DS2482S-100 with an R-Pi

Juliean Galak
I just picked up a DS2482S-100 based i2c to 1-wire bridge (this one: https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/breakout-boards/owfs-1-wire/r-pi-i2c-1-wire-owfs-expansion-module- ) that I want to use with my R-Pi 2.

The product site has detailed instructions for setting up OWFS under Raspbian Wheezy, which include compiling OWFS from sources.  Is this still necessary?

I'd like to use a newer Raspbian distro (Jessie, Kernel 4.4) and am wondering if just installing OWFS with apt-get will do the trick.  Are the drivers needed for this in place?  Or will I really need to compile the package?

Thanks,
Juliean.

Re: DS2482S-100 with an R-Pi

Jan Kandziora
Am 08.09.2016 um 22:38 schrieb Juliean Galak:
> I'd like to use a newer Raspbian distro (Jessie, Kernel 4.4) and am
> wondering if just installing OWFS with apt-get will do the trick.  Are the
> drivers needed for this in place?

If you don't use the w1 drivers, yes. But it is rather old,
so you should update in any case.

(The owfs version shipped with Jessie has a broken --w1 when
working with kernel-3.16 as shipped with Jessie.)

Testing(Stretch) has owfs-3.1p1. You can use the owfs packages
from the Raspbian testing repository. Edit (or create) your
/etc/apt/preferences to contain:
Package: *
Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 300
This is important so you keep stable (Jessie) for all packages but the ones
explicitly taken from testing (Stretch).

Then, add a line
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free rpi
to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get access to the Raspbian testing
repository.

Do an

$ sudo apt-get update

to read the package metadata, then check

$ sudo apt-cache policy

whether the testing repo is there with priority 300. Then

$ sudo apt-get update -t testing owserver ow-shell

That should install all you need, including the startup files and systemd units.
Note you have to edit /etc/owfs.conf again to contain (this and only this)
!server: server = localhost:4304
server: w1
Restart the owserver service after that.

Re: DS2482S-100 with an R-Pi

Juliean Galak
Thank you.

I no longer need to use w1, so i2c only is fine and seems easier to use.

With only a bit of tweaking (mostly just using "server: i2c=ALL:ALL") those instructions worked perfectly.  Thank you!

Juliean.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 08.09.2016 um 22:38 schrieb Juliean Galak:
> I'd like to use a newer Raspbian distro (Jessie, Kernel 4.4) and am
> wondering if just installing OWFS with apt-get will do the trick.  Are the
> drivers needed for this in place?

If you don't use the w1 drivers, yes. But it is rather old,
so you should update in any case.

(The owfs version shipped with Jessie has a broken --w1 when
working with kernel-3.16 as shipped with Jessie.)

Testing(Stretch) has owfs-3.1p1. You can use the owfs packages
from the Raspbian testing repository. Edit (or create) your
/etc/apt/preferences to contain:
Package: *
Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 300
This is important so you keep stable (Jessie) for all packages but the ones
explicitly taken from testing (Stretch).

Then, add a line
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free rpi
to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get access to the Raspbian testing
repository.

Do an

$ sudo apt-get update

to read the package metadata, then check

$ sudo apt-cache policy

whether the testing repo is there with priority 300. Then

$ sudo apt-get update -t testing owserver ow-shell

That should install all you need, including the startup files and systemd units.
Note you have to edit /etc/owfs.conf again to contain (this and only this)
!server: server = localhost:4304
server: w1
Restart the owserver service after that.

Juliean Galak

Re: DS2482S-100 with an R-Pi

Arne Raaen

Should this line be:

$ sudo apt-get install -t testing owserver ow-shell

?

On 09.09.2016 02.37, Jan Kandziora wrote:
> $ sudo apt-get update -t testing owserver ow-shell

Regards,

Arne

Re: DS2482S-100 with an R-Pi

Colin Law
On 1 October 2016 at 11:43, Arne Raaen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should this line be:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install -t testing owserver ow-shell

I think either will do, if they were already installed.   If not
installed then it should be install obviously.

Colin