OWFS on Raspberry Pi 2 help

12

OWFS on Raspberry Pi 2 help

Juliean Galak
If this isn't the right forum for this, I apologize, but I've been banging my head against this for months and can't seem to resolve it.

I'm trying to run OWFS over the w1 kernel module on a Raspberry Pi 2 running the 3.1 (Wheezy) kernel.  (I need to use the w1 module for compatibility with other programs, switching to another bus master isn't an option).

Debian's apt-get system installs version 2.8, which doesn't seem to work well with w1.  It was suggested to me that downloading and building 3.1 would resolve the issue.  I've done so, and it appears to have built successfully, but I can't figure out how to set it up to run as a service the way the version installed by apt-get runs.  There isn't an /etc/owfs.conf file, and it doesn't auto-start.

Any help would be appreciated.  My previous problems trying to get version 2.8 to run can be seen here: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/37070/problems-with-owfs-over-the-w1-kernel-module

Thank you for any help,

--
Juliean Galak

Re: OWFS on Raspberry Pi 2 help

Jan Kandziora
Am 27.04.2016 um 21:33 schrieb Juliean Galak:

> Debian's apt-get system installs version 2.8, which doesn't seem to work
> well with w1.  It was suggested to me that downloading and building 3.1
> would resolve the issue.  I've done so, and it appears to have built
> successfully, but I can't figure out how to set it up to run as a service
> the way the version installed by apt-get runs.  There isn't an
> /etc/owfs.conf file, and it doesn't auto-start.

owfs-3.1p1 is available as a debian package:
https://packages.debian.org/de/sid/electronics/owfs-fuse

I suggest you to install that package, it includes the necessary systemd
unit files for debian/raspbian. You normally find them installed at
/usr/lib/systemd/system/ and may copy them if you decide to remove the
package again.

A minimal /etc/owfs.conf should contain this (and only this):

!server: server = localhost:4304
server: w1

Which daemons to auto-start? Most people will only ever need owserver.
The debian package IIRC starts all available daemons by default, which
is a bit of overkill.

Check whether it's working with

$ owdir /uncached

Oh, and don't use the owfs-fuse interface for anything but demonstration
purposes, as it has concurrency issues. Always use the language bindings
or the utility programs.

Re: OWFS on Raspberry Pi 2 help

Juliean Galak
Thanks for the quick reply!  I installed the recommended package and everything seemed to install correctly and the owserver started ok.

I'd like to be able to access the owfs in two ways - through the file system, and through a web page.  In the past versions of OWFS, that was enabled by default (it just didn't work - the web page existed, the mount point existed, it just didn't recognize the attached sensors).

My owfs.conf currently has the following lines:

! server: server = localhost:4304
server: w1

mountpoint = /mnt/1wire
allow_other

http: port = 2121
ftp: port = 2120
server: port = localhost:4304

(the last two lines were there in the default owfs.conf, I didn't bother commenting them out)

After edting owfs.conf I've restarted the server (using sudo service owserver restart) and even rebooted, but I don't get anything in /mnt/1wire and when I try to access http://192.168.1.121:2121  (the IP of the Pi) I get a "could not connect" message from the browser.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:

Check whether it's working with

$ owdir /uncached

This command just hangs and has to be killed via Ctrl-C

Oh, and don't use the owfs-fuse interface for anything but demonstration
purposes, as it has concurrency issues. Always use the language bindings
or the utility programs.

I have no idea what this means :)  The plan is to use a program called Elsinore Strangebrews  which relies on w1 and owfs to feed it sensor data.

Thanks again,
Juliean.

Am 28.04.2016 um 03:19 schrieb Juliean Galak:
> Thanks for the quick reply!  I installed the recommended package and
> everything seemed to install correctly and the owserver started ok.
>
> I'd like to be able to access the owfs in two ways - through the file
> system,

Ah, don't do this. Really. The owfs daemon has concurrency issues,
making it impossible to read out any multi-char values (read: almost
everything) reliably. It may just change file contents while you are
reading it, result is garbage.

> and through a web page.

You need the owhttpd to do this. Or you implement it your own.

> In the past versions of OWFS, that was
> enabled by default (it just didn't work - the web page existed, the mount
> point existed, it just didn't recognize the attached sensors).
>
> My owfs.conf currently has the following lines:
>
> ! server: server = localhost:4304
> server: w1

Fine.

> mountpoint = /mnt/1wire
> allow_other

That's required for the owfs daemon. Don't use it for anything but
demonstration purposes. Not even for testing.

> http: port = 2121
> ftp: port = 2120

That's unnecessary as these are the default ports.

> server: port = localhost:4304

That means you want to bind owserver to localhost, instead of
INADDR_ANY. Accessing it from other ip addresses is not possible then.
(no problem if owserver and owhttpd are on the same host.)

