DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
I have a Raspberry Pi with LinkUSB and a MS-TV reading DC voltage. This works.
Yesterday I added an Adafruit DS18B20 waterproof temperature sensor and it worked for a while.
This morning neither the MS-TV nor the DS18B20 are seen by owfs.
If I remove the DS18B20 the MS-TV reappears.

The new temperature sensor is connected with 150 feet of waterproof Cat6.
When trying to get it working I read that the DS18B20 needs a 4.7K resistor connecting +5V to Data.
I lost the resistor that came with the sensor so used 5 1K resistors in series instead. (Am at a remote location and must use what I have at hand.)

Q1: Is the cable too long?
Q2: Is 5K okay instead of 4.7K?

Thanks for helping.
Peter
British Columbia, Canada

Re: DS18B20 Question

Matthias Urlichs-3
On 01.03.2016 19:48, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
> When trying to get it working I read that the DS18B20 needs a 4.7K
> resistor connecting +5V to Data.

Where did you read that? Did you try without the resistor?

-- Matthias Urlichs

Re: DS18B20 Question

Am 01.03.2016 um 19:48 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:

> The new temperature sensor is connected with 150 feet of waterproof Cat6.
> When trying to get it working I read that the DS18B20 needs a 4.7K resistor
> connecting +5V to Data.

Are you using a dedicated onewire host adapter chip or just a simple
GPIO pin? For the latter you have to connect the pullup to 3.3V, not 5V.

> I lost the resistor that came with the sensor so used 5 1K resistors in
> series instead. (Am at a remote location and must use what I have at hand.)
>
> Q1: Is the cable too long?

No.

> Q2: Is 5K okay instead of 4.7K?

The pullup may provide up to 4mA. That's the maximum the inidividual
slaves can pulldown. So at 3.3V, it may be as low as 1k.

Make it 1k and connect it to 3.3V.

Re: DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
It did not work without the resistor.
I thought to look at Adafruit product information:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/381
"We toss in a 4.7k resistor, which is required as a pullup from the DATA to VCC line when using the sensor."

Yesterday evening it worked with the 5K resistor. (Actually 5 1K in series.)
This morning I tried with 4K. It didn't work.
With or without the resistor, soon as I connect the DS18B20 the MS-TV device disappears and the DS18B20 is not seen.

I don't know electronics but does this sound like too much resistance is being introduced by the long cable?

Thanks for your reply.
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Matthias Urlichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01.03.2016 19:48, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
> When trying to get it working I read that the DS18B20 needs a 4.7K
> resistor connecting +5V to Data.

Where did you read that? Did you try without the resistor?

-- Matthias Urlichs

Re: DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
I'll try that.
Thank you very much.
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:11 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 01.03.2016 um 19:48 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:

> The new temperature sensor is connected with 150 feet of waterproof Cat6.
> When trying to get it working I read that the DS18B20 needs a 4.7K resistor
> connecting +5V to Data.

Are you using a dedicated onewire host adapter chip or just a simple
GPIO pin? For the latter you have to connect the pullup to 3.3V, not 5V.

> I lost the resistor that came with the sensor so used 5 1K resistors in
> series instead. (Am at a remote location and must use what I have at hand.)
>
> Q1: Is the cable too long?

No.

> Q2: Is 5K okay instead of 4.7K?

The pullup may provide up to 4mA. That's the maximum the inidividual
slaves can pulldown. So at 3.3V, it may be as low as 1k.

Make it 1k and connect it to 3.3V.

Re: DS18B20 Question

Johan Ström-3
In your initial post you wrote "I have a Raspberry Pi with LinkUSB and a MS-TV reading DC voltage."

If you have a LinkUSB, you don't connect your 1-Wire devices to a GPIO pin, right? The LinkUSB should not require any pullup at all.

On 01/03/16 21:16, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
It did not work without the resistor.
I thought to look at Adafruit product information:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/381
"We toss in a 4.7k resistor, which is required as a pullup from the DATA to VCC line when using the sensor."

Yesterday evening it worked with the 5K resistor. (Actually 5 1K in series.)
This morning I tried with 4K. It didn't work.
With or without the resistor, soon as I connect the DS18B20 the MS-TV device disappears and the DS18B20 is not seen.

I don't know electronics but does this sound like too much resistance is being introduced by the long cable?

Thanks for your reply.
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Matthias Urlichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01.03.2016 19:48, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
> When trying to get it working I read that the DS18B20 needs a 4.7K
> resistor connecting +5V to Data.

Where did you read that? Did you try without the resistor?

-- Matthias Urlichs

Re: DS18B20 Question

Colin Law
On 1 March 2016 at 18:48, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a Raspberry Pi with LinkUSB and a MS-TV reading DC voltage. This
> works.
> Yesterday I added an Adafruit DS18B20 waterproof temperature sensor and it
> worked for a while.
> This morning neither the MS-TV nor the DS18B20 are seen by owfs.
> If I remove the DS18B20 the MS-TV reappears.

Are you using the DS18B20 in 2 wire or 3 wire mode?

Colin

Re: DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
Question regarding the workings of this forum:
Does everyone see your email and does everyone see this reply?
I hope so, so that all information on the subject shared.

Anyway, I followed the suggestion of one person to connect a 1K resistor to 3.3 V and Data. The DS18B20 is not seen but the MS-TV is. I then removed the resistor and the MS-TV disappeared. By this I mean that in the OWFS 1wire directory the entry 26.AA5245010000 went away.

I do not understand this stuff well. But I do have working, on another Raspberry Pi, OWFS 1wire humidity, solar, and temperature.

Thanks for giving an old man some help.
Peter

Correct, every mail sent to this address is sent to every member of the list, and is archived at https://sourceforge.net/p/owfs/mailman/owfs-developers/

Anyway, I followed the suggestion of one person to connect a 1K resistor to 3.3 V and Data. The DS18B20 is not seen but the MS-TV is. I then removed the resistor and the MS-TV disappeared. By this I mean that in the OWFS 1wire directory the entry 26.AA5245010000 went away.

I do not understand this stuff well. But I do have working, on another Raspberry Pi, OWFS 1wire humidity, solar, and temperature.
Let's back it up. How is everything connected? You have the Raspberry Pi, and you mentioned the LinkUSB. And your 1-wire devices. Where are cables from the 1w devices go? Directly to the Pi, or to the LinkUSB which is connected via USB to the Pi?

Thanks for giving an old man some help.
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Johan Ström <[hidden email]> wrote:
In your initial post you wrote "I have a Raspberry Pi with LinkUSB and a MS-TV reading DC voltage."

If you have a LinkUSB, you don't connect your 1-Wire devices to a GPIO pin, right? The LinkUSB should not require any pullup at all.

On 01/03/16 21:16, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
It did not work without the resistor.
I thought to look at Adafruit product information:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/381
"We toss in a 4.7k resistor, which is required as a pullup from the DATA to VCC line when using the sensor."

Yesterday evening it worked with the 5K resistor. (Actually 5 1K in series.)
This morning I tried with 4K. It didn't work.
With or without the resistor, soon as I connect the DS18B20 the MS-TV device disappears and the DS18B20 is not seen.

I don't know electronics but does this sound like too much resistance is being introduced by the long cable?

Thanks for your reply.
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Matthias Urlichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01.03.2016 19:48, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
> When trying to get it working I read that the DS18B20 needs a 4.7K
> resistor connecting +5V to Data.

Where did you read that? Did you try without the resistor?

-- Matthias Urlichs

Re: DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
I think 3 wire, but don't know. That is:
DS18B20 +5V red connected to RJ45 pin 2
DS18B20 ground blue to RJ45 pin 6
DS18B20 data yellow to RJ45 pin 4

If this is 3 wire, what is 2 wire?

