DS28E17 tests

Dr. Trigon
Hi Jan

Following up to https://sourceforge.net/p/owfs/mailman/message/35416454/I splitted
the 3 topics:

Forget the DS2482 behind a DS28E17. With all the onewire protocol
overhead, the DS28E17 I?C has a net data rate of about 1000 Baud.

That's way too slow for a DS2482 on it to be useful to anyone..

Can you give me some advices or point to the mail archive entries
where I can get some info on: - how to test the DS28E17 kernel
driver? what to connect the DS28E17 I2C to for testing/debugging? -

Put some arbitrary I2C sensor to it. Or more that one. There is some
example code for the DS7505. Or you could try to hook up a kernel driver
to a DS28E17 I?C slave.

I'm most interested if you have problems following the documentation.

https://github.com/ianka/w1_ds28e17

Started looking into that. Until I came accross "2.2.3  Host adapters" and later part:

> Matrox G400           - unlikely you have this
> DS2490 USB            - sold as DS9490 (blue conish USB plug)
> Maxim DS2482          - for DS2483, too
> Maxim DS1WM           - unlikely you have this
> GPIO 1-wire busmaster - depends on "Device Drivers->GPIO support"

I do not have any USB Master. I played with the DS1WM on a Papilio DUO FPGA but this is not usable
yet. I do have some Raspis lay around (for GPIO master). Whats your advice? Whats most simple? Fastest to get and/or build? Cheapest? ;)

Thanks and Greetings
Dr. Trigon

Re: DS28E17 tests

Jan Kandziora
Am 24.10.2016 um 00:46 schrieb Dr. Trigon:

> I do not have any USB Master. I played with the DS1WM on a Papilio
> DUO FPGA but this is not usable yet. I do have some Raspis lay around
> (for GPIO master). Whats your advice? Whats most simple? Fastest to
> get and/or build? Cheapest? ;)

The GPIO master is just fine. It's 3.3V and the DS28E17 is 3.3V also, so
you can hook them up directly.

Remember you need a dtb overlay in config.txt to activate it.

Check your I²C device is 3.3V, too. Most are but that could be a source
of problems. If it isn't, use e.g. the 3.3V -> 5V level shifter I drawed
in the w1_ds28e17 README file.

Take a look at the userspace example programs to access your I²C device,
or use an existing driver on the DS28E17 I²C master device.