> After edting owfs.conf I've restarted the server (using sudo service
> owserver restart) and even rebooted, but I don't get anything in /mnt/1wire

Fuse problems most likely. Check with

$ owdir /uncached

That asks owserver about the onewire chips connected and owserver asks
kernel's w1 subsystem.

> and when I try to access http://192.168.1.121:2121  (the IP of the Pi) I
> get a "could not connect" message from the browser.

Because owhttpd not being started, most likely.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 28.04.2016 um 03:19 schrieb Juliean Galak:
> Thanks for the quick reply!  I installed the recommended package and
> everything seemed to install correctly and the owserver started ok.
>
> I'd like to be able to access the owfs in two ways - through the file
> system,

Ah, don't do this. Really. The owfs daemon has concurrency issues,
making it impossible to read out any multi-char values (read: almost
everything) reliably. It may just change file contents while you are
reading it, result is garbage.

> and through a web page.

You need the owhttpd to do this. Or you implement it your own.

owhttpd is what I want, but I can't figure out how to start it.  "sudo service owhttpd start" doesn't work - it says no such service.  Before, it auto started.

> After edting owfs.conf I've restarted the server (using sudo service
> owserver restart) and even rebooted, but I don't get anything in /mnt/1wire

Fuse problems most likely. Check with

$ owdir /uncached

That asks owserver about the onewire chips connected and owserver asks
kernel's w1 subsystem.

When I run that command, I get this:

/uncached/10.67C6697351FF
/uncached/05.4AEC29CDBAAB
/uncached/28.FF035F651501
/uncached/bus.2
/uncached/bus.1
/uncached/bus.0
/uncached/settings
/uncached/system
/uncached/statistics
/uncached/structure
/uncached/simultaneous
/uncached/alarm

The first three items that look like 1W IDs, but they aren't the IDs of the two devices I have attached to the bus.  (w1 recognizes the devices correctly - they come up in /sys/bus/w1/devices

Further advice appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Juliean.

Re: OWFS on Raspberry Pi 2 help

Andy Carter
On Wednesday 27 Apr 2016 15:33:07 Juliean Galak wrote:

> Debian's apt-get system installs version 2.8, which doesn't seem to work
> well with w1.  It was suggested to me that downloading and building 3.1
> would resolve the issue.  I've done so, and it appears to have built
> successfully, but I can't figure out how to set it up to run as a service
> the way the version installed by apt-get runs.  There isn't an
> /etc/owfs.conf file, and it doesn't auto-start.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  My previous problems trying to get version
> 2.8 to run can be seen here:
> http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/37070/problems-with-owfs-over
> -the-w1-kernel-module

I'm currently running the latest from git on a Pi as there are problems with
my LCD with 3.1p1 package versions - there is a recent thread here.

I simply copied all the built built files over the installed debian 3.1p1 files
but had problems getting it to start at boot until I removed all the owfs
files in /opt

I'm not clever enough to understand why that worked but guess there may be
bits of systemd trying to start both versions?

Andy

Am 28.04.2016 um 04:15 schrieb Juliean Galak:
>>> and through a web page.
>>>
>> You need the owhttpd to do this. Or you implement it your own.
>>

> owhttpd is what I want, but I can't figure out how to start it.  "sudo
> service owhttpd start" doesn't work - it says no such service.  Before, it
> auto started.

If you don't use the package, that cannot work as the owfs distribution
doesn't have any start scripts or unit files on board.

The debian package seems not to have a systemd unit file but a
owhttpd.init script meant for being placed in /etc/init.d/. It's not
there when you install the package?

>>> After edting owfs.conf I've restarted the server (using sudo service
>>> owserver restart) and even rebooted, but I don't get anything in
>> /mnt/1wire
>>>
>> Fuse problems most likely. Check with
>>
>> $ owdir /uncached
>>
>> That asks owserver about the onewire chips connected and owserver asks
>> kernel's w1 subsystem.
>>

> When I run that command, I get this:
>
> /uncached/10.67C6697351FF
> /uncached/05.4AEC29CDBAAB
> /uncached/28.FF035F651501
> /uncached/bus.2
> /uncached/bus.1
> /uncached/bus.0
> /uncached/settings
> /uncached/system
> /uncached/statistics
> /uncached/structure
> /uncached/simultaneous
> /uncached/alarm

It means owserver works.

> The first three items that look like 1W IDs, but they aren't the IDs of the
> two devices I have attached to the bus.  (w1 recognizes the devices
> correctly - they come up in /sys/bus/w1/devices

Check the output of

$ ps aux|grep owserver

for the --fake option. And the -c/--configfile option, it's also
possible to specify fake (testing) devices in a config file.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 9:01 AM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 28.04.2016 um 04:15 schrieb Juliean Galak:
>>> and through a web page.
>>>
>> You need the owhttpd to do this. Or you implement it your own.
>>

> owhttpd is what I want, but I can't figure out how to start it.  "sudo
> service owhttpd start" doesn't work - it says no such service.  Before, it
> auto started.