Thanks,
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 1 March 2016 at 18:48, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a Raspberry Pi with LinkUSB and a MS-TV reading DC voltage. This
> works.
> Yesterday I added an Adafruit DS18B20 waterproof temperature sensor and it
> worked for a while.
> This morning neither the MS-TV nor the DS18B20 are seen by owfs.
> If I remove the DS18B20 the MS-TV reappears.

Are you using the DS18B20 in 2 wire or 3 wire mode?

Colin

Re: DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
I didn't read your message carefully.
"Are you using a dedicated onewire host adapter chip or just a simple
GPIO pin? For the latter you have to connect the pullup to 3.3V, not 5V."

I am connecting from the DS18B20 to cat6 to the MS-TV.
I am not using the GPIO. Don't know how. I have other sensors on another Raspberry, all connected via LinkUSB and Cat5 wire.
As you can tell I am not very savvy with this stuff.

This old man thanks you for your help.
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:11 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 01.03.2016 um 19:48 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:

> The new temperature sensor is connected with 150 feet of waterproof Cat6.
> When trying to get it working I read that the DS18B20 needs a 4.7K resistor
> connecting +5V to Data.

Are you using a dedicated onewire host adapter chip or just a simple
GPIO pin? For the latter you have to connect the pullup to 3.3V, not 5V.

> I lost the resistor that came with the sensor so used 5 1K resistors in
> series instead. (Am at a remote location and must use what I have at hand.)
>
> Q1: Is the cable too long?

No.

> Q2: Is 5K okay instead of 4.7K?

The pullup may provide up to 4mA. That's the maximum the inidividual
slaves can pulldown. So at 3.3V, it may be as low as 1k.

Make it 1k and connect it to 3.3V.

Re: DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
Raspberry Pi Ethernet to LinkUSB
Ethernet from LinkUSB to MS-TV
Ethernet from MS-TV to DS18B20

Ethernet connections to DS18B20:

On 01/03/16 22:38, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
> Raspberry Pi Ethernet to LinkUSB
> Ethernet from LinkUSB to MS-TV
> Ethernet from MS-TV to DS18B20
>
> Ethernet connections to DS18B20:
> DS18B20 +5V red connected to RJ45 pin 2
> DS18B20 ground blue to RJ45 pin 6
> DS18B20 data yellow to RJ45 pin 4
That looks weird, according to my LinkUSB PDF pin 6 is Auxiliary. Try
pin 1,3 or 5 which is GND.

There should be no need for a pull-up resistor on a LinkUSB, ever. It
would probably just confuse the active pull-up which the LinkUSB is
equipped with.
The doc you referred to (https://www.adafruit.com/products/381) seems to
assume a direct connection between a Rasberry Pi GPIO pin, and the
device. That makes a non-optimal, but working, 1-wire master. You have a
proper one (the LinkUSB).

Re: DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
I must have something else wrong. When I connect the DS18B20 without a resistor the MS-TV disappears.

Odd that it worked last night - with a 5K resistor.
I do not know electronics.

Thanks,
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Johan Ström <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 01/03/16 22:38, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
> Raspberry Pi Ethernet to LinkUSB
> Ethernet from LinkUSB to MS-TV
> Ethernet from MS-TV to DS18B20
>
> Ethernet connections to DS18B20:
> DS18B20 +5V red connected to RJ45 pin 2
> DS18B20 ground blue to RJ45 pin 6
> DS18B20 data yellow to RJ45 pin 4
That looks weird, according to my LinkUSB PDF pin 6 is Auxiliary. Try
pin 1,3 or 5 which is GND.

There should be no need for a pull-up resistor on a LinkUSB, ever. It
would probably just confuse the active pull-up which the LinkUSB is
equipped with.
The doc you referred to (https://www.adafruit.com/products/381) seems to
assume a direct connection between a Rasberry Pi GPIO pin, and the
device. That makes a non-optimal, but working, 1-wire master. You have a
proper one (the LinkUSB).

Re: DS18B20 Question

Eric Vickery-2
Definitely sounds like the 1-Wire bus is getting shorted out.

