DS28E17, eservice LCD, MoaT and other tests

DS28E17, eservice LCD, MoaT and other tests

Dr. Trigon
Hi Jan

Sorry for the huge delay in comming back to this. Now I have the equipment and time to do some 1wire owfs tests again. Here briefly what I planed:
1. DS28E17 (alone and as bridge together with DS2482-800) - according to your request
2. eservices LCD
3. MoaT on ATtiny, ATmega (Arduino Nano)

Can you give me some advices or point to the mail archive entries where I can get some info on:
- how to test the DS28E17 kernel driver? what to connect the DS28E17 I2C to for testing/debugging?
- update me on the LCD status? am I right that we stoped with the question whether the LCD got correct voltage for contrast setting? measuring that analog voltage would be the next step? or shall I try to analyze the logic output of the 1wire chip?
- what would be the most simple MoaT test setup with the chip mentioned?

The tests will still take some time (done at weekends mostly) and thus I already appologize for any possible delay in advance. ;))

Thanks a lot for your support and Greetings!
Dr. Trigon

Re: DS28E17, eservice LCD, MoaT and other tests

Jan Kandziora
Am 08.10.2016 um 18:43 schrieb Dr. Trigon:
> Hi Jan
>
> Sorry for the huge delay in comming back to this. Now I have the
> equipment and time to do some 1wire owfs tests again. Here briefly
> what I planed: 1. DS28E17 (alone and as bridge together with
> DS2482-800) - according to your request

Forget the DS2482 behind a DS28E17. With all the onewire protocol
overhead, the DS28E17 I²C has a net data rate of about 1000 Baud.

That's way too slow for a DS2482 on it to be useful to anyone.

> Can you give me some advices or point to the mail archive entries
> where I can get some info on: - how to test the DS28E17 kernel
> driver? what to connect the DS28E17 I2C to for testing/debugging? -

Put some arbitrary I2C sensor to it. Or more that one. There is some
example code for the DS7505. Or you could try to hook up a kernel driver
to a DS28E17 I²C slave.

I'm most interested if you have problems following the documentation.

        https://github.com/ianka/w1_ds28e17

> 2. eservices LCD
> update me on the LCD status? am I right that we stoped with the
> question whether the LCD got correct voltage for contrast setting?
> measuring that analog voltage would be the next step? or shall I try
> to analyze the logic output of the 1wire chip?

First give me a pointer where you have been stuck last time. I cannot
tell you that.

> 3. MoaT on
> ATtiny, ATmega (Arduino Nano) - what would be the
> most simple MoaT test setup with the chip mentioned?

Matthias' territory, sorry here.

Re: DS28E17, eservice LCD, MoaT and other tests

Matthias Urlichs-3
On 08.10.2016 23:00, Jan Kandziora wrote:

> 3. MoaT on
> ATtiny, ATmega (Arduino Nano) - what would be the
> most simple MoaT test setup with the chip mentioned?

Matthias' territory, sorry here.

;-)

For playing with the code, the "test" setup (or some modification of it) would be ideal. That's for ATmega88 with external 16MHz crystal.

I'd recommend against using an ATtiny, or an ATmega with the internal crystal, until you've got more familiar with the code – for the simple reason that they're slower / more resource-constrained, thus you'll have a harder time debugging if something should go wrong.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs