NSLUG2 and OWFS

Gregg C Levine-2
Hello from Gregg C Levine
Paul here's a bit of a nasty poser for you. I remember when the OWFS
list was just cranking up, and we were discussing the porting to the
LinkSys wireless router of the OWFS binaries, this came up; a
decidedly frustrated and rather angry poster complained to use that he
couldn't get his USB fob to work on this device after building the
OWFS binaries and installing them. Naturally I don't have my local
archives of the list. I had a bit of a computer problem last month.

It happens that the fellow, who provided the photos for opening the
wireless router, and installing the serial ports on it, also did one
for the NSLUG2 device.

Also another gentleman has gotten the famous, or is that infamous one
wire weather station to work on his NSLUG2 device it seems to me that
he's followed a totally different route for such work. He originally
brought that thing to Linux, and then discovered that Linux ran on the
NSLUG2, and followed suit.
Almost forgot, here's the location for the whole business,
http://oww.sourceforge.net/index.html

Of course what's interesting to me is the obvious thing, is this, what
prompted LinkSys to have these serial ports on their hardware? And why
didn't they tell us about them to begin with? I suppose I raised this
issue when we started....

I suppose at some point I'll probably buy one of those things.....
---
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]
---
"The Force will be with you... Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

RE: NSLUG2 and OWFS

Alfille, Paul H.,M.D.
Hi Gregg,

Do you want to look up the fellow? The OWFS list is searchable on
        GMANE (http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.owfs.devel) and
        Mail Archive
(http://www.mail-archive.com/owfs-developers%40lists.sourceforge.net/)\

I'm sure we could get OWFS to run on the NSLU2, or practically any linux-enabled
device. Christian has ported it to everything including a Coldfire board, and
the memory and resource requirements are quite modest.

Clearly our architecture works very well with these devices. owserver can run
locally or remotely, and we can aggregate multiple sources easily and flexibly.

The only reason I explored the LinkSys router specifically is that wireless
access is sometimes essential for an application. If wiring were possible, the
sensor could have been connected directly.

The speculation is that the serial headers on the board were for design and
posssible expansion. The processor has dedicated serial pins natively, and being
able to put a serial port in during the design and testing phase was probably
useful.

Get one of these devices. It's fun!

Paul

RE: NSLUG2 and OWFS

Gregg C Levine-2
Hello from Gregg C Levine
I tried that. Worse luck was that I only found our posts, because I
could not recall two things. The date Mr. Rude posted his message, and
the exact subject line.

Besides it's not that important. I only posted it because of the fuss
and the noise I'm seeing on the NSLUG2 lists.
----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]
---

\