've got small scale SMD development and build facilities
and can run off a dozen or so boards fairly easily.

I think there's a gap in the market left by AAG Electronica moving out
of the 1-wire business (it wasn't really a core item for them).

Hope no one takes offence at me posting this on the OWFS list.

All the best

Nigel

On 19/10/16 22:33, Jan Kandziora wrote:
> Am 19.10.2016 um 23:00 schrieb Nigel Titley:
>> Yes, I wish I could get Pascal to respond. I'd like to use one to build
>> a board for talking to a wind vane and anenometer as my AAG
>> weatherstation has gone the way of all flesh.
>>
> Nigel, how many do you need? I order BAE0911 from time to time in a
> bigger batch and have a spare one I could send to you.
>
> If some people are interested in the parts, we can also put together an
> order. I think Pascal has got some family business to do and don't have
> time for electronics right now.
>
> Kind regards
>
>       Jan

Re: Counter?

Paul Everett
Hi Nigel,

I can help you with need number 1 if you want, I bought 50 of the
BAE0910 ICs off Pascal last year and built the board I linked in an
earlier email. I too run a small business selling 1-Wire parts
(http://www.sheepwalkelectronics.co.uk/) and both the ICs and the board
will be available for sale once I find the time to document it properly
(I started it about 6 months ago here:
http://www.sheepwalkelectronics.co.uk/SWE6.php but haven't got round to
finishing it).

It might not be great business sense to help the competition but I'm all
for the spirit of co-operation so I'll happily sell you a couple of ICs
or boards if that is of interest. If a few people are interested it
might give me the kick I need to get them on sale properly. I have had
one of the boards running here for well over a year now without any issues.

Paul

On 19/10/2016 23:22, Nigel Titley wrote:

> Jan
>
> That's really helpful. I've got two needs somewhat related:
>
> 1. I'd like to build the weather station board as I said
>
> 2. I run a small company (www.homechip.com) which sells all sorts of
> 1-wire parts and I'd really like to offer Pascal's chips as part of our
> offering
>
> So, your offer will help me with item 1 (and I'd really like to take you
> up on it) but I'd really need a response from Pascal for item 2. Once
> I've got them in stock I can sell them individually (or I'm happy to act
> as an aggregation point for a combined order, either way works for me).
> I'd also be happy to sell the weather station boards for those folks
> that don't have the knowledge or expertise to develop or build them
> themselves. I've got small scale SMD development and build facilities
> and can run off a dozen or so boards fairly easily.
>
> I think there's a gap in the market left by AAG Electronica moving out
> of the 1-wire business (it wasn't really a core item for them).
>
> Hope no one takes offence at me posting this on the OWFS list.
>
> All the best
>
> Nigel
>
> On 19/10/16 22:33, Jan Kandziora wrote:
>> Am 19.10.2016 um 23:00 schrieb Nigel Titley:
>>> Yes, I wish I could get Pascal to respond. I'd like to use one to build
>>> a board for talking to a wind vane and anenometer as my AAG
>>> weatherstation has gone the way of all flesh.
>>>
>> Nigel, how many do you need? I order BAE0911 from time to time in a
>> bigger batch and have a spare one I could send to you.
>>
>> If some people are interested in the parts, we can also put together an
>> order. I think Pascal has got some family business to do and don't have
>> time for electronics right now.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Jan

Paul Everett

Re: Counter?

Andy Carter
On Wednesday 19 Oct 2016 17:52:19 Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
> No offense here. I don't have electronics expertise so am happy to have
> ready-made sources.

I'm a bit late to this thread and this may not suit Peter but is
http://www.tm3d.de/index.php/1-wire-device-mit-avr any use?

I am sure there is other useful information, schematics and code etc.
available in the 1-wire section of http://www.fhem.de and probably on other
home automation sites

Andy

Re: Counter?

Sven Giermann
Peter,
you might also have a look at some flexible 1-Wire Client-Implementation:
https://github.com/orgua/OneWireHub

One can implement the "hub" with a single client as well, which works pretty well for me (I use some custom BAE910 interface, just to have OWFS support for my device). A Counter is not available as example yet, but you might simply write one yourself or use one of the other devices that report an integer back to 1-Wire...

Sven