How to remove and start again?

Mick Sulley
My Raspi failed overnight and I am trying to recreate it and pulling my
hair out!!  I have installed owfs many times, generally downloading from
SourceForge and installing from that.  I have done that this time, it
didn't work so I removed it (I thought) and installed via apt-get install.

I am now in a mess!  Just tried to clear it all out and re-install
3.0.0p but I see -
$ /usr/bin/owserver --version
/usr/bin/owserver version:
     2.9p8
libow version:
     2.9p8

So it seems I still have the old package version.  How do I remove it?
I tried apt-get purge owfs

Any ideas?
Mick

Re: How to remove and start again?

Colin Law
On 29 April 2016 at 15:42, Mick Sulley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My Raspi failed overnight and I am trying to recreate it and pulling my
> hair out!!  I have installed owfs many times, generally downloading from
> SourceForge and installing from that.  I have done that this time, it
> didn't work so I removed it (I thought) and installed via apt-get install.
>
> I am now in a mess!  Just tried to clear it all out and re-install
> 3.0.0p but I see -
> $ /usr/bin/owserver --version
> /usr/bin/owserver version:
>      2.9p8
> libow version:
>      2.9p8
>
> So it seems I still have the old package version.  How do I remove it?
> I tried apt-get purge owfs

What do
apt-cache policy owfs
and
apt-cache policy owserver
and
dpkg -S /usr/bin/owserver
show?

How did you try to install 3.0.0?

Colin

Re: How to remove and start again?

Mick Sulley
As I was getting desperate I delete ow* from /usr/bin and reinstalled 3.0.0
Just run your commands and I get -

control@pi-solar:~ $ apt-cache policy owfs
owfs:
   Installed: (none)
   Candidate: 2.9p8-6
   Version table:
      2.9p8-6 0
         500 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main
armhf Packages
control@pi-solar:~ $ apt-cache policy owserver
owserver:
   Installed: 2.9p8-6
   Candidate: 2.9p8-6
   Version table:
  *** 2.9p8-6 0
         500 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main
armhf Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
control@pi-solar:~ $ dpkg -S /usr/bin/owserver
owserver: /usr/bin/owserver
control@pi-solar:~ $

So it looks like I still have the old version.

On 29 April 2016 at 16:28, Mick Sulley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I was getting desperate I delete ow* from /usr/bin and reinstalled 3.0.0
> Just run your commands and I get -
>
> control@pi-solar:~ $ apt-cache policy owfs
> owfs:
>    Installed: (none)
>    Candidate: 2.9p8-6
>    Version table:
>       2.9p8-6 0
>          500 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main
> armhf Packages
> control@pi-solar:~ $ apt-cache policy owserver
> owserver:
>    Installed: 2.9p8-6
>    Candidate: 2.9p8-6
>    Version table:
>   *** 2.9p8-6 0
>          500 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main
> armhf Packages
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> control@pi-solar:~ $ dpkg -S /usr/bin/owserver
> owserver: /usr/bin/owserver
> control@pi-solar:~ $
>
> So it looks like I still have the old version.

You said you purged owfs, but it is owserver that is installed, so
apt-get purge owserver

Colin

> On 29/04/16 16:15, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 29 April 2016 at 15:42, Mick Sulley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> My Raspi failed overnight and I am trying to recreate it and pulling my
>>> hair out!!  I have installed owfs many times, generally downloading from
>>> SourceForge and installing from that.  I have done that this time, it
>>> didn't work so I removed it (I thought) and installed via apt-get install.
>>>
>>> I am now in a mess!  Just tried to clear it all out and re-install
>>> 3.0.0p but I see -
>>> $ /usr/bin/owserver --version
>>> /usr/bin/owserver version:
>>>       2.9p8
>>> libow version:
>>>       2.9p8
>>>
>>> So it seems I still have the old package version.  How do I remove it?
>>> I tried apt-get purge owfs
>> What do
>> apt-cache policy owfs
>> and
>> apt-cache policy owserver
>> and
>> dpkg -S /usr/bin/owserver
>> show?
>>
>> How did you try to install 3.0.0?
>>
>> Colin

Re: How to remove and start again?

Mick Sulley
Hi Colin,

Yes you are right, purged owserver and 2.9p8-6 is gone, just my newly
installed 3.0.0 there now.

Lots of things went wrong today, tends to numb the brain a bit!

Thanks for your help
Mick

On 30 April 2016 at 00:16, Mick Sulley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Yes you are right, purged owserver and 2.9p8-6 is gone, just my newly
> installed 3.0.0 there now.
>
> Lots of things went wrong today, tends to numb the brain a bit!
>
> Thanks for your help

Glad to be of help

Colin