OWFS and OSX...

Dean Waldow
Greetings,

I hope this is not too much of a newbie question and this list may be more focused on development only...

I have used owfs in the past on redhat and centos but would really like to put owfs on an OSX box. About a month ago, I spent a fair bit of time trying to compile / install owfs on my OSX 10.11.x box and was unable to get it to be successfully installed. I tried using MacPorts and again using homebrew for parts that were missing from the vanilla OSX install. I also un-tarred the pretty old owfs-osx tar ball but that seems built for the ppc.

I am curious if owfs should be able to be installed on OSX? It seems that it is intended to be installed on OSX from what I have read onine perhaps with the exception of the fuse file system.

If it is supposed to be able to be functional on OSX, are there any instructions some where I have maybe missed? I tried using the sourceforge build from around late December. Perhaps I should try again after the Jan 2016 build (owfs3.1p1)? I can provide more information about the install issues if I am asking the right list.

I am trying to connect my 1-wire system using a USB interface (the blue one, DS9490R I think) with Hobby Boards devices mostly. I can get the HobbyBoards OSX test software to talk to the network and get at a temperature from a connected device.

If I am asking the wrong list, let me know. Thanks for any direction to answer this install question.

Dean

Dean Waldow, Professor
Department of Chemistry
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447  USA

253-535-7533 (Office)
253-536-5055 (FAX)

[hidden email]
http://www.chem.plu.edu/waldow/

Re: OWFS and OSX...

Jan Kandziora
Am 03.02.2016 um 18:36 schrieb Dean Waldow:

> I am curious if owfs should be able to be installed on OSX? It seems
> that it is intended to be installed on OSX from what I have read
> onine perhaps with the exception of the fuse file system.

Besides owfs and core owlib, all programs use plain TCP sockets, so they
should run without problems. So writing a OWnet based client for OSX
isn't a problem at all.

Regarding owlib, accessing a DS2480 or LINK based adapter through a
/dev/ttyXXX device node is using only terminal/serial ioctl()s which
should be no problem on OSX either. Is there a libusb-1.0 available for
OSX? In that case, DS9490 will work, too.

DS2482-x00 and DS2483 won't work as the I²C ioctl interface is sure
different in OSX.

> If it is supposed to be able to be functional on OSX, are there any
> instructions some where I have maybe missed? I tried using the
> sourceforge build from around late December. Perhaps I should try
> again after the Jan 2016 build (owfs3.1p1)? I can provide more
> information about the install issues if I am asking the right list.

Yes, please use 3.1p1, it makes debugging easier, no need to hunt for
bugs already fixed.

> I am trying to connect my 1-wire system using a USB interface (the
> blue one, DS9490R I think) with Hobby Boards devices mostly. I can
> get the HobbyBoards OSX test software to talk to the network and get
> at a temperature from a connected device.

OWFS needs libusb-1.0, not sure what the HobbyBoards software has built-in.

Re: OWFS and OSX...

Dean Waldow
Thanks Jan!

>> I am curious if owfs should be able to be installed on OSX? It seems
>> that it is intended to be installed on OSX from what I have read
>> onine perhaps with the exception of the fuse file system.
>>
> Besides owfs and core owlib, all programs use plain TCP sockets, so they
> should run without problems. So writing a OWnet based client for OSX
> isn't a problem at all.
>
> Regarding owlib, accessing a DS2480 or LINK based adapter through a
> /dev/ttyXXX device node is using only terminal/serial ioctl()s which
> should be no problem on OSX either. Is there a libusb-1.0 available for
> OSX? In that case, DS9490 will work, too.

I don’t think libusb-1.0 is standard in el capitan but I believe MacPorts has that in their ports. The main issue may be the location of the libs from MacPorts versus the where owfs expects to find them?

> DS2482-x00 and DS2483 won't work as the I²C ioctl interface is sure
> different in OSX.

OK, I don’t think I have any devices based on those.

I will try again in the next couple of days using the latest build and see how it goes.

Best wishes,

Dean

Re: OWFS and OSX...

Jan Kandziora
Am 03.02.2016 um 19:59 schrieb Dean Waldow:

> I don’t think libusb-1.0 is standard in el capitan but I believe
> MacPorts has that in their ports. The main issue may be the location
> of the libs from MacPorts versus the where owfs expects to find
> them?

./configure looks at all places where dynamic libraries live usually. So
if there's a problem, you will get a message

checking for LIBUSB... no

and the final result would be

         USB is disabled

If you have this problem, please give details how your libusb-1.0 is
installed.

Re: OWFS and OSX...