On 1 March 2016 at 21:56, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I must have something else wrong. When I connect the DS18B20 without a
> resistor the MS-TV disappears.

Is that with the correct connections or the original wrong ones?
Correct the wiring, if it is wrong, and try again.  Check the manual
for the linkusb and the device and make sure you have the correct
wires.

> Odd that it worked last night - with a 5K resistor.
> I do not know electronics.

If you connect it up wrongly anything may happen.  It may appear to
work or it may not.

Colin

Re: DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
That's encouraging.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 1 March 2016 at 21:56, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I must have something else wrong. When I connect the DS18B20 without a
> resistor the MS-TV disappears.

Is that with the correct connections or the original wrong ones?
Correct the wiring, if it is wrong, and try again.  Check the manual
for the linkusb and the device and make sure you have the correct
wires.

> Odd that it worked last night - with a 5K resistor.
> I do not know electronics.

If you connect it up wrongly anything may happen.  It may appear to
work or it may not.

Colin

Re: DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
I must have it wired wrong.
Really odd that yesterday evening it worked and I got valid ocean temperature values.

Back to checking wiring.

Thanks,
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Eric Vickery <[hidden email]> wrote:
Definitely sounds like the 1-Wire bus is getting shorted out.

On Mar 1, 2016, at 3:56 PM, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I must have something else wrong. When I connect the DS18B20 without a resistor the MS-TV disappears.

Odd that it worked last night - with a 5K resistor.
I do not know electronics.

Thanks,
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Johan Ström <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 01/03/16 22:38, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
> Raspberry Pi Ethernet to LinkUSB
> Ethernet from LinkUSB to MS-TV
> Ethernet from MS-TV to DS18B20
>
> Ethernet connections to DS18B20:
> DS18B20 +5V red connected to RJ45 pin 2
> DS18B20 ground blue to RJ45 pin 6
> DS18B20 data yellow to RJ45 pin 4
That looks weird, according to my LinkUSB PDF pin 6 is Auxiliary. Try
pin 1,3 or 5 which is GND.

There should be no need for a pull-up resistor on a LinkUSB, ever. It
would probably just confuse the active pull-up which the LinkUSB is
equipped with.
The doc you referred to (https://www.adafruit.com/products/381) seems to
assume a direct connection between a Rasberry Pi GPIO pin, and the
device. That makes a non-optimal, but working, 1-wire master. You have a
proper one (the LinkUSB).

Re: DS18B20 Question

CReese
Check your connector. Those Rj12s can get squidgy with enough fussing about.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I must have it wired wrong.
Really odd that yesterday evening it worked and I got valid ocean temperature values.

Back to checking wiring.

Thanks,
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Eric Vickery <[hidden email]> wrote:
Definitely sounds like the 1-Wire bus is getting shorted out.

On Mar 1, 2016, at 3:56 PM, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I must have something else wrong. When I connect the DS18B20 without a resistor the MS-TV disappears.

Odd that it worked last night - with a 5K resistor.
I do not know electronics.

Thanks,
Peter

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Johan Ström <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 01/03/16 22:38, Peter Hollenbeck wrote:
> Raspberry Pi Ethernet to LinkUSB
> Ethernet from LinkUSB to MS-TV
> Ethernet from MS-TV to DS18B20
>
> Ethernet connections to DS18B20:
> DS18B20 +5V red connected to RJ45 pin 2
> DS18B20 ground blue to RJ45 pin 6
> DS18B20 data yellow to RJ45 pin 4
That looks weird, according to my LinkUSB PDF pin 6 is Auxiliary. Try
pin 1,3 or 5 which is GND.

There should be no need for a pull-up resistor on a LinkUSB, ever. It
would probably just confuse the active pull-up which the LinkUSB is
equipped with.
The doc you referred to (https://www.adafruit.com/products/381) seems to
assume a direct connection between a Rasberry Pi GPIO pin, and the
device. That makes a non-optimal, but working, 1-wire master. You have a
proper one (the LinkUSB).

Re: DS18B20 Question

Peter Hollenbeck
Right. Will do.