Help with writing a new device driver

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help with writing a new device driver

Nigel Titley
Folks, I'm trying to add a new 1-wire device to OWFS and thrashing
around trying to make a start. I've tried looking at the code for
various devices and can sort of see how it hangs together but I wondered
if there was a guide anywhere (unlikely, I know) or any suggested order
of reading of code or *anything* really. I'm sure once I start to get
the feel of it I'll be Ok but at the moment I'm just thrashing.

Any help appreciated.

Nigel

--
Homechip Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1908 410175


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help with writing a new device driver

Jan Kandziora
Am 04.07.2017 um 17:38 schrieb Nigel Titley:
> Folks, I'm trying to add a new 1-wire device to OWFS and thrashing
> around trying to make a start. I've tried looking at the code for
> various devices and can sort of see how it hangs together but I wondered
> if there was a guide anywhere (unlikely, I know) or any suggested order
> of reading of code or *anything* really. I'm sure once I start to get
> the feel of it I'll be Ok but at the moment I'm just thrashing.
>
No, there isn't a guide on writing OWFS drivers as far as I'm aware of.

My advice is to take the module/owlib/src/c/ow_2450.c file as a
template. It has a clear structure, touches a lot of subsystems and you
can leave out things you don't need easily.

What does your device do?

Kind regards

        Jan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help with writing a new device driver

Nigel Titley


On 04/07/17 17:25, Jan Kandziora wrote:
> Am 04.07.2017 um 17:38 schrieb Nigel Titley:
>> Folks, I'm trying to add a new 1-wire device to OWFS and thrashing
>> around trying to make a start. I've tried looking at the code for
>> various devices and can sort of see how it hangs together but I wondered
>> if there was a guide anywhere (unlikely, I know) or any suggested order
>> of reading of code or *anything* really. I'm sure once I start to get
>> the feel of it I'll be Ok but at the moment I'm just thrashing.
>>
> No, there isn't a guide on writing OWFS drivers as far as I'm aware of.
I feared as much... I'll plug on with looking at the source.
>
> My advice is to take the module/owlib/src/c/ow_2450.c file as a
> template. It has a clear structure, touches a lot of subsystems and you
> can leave out things you don't need easily.
Many thanks, I'll do that. I've been looking at ow_1820.c (as being a
simple device that I thought I understood) but I'll take your advice and
have a look at ow_2450.c instead.
>
> What does your device do?
It's the SS-WALL-TH from iButtonlink. It measures temperature and
humidity in a package suitable for mounting in a drywall (plasterboard)
wall. We sell it and I'd like to add it to OWFS. It doesn't have a very
complicated structure.

All the best and thanks for your help

Nigel

>
> Kind regards
>
> Jan
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Owfs-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers

--
Homechip Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1908 410175


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help with writing a new device driver

Roland Franke
Hello,

>>
>> My advice is to take the module/owlib/src/c/ow_2450.c file as a
>> template. It has a clear structure, touches a lot of subsystems and you
>> can leave out things you don't need easily.
> Many thanks, I'll do that. I've been looking at ow_1820.c (as being a
> simple device that I thought I understood) but I'll take your advice and
> have a look at ow_2450.c instead.
> >
> > What does your device do?
> It's the SS-WALL-TH from iButtonlink. It measures temperature and
> humidity in a package suitable for mounting in a drywall (plasterboard)
> wall. We sell it and I'd like to add it to OWFS. It doesn't have a very
> complicated structure.

maybe there us the additional way to send some free sample to
developers of owfs and ask them to help you additional to your
own work.
By that way it is (So my suggestion) the fastest and easyest way to get
your unit to run.

Best regards,
Roland Franke

PS.: I am no developer and i will not need one of your parts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help with writing a new device driver

Nigel Titley


On 04/07/17 21:13, Roland Franke wrote:

> Hello,
>>>
>>> My advice is to take the module/owlib/src/c/ow_2450.c file as a
>>> template. It has a clear structure, touches a lot of subsystems and you
>>> can leave out things you don't need easily.
>> Many thanks, I'll do that. I've been looking at ow_1820.c (as being a
>> simple device that I thought I understood) but I'll take your advice and
>> have a look at ow_2450.c instead.
>> >
>> > What does your device do?
>> It's the SS-WALL-TH from iButtonlink. It measures temperature and
>> humidity in a package suitable for mounting in a drywall (plasterboard)
>> wall. We sell it and I'd like to add it to OWFS. It doesn't have a very
>> complicated structure.
>
> maybe there us the additional way to send some free sample to
> developers of owfs and ask them to help you additional to your
> own work.
> By that way it is (So my suggestion) the fastest and easyest way to get
> your unit to run.
>
Already tried this but got no takers, I'm afraid.

Nigel

--
Homechip Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1908 410175


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help with writing a new device driver

Jan Kandziora
Am 04.07.2017 um 23:06 schrieb Nigel Titley:
>>
>> maybe there us the additional way to send some free sample to
>> developers of owfs and ask them to help you additional to your
>> own work.
>> By that way it is (So my suggestion) the fastest and easyest way to get
>> your unit to run.
>>
> Already tried this but got no takers, I'm afraid.
>
As I could really make use of such a device for my customers, I will
help you out if you send me a sample.

[Postal address given in private email]

Kind regards

        Jan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Owfs-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/owfs-developers