ESP8266+DS18B20 and owfs

Sven Geggus-5
Hello,

is there a software connecting a ESP8266+DS18B20 to an existing owfs infrastructure
(e.g. owserver)?

Hardware would be like this:
http://www.elec-cafe.com/temperature-sensor-on-the-web-with-esp8266-and-ds18b20/

Background is, that I already have owfs support in my Software and it would
be more elegant to use owfs than adding code for another way of measuring
temperature.

Regards

Sven

--
"C Is Quirky, Flawed, And An Enormous Success."
(Dennis M. Ritchie)

/me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web

Re: ESP8266+DS18B20 and owfs

Jan Kandziora
Am 13.10.2016 um 17:01 schrieb Sven Geggus:

> Hello,
>
> is there a software connecting a ESP8266+DS18B20 to an existing owfs infrastructure
> (e.g. owserver)?
>
> Hardware would be like this:
> http://www.elec-cafe.com/temperature-sensor-on-the-web-with-esp8266-and-ds18b20/
>
> Background is, that I already have owfs support in my Software and it would
> be more elegant to use owfs than adding code for another way of measuring
> temperature.

Configure an external sensor, it integrates into owfs nicely. All you
need is a small script requesting the temperature from that device, for
example with curl or wget, then output the value to stdout.

See http://owfs.org/index.php?page=external-sensor-design

Note: You need at least owfs-3.1p1, the external mechanism was broken
before.

Re: ESP8266+DS18B20 and owfs

Colin Law
On 13 October 2016 at 16:01, Sven Geggus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

is there a software connecting a ESP8266+DS18B20 to an existing owfs infrastructure
(e.g. owserver)?

Hardware would be like this:
http://www.elec-cafe.com/temperature-sensor-on-the-web-with-esp8266-and-ds18b20/

An alternative to this is to send the values from the ESP8266 using MQTT and pick them up from an MQTT broker for the higher levels of your application.  This may be simpler than connecting in to owserver.  Using MQTT opens up a vast array of other stuff that you can easily integrate using something like node-red for the UI.  It all depends what you want to do of course.

Colin