Stefano Miccoli
Here is my recipe that worked with yosemite+homebrew

$ brew install libusb
$ tar xvzf owfs-3.1p1.tar.gz
$ cd owfs-3.1p1
$ ./configure --prefix $HOME/owfs-install --disable-owtcl
$ make -j4
$ make install
$ $HOME/owfs-install/bin/owserver -u -—foreground

from another terminal:

$ $HOME/owfs-install/bin/owdir

Stefano

—prefix $HOME/somedir is to have a user installation (no need for sudo)
—disable-owtcl is because owfs makefiles do not respect the —prefix for tcl (for a lot of good reasons that is not important to discuss here…)

On 03 Feb 2016, at 19:59, Dean Waldow <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Jan!

[...]

Hi Jan and Stefano,

I followed Stefano’s information below up to the point of trying to run it with devices attached. I first removed MacPorts and then installed HomeBrew, wget, and libusb. I used wget to get owfs-3.1p1.

$ brew install libusb
$ tar xvzf owfs-3.1p1.tar.gz
$ cd owfs-3.1p1
$ ./configure --prefix $HOME/owfs-install --disable-owtcl
$ make -j4
$ make install

It ‘appeared’ to build OK except that USB is disabled. It seems it could not find LIBUSB.

checking for LIBUSB... no

I have not dug into the code to see where it is looking for libusb. I seem to remember that in MacPorts there were two libusb portions (libusb and libusb-development) - doubt there is something similar in brew. I only seem to see libusb files from brew in the following locations:

$ brew list libusb
/usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/include/libusb-1.0/libusb.h
/usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib
/usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/lib/pkgconfig/libusb-1.0.pc
/usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/lib/ (2 other files)

It seems that there would need to be a symbolic link in some ‘normal’ location to the libusb in the brew Cellar? I presume owfs is looking for a *.h file? or an actually library? Suggestions?

As far as the /usr/lib files I only see the following which I presume are leftovers from the MacPorts install that didn’t get removed properly?

/usr/local/lib/libusb-0.1.4.4.4.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libusbdll.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libusbpp-0.1.4.4.4.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libusbpp-0.1.4.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libusbpp.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libusbpp.la

Main compile options output:

Compile-time options:
                      USB is DISABLED
                    AVAHI is DISABLED
                      I2C is enabled
                       W1 is DISABLED
    Parallel port DS1410E is DISABLED
         Zeroconf/Bonjour is enabled
             Debug-output is enabled
               Mutexdebug is enabled
                Profiling is DISABLED
Tracing memory allocation is DISABLED

Module configuration:
                    owlib is enabled
                  owshell is enabled
                     owfs is DISABLED
                  owhttpd is enabled
                   owftpd is enabled
                 owserver is enabled
               owexternal is enabled
                    ownet is enabled
                 ownetlib is enabled
                    owtap is enabled
                    owmon is enabled
                   owcapi is enabled
                     swig is DISABLED
                   owperl is DISABLED
                    owphp is DISABLED
                 owpython is DISABLED
                    owtcl is DISABLED

I was somewhat interested in owfs and owphp. I know I don’t have fuse installed but I am not sure if homebrew’s fuse would work with owfs or if I really even need owfs specifically or if owserver is enough. I have a fair bit of code in php already but could access the data in another method if needed.  I’ll wait on worrying about those until I get get a vanilla owfs running.

Thanks,

Dean

Am 04.02.2016 um 22:28 schrieb Dean Waldow:

> checking for LIBUSB... no
>
> I have not dug into the code to see where it is looking for libusb. I
> seem to remember that in MacPorts there were two libusb portions
> (libusb and libusb-development) - doubt there is something similar in
> brew. I only seem to see libusb files from brew in the following
> locations:
>
> $ brew list libusb
> /usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/include/libusb-1.0/libusb.h
> /usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib
> /usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/lib/pkgconfig/libusb-1.0.pc
> /usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/lib/ (2 other files)
>
> It seems that there would need to be a symbolic link in some ‘normal’
> location to the libusb in the brew Cellar? I presume owfs is looking
> for a *.h file? or an actually library? Suggestions?

It uses pkg-config.

$ pkg-config --exists libusb-1.0 && echo "libusb-1.0 exists!"

> /usr/local/lib/libusb-0.1.4.4.4.dylib /usr/local/lib/libusbdll.dylib

That's libusb0.

> /usr/local/lib/libusbpp-0.1.4.4.4.dylib
> /usr/local/lib/libusbpp-0.1.4.dylib /usr/local/lib/libusbpp.dylib
> /usr/local/lib/libusbpp.la

That's the C++ binding for libusb0, which owfs doesn't use.

> I was somewhat interested in owfs and owphp. I know I don’t have fuse
> installed but I am not sure if homebrew’s fuse would work with owfs
> or if I really even need owfs specifically or if owserver is enough.

Forget about the FUSE binding. It has some awkward limitations
introduced by the file system abstraction which makes it unusable for
anything but demonstration purposes.

> I have a fair bit of code in php already but could access the data in
> another method if needed.  I’ll wait on worrying about those until I
> get get a vanilla owfs running.

Don't get the ./configure output wrong. owphp is the owlib based
language binding. You need this if you want to access the hardware
directly (without the help of owserver), which isn't recommended.

It is recommended to use owserver and an ownet based client. The ownet
bindings have no external dependencies and are built by default. Look
into module/ownet/php/examples.

Re: OWFS and OSX...

Johan Ström-3

at least the current master (or well, ftdi branch but nothing touched there since 9a8aa0 == 3.1p1) detects libusb properly on my OS X (10.10.5):

checking for LIBUSB... yes
Compile-time options:
                      USB is enabled

I have no custom configure flags, and libusb from brew.

What does pkg-config tell you? This is the output on my box:

$ pkg-config libusb --cflags
-I/usr/local/Cellar/libusb-compat/0.1.5/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/include/libusb-1.0
$

Regards
Johan

On 04/02/16 22:28, Dean Waldow wrote:
[...]

Hi Folks,

> at least the current master (or well, ftdi branch but nothing touched there since 9a8aa0 == 3.1p1) detects libusb properly on my OS X (10.10.5):

I was using simply the 3.1p1 on OS X 10.11.3 on a pretty old iMac.

> checking for LIBUSB... yes
> Compile-time options:
>                       USB is enabled
>
> I have no custom configure flags, and libusb from brew.
>
> What does pkg-config tell you? This is the output on my box:
>
> $ pkg-config libusb --cflags
> -I/usr/local/Cellar/libusb-compat/0.1.5/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/include/libusb-1.0

$ brew install libusb
Warning: libusb-1.0.20 already installed

$ pkg-config --exists libusb-1.0 && echo "libusb-1.0 exists!"
-bash: !": event not found

$ pkg-config libusb --cflags
Package libusb was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libusb.pc'
No package 'libusb’ found

I had to install pkg-config via brew which if the owfs needed pkg-config during the install it should have been a problem.

Anyway… Brew says it is there but pkg-config says no.

I am a bit puzzled as I would have thought libusb should be there since brew seems it. I may try uninstalling libusb and reinstalling it.

Dean

Dean Waldow, Professor
Department of Chemistry
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447  USA

253-535-7533 (Office)
253-536-5055 (FAX)

[hidden email]
http://www.chem.plu.edu/waldow/

Re: OWFS and OSX...

Dean Waldow
Hi Jan,

> It uses pkg-config.
>
> $ pkg-config --exists libusb-1.0 && echo "libusb-1.0 exists!"
>

>> /usr/local/lib/libusb-0.1.4.4.4.dylib /usr/local/lib/libusbdll.dylib
>>
> That's libusb0.
>

>> /usr/local/lib/libusbpp-0.1.4.4.4.dylib
>> /usr/local/lib/libusbpp-0.1.4.dylib /usr/local/lib/libusbpp.dylib
>> /usr/local/lib/libusbpp.la
>>
> That's the C++ binding for libusb0, which owfs doesn't use.

I just replied to Johan and included pkg-config not finding libusb 1 while brew sees it.

> Forget about the FUSE binding. It has some awkward limitations
> introduced by the file system abstraction which makes it unusable for
> anything but demonstration purposes.

Ah… OK. Great.

> Don't get the ./configure output wrong. owphp is the owlib based
> language binding. You need this if you want to access the hardware
> directly (without the help of owserver), which isn't recommended.

Oh… I didn’t understand that.

> It is recommended to use owserver and an ownet based client. The ownet
> bindings have no external dependencies and are built by default. Look
> into module/ownet/php/examples.

OK. I’ll do that once I get owfs running. libusb seems to be the issues.

Dean

Re: OWFS and OSX...

Dean Waldow
Quick update.

I thought I would retry the ./configure again and it FOUND libusb now and it is enabled. I am confused though because pkg-config still doesn’t find libusb but it succeeds?

$ pkg-config libusb --cflags
Package libusb was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libusb.pc'
No package 'libusb’ found

BUT… it does show up this way?

$ pkg-config libusb-1.0 --cflags
-I/usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/include/libusb-1.0

$ pkg-config --list-all
libecpg_compat libecpg_compat - PostgreSQL libecpg_compat library
openbabel-2.0  Open Babel library - libopenbabel
sqlite3        SQLite - SQL database engine
zlib           zlib - zlib compression library
openssl        OpenSSL - Secure Sockets Layer and cryptography libraries and tools
libexslt       libexslt - EXSLT Extension library
libusb-1.0     libusb-1.0 - C API for USB device access from Linux, Mac OS X, Windows and OpenBSD/NetBSD userspace
apr-1          APR - The Apache Portable Runtime library
libcrypto      OpenSSL-libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptography library
apr-util-1     APR Utils - Companion library for APR
libxml-2.0     libXML - libXML library version2.
libpcre        libpcre - PCRE - Perl compatible regular expressions C library
libpq          libpq - PostgreSQL libpq library
libpgtypes     libpgtypes - PostgreSQL libpgtypes library
libecpg        libecpg - PostgreSQL libecpg library
libedit        libedit - command line editor library provides generic line editing, history, and tokenization functions.
libcurl        libcurl - Library to transfer files with ftp, http, etc.
libpcreposix   libpcreposix - PCREPosix - Posix compatible interface to libpcre
libxslt        libxslt - XSLT library version 2.
libiodbc       iODBC - iODBC Driver Manager
libssl         OpenSSL - Secure Sockets Layer and cryptography libraries

./configure for owfs works now...

checking for LIBUSB... yes

Compile-time options:
                      USB is enabled
[...]

When I have access to my 1-wire hardware I’ll give it a try.

Thanks Folks!

Dean

On Feb 4, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Johan Ström <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

at least the current master (or well, ftdi branch but nothing touched there since 9a8aa0 == 3.1p1) detects libusb properly on my OS X (10.10.5):

checking for LIBUSB... yes
Compile-time options:
                      USB is enabled

I have no custom configure flags, and libusb from brew.

What does pkg-config tell you? This is the output on my box:

$ pkg-config libusb --cflags
-I/usr/local/Cellar/libusb-compat/0.1.5/include -I/usr/local/Cellar/libusb/1.0.20/include/libusb-1.0
$

Re: OWFS and OSX...

Dean Waldow
Success!

When I have access to my 1-wire hardware I’ll give it a try.

I was able to test the install and it worked well! I was able to see (owdir) and read (owread) all of the devices I have from Hobby Boards: Temp, Temp/Humidity, hub, and a moisture meter using the owserver. I’ll have to play with the moister meter a bit as the values are all 199. All other devices gave reasonable values.

Here is a summary of what I did mostly following Stefano’s suggested order with Jan's / Johan’s debugging help as well. The install didn’t work until I added pkg-config via brew as far as I could tell.

$ cd $home
$ brew install libusb
$ brew install pkg-config
$ wget —URL-of-owfs---
$ tar xvzf owfs-3.1p1.tar.gz
$ cd owfs-3.1p1
$ ./configure --prefix $HOME/owfs-install --disable-owtcl
$ make -j4
$ make install
$ $HOME/owfs-install/bin/owserver -u -—foreground

from another terminal:

$ $HOME/owfs-install/bin/owdir

Thanks again for the help. Now I will start building my monitoring system.

Dean

Re: OWFS and OSX...

Stefano Miccoli

On 05 Feb 2016, at 07:36, Dean Waldow <[hidden email]> wrote:

$ brew install pkg-config

Sorry my fault: I have a bunch of brew packages installed and was not able to track down all dependencies…: I read the thread to late to give advice.

Just a few comments.

Fuse is really not necessary: it is handy to have it for exploring the owfs tree, but for shell scripting it is better to use owdir/owread/owwrite

In your config the perl/python/php/tcl language binding are not available due to the lack of swig. If you brew-install swig you should unlock the perl/python/php/tcl bindings.

BTW this is partially a bug in ./configure: in fact there are two different language bindings. One is based on libow+swig (source in module/swig) and should be locked. The other one, in module/ownet is based on the owserver tcp protocol, and does not require swig and libow: this one should be available even is swig is not installed. (Of course, having just a single item for each language simplify things a lot, but having to install swig to unlock the ownet python bindings makes not much sense to me.)

I have a personal distaste for swig, so after a while I found it more convenient to implement my own python language bindings, see http://pyownet.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

If you install swig, pay attention that most of the scripting languages interfaces will be installed outside of the —prefix directory: if you are paranoid (like me) on keeping very isolated developing environments this could be a little bit annoying.

S.

Re: OWFS and OSX...

Jan Kandziora
Am 05.02.2016 um 10:36 schrieb Stefano Miccoli:

> In your config the perl/python/php/tcl language binding are not
> available due to the lack of swig. If you brew-install swig you
> should unlock the perl/python/php/tcl bindings.

The tcl binding is not built on top of SWIG and there is no ownet based
tcl binding either.