New install of OWFS on RPi running Jessie

New install of OWFS on RPi running Jessie

Alex Shepherd-2
Hi Guys,

I’m giving my OWFS based heating system an update.

Currently I’m running on a RPi 2 with Wheezy 7.10 and some LinkUSB adaptors and am wanting to reinstall on the latest releases.

I’m trying to do a clean install onto another RPi running Jessie and using the latest release doing an 'apt-get install owfs’ but it didn’t seem to want to start properly.

I then went and got the current source code and have done a build (once I git all the dependant libs etc) but just wondering what the current recipe is to get a good stable system on an RPi?

Any suggestions?

Regards

Alex Shepherd

Re: New install of OWFS on RPi running Jessie

CReese
I keep 2.9.5 in my repo and give it a make install on every automated build I do. I am on raspbian and also Jessie and both work great. I use ds2483, however, not linkusb. See here (swig lib-fuse et al at top and owfs down below)

https://github.com/iinnovations/iicontrollibs/blob/master/misc/initscript.sh

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 1:56 PM, Alex Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> I’m giving my OWFS based heating system an update.
>
> Currently I’m running on a RPi 2 with Wheezy 7.10 and some LinkUSB adaptors and am wanting to reinstall on the latest releases.
>
> I’m trying to do a clean install onto another RPi running Jessie and using the latest release doing an 'apt-get install owfs’ but it didn’t seem to want to start properly.
>
> I then went and got the current source code and have done a build (once I git all the dependant libs etc) but just wondering what the current recipe is to get a good stable system on an RPi?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Regards
>
> Alex Shepherd

Re: New install of OWFS on RPi running Jessie

Alex Shepherd-2
Hi Colin,

> On 7/06/2016, at 9:33 AM, Colin Reese <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I keep 2.9.5 in my repo and give it a make install on every automated build I do. I am on raspbian and also Jessie and both work great. I use ds2483, however, not linkusb. See here (swig lib-fuse et al at top and owfs down below)
>
> https://github.com/iinnovations/iicontrollibs/blob/master/misc/initscript.sh

Wow! That's a pretty comprehensive install script - obviously everything you have which is awesome.

I’ll cherry pick all the apt-get stuff that I need. I’ve just downloaded the Jessie-Lite SD Image that doesn’t have the “kitchen sink” in it.

What are you doing with the /etc/init.d startup scripts as I am told that the whole start-up sequence has changed on Jessie now? Does the 2.9.5 package still generate all the right init.d start-up scripts and all “just work” still if I do a “make install"?

Regards

Alex Shepherd

Re: New install of OWFS on RPi running Jessie

CReese
rc.local still runs. I have it run boot.py and that handles manual startup of everything there. Whether owfs is started and on which interface is determined by an 'interfaces' table in the 'system' SQLite database, as is which web server (if any) is started. This is the reason for the update-rc.d remove commands throughout the install script.

There is also a daemon run from cron periodically to ensure desired Python daemon scripts (there are a handful) are running, and dispatch email notifications if things appear awry.

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 4:49 PM, Alex Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Colin,
>
>> On 7/06/2016, at 9:33 AM, Colin Reese <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I keep 2.9.5 in my repo and give it a make install on every automated build I do. I am on raspbian and also Jessie and both work great. I use ds2483, however, not linkusb. See here (swig lib-fuse et al at top and owfs down below)
>>
>> https://github.com/iinnovations/iicontrollibs/blob/master/misc/initscript.sh
>
> Wow! That's a pretty comprehensive install script - obviously everything you have which is awesome.
>
> I’ll cherry pick all the apt-get stuff that I need. I’ve just downloaded the Jessie-Lite SD Image that doesn’t have the “kitchen sink” in it.
>
> What are you doing with the /etc/init.d startup scripts as I am told that the whole start-up sequence has changed on Jessie now? Does the 2.9.5 package still generate all the right init.d start-up scripts and all “just work” still if I do a “make install"?
>
> Regards
>
> Alex Shepherd

Re: New install of OWFS on RPi running Jessie

Andy Carter
On Tuesday 07 Jun 2016 08:56:31 Alex Shepherd wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I’m giving my OWFS based heating system an update.
>
> Currently I’m running on a RPi 2 with Wheezy 7.10 and some LinkUSB adaptors
> and am wanting to reinstall on the latest releases.
>
> I’m trying to do a clean install onto another RPi running Jessie and using
> the latest release doing an 'apt-get install owfs’ but it didn’t seem to
> want to start properly.
>
> I then went and got the current source code and have done a build (once I
> git all the dependant libs etc) but just wondering what the current recipe
> is to get a good stable system on an RPi?

I am running current git master on raspbian jessie.

I manually replaced everything default jessie installed re. owfs (2.9p8?) with
the new files.

I had to remove the owfs built files in /opt to get it to start on boot but
it's all running well since - I guess systemd may be trying to start both but
I don't know enough about systemd to even check

Andy