If you don't use the package, that cannot work as the owfs distribution
doesn't have any start scripts or unit files on board.

The debian package seems not to have a systemd unit file but a
owhttpd.init script meant for being placed in /etc/init.d/. It's not
there when you install the package?

I am using the debian package.

Doing "ls /etc/init.d/" shows me owserver, but nothing about owhttpd.  Do I need to copy owhttpd.init into that directory?  If so, where do I find it?

Check the output of

$ ps aux|grep owserver

for the --fake option. And the -c/--configfile option, it's also
possible to specify fake (testing) devices in a config file.

Here's the output of that:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ps aux|grep owserver
root      2401  0.0  0.2  45084  1964 ?        Ssl  02:09   0:00 /usr/bin/owserver -c /etc/owfs.conf --pid-file /var/run/owfs/owserver.pid
pi        2708  0.0  0.1   3552  1824 pts/0    S+   16:13   0:00 grep --color=auto owserver

The config file appears to be the correct one, /etc/owfs.conf, containing only the following lines:

! server: server = localhost:4304
server: w1
mountpoint = /mnt/1wire
allow_other

There is still nothing showing up in /mnt/1wire

Thanks,
Juliean.

Am 28.04.2016 um 18:19 schrieb Juliean Galak:

> I am using the debian package.
>
> Doing "ls /etc/init.d/" shows me owserver, but nothing about owhttpd.  Do I
> need to copy owhttpd.init into that directory?  If so, where do I find it?

I extracted it from
http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/owfs/owfs_3.1p1-3.debian.tar.xz from
the page I originally showed you.

>> Check the output of
>>
>> $ ps aux|grep owserver
>>
>> for the --fake option. And the -c/--configfile option, it's also
>> possible to specify fake (testing) devices in a config file.
>>

> Here's the output of that:
>
> pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ps aux|grep owserver
> root      2401  0.0  0.2  45084  1964 ?        Ssl  02:09   0:00
> /usr/bin/owserver -c /etc/owfs.conf --pid-file /var/run/owfs/owserver.pid
> pi        2708  0.0  0.1   3552  1824 pts/0    S+   16:13   0:00 grep
> --color=auto owserver

That's ok. Then what's the output of /sys/bus/w1/devices?

> The config file appears to be the correct one, /etc/owfs.conf, containing
> only the following lines:
>
> ! server: server = localhost:4304
> server: w1
> mountpoint = /mnt/1wire
> allow_other
>
> There is still nothing showing up in /mnt/1wire

That's normal. You would need the owfs daemon for that. However, don't
use it. Change your plan. It's not gonna work as you expected.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 28.04.2016 um 18:19 schrieb Juliean Galak:

> I am using the debian package.
>
> Doing "ls /etc/init.d/" shows me owserver, but nothing about owhttpd.  Do I
> need to copy owhttpd.init into that directory?  If so, where do I find it?

I extracted it from
http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/owfs/owfs_3.1p1-3.debian.tar.xz from
the page I originally showed you.

Ok, I found owhttpd.init in that archive, in the rpm/src directory, and copied it to /etc/init.d/  I then rebooted. No apparent change - owhttpd doesn't seem to be running.

>> Check the output of
>>
>> $ ps aux|grep owserver
>>
>> for the --fake option. And the -c/--configfile option, it's also
>> possible to specify fake (testing) devices in a config file.
>>

> Here's the output of that:
>
> pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ps aux|grep owserver
> root      2401  0.0  0.2  45084  1964 ?        Ssl  02:09   0:00
> /usr/bin/owserver -c /etc/owfs.conf --pid-file /var/run/owfs/owserver.pid
> pi        2708  0.0  0.1   3552  1824 pts/0    S+   16:13   0:00 grep
> --color=auto owserver

That's ok. Then what's the output of /sys/bus/w1/devices?

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/
28-000007298911  28-0115655f03ff  w1_bus_master1

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-0115655f03ff/w1_slave
7b 01 4b 46 7f ff 0c 10 af : crc=af YES
7b 01 4b 46 7f ff 0c 10 af t=23687

Thanks,
Juliean.

Am 28.04.2016 um 19:53 schrieb Juliean Galak:

> Ok, I found owhttpd.init in that archive, in the rpm/src directory, and
> copied it to /etc/init.d/  I then rebooted. No apparent change - owhttpd
> doesn't seem to be running.

You have to activate the service. Installing that file should make the
"service" tool work as expected.

>> That's ok. Then what's the output of /sys/bus/w1/devices?
>>

> pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/
> 28-000007298911  28-0115655f03ff  w1_bus_master1

Ah, 28-0115655f03ff is the same as /uncached/28.FF035F651501

There is a disagreement about byte order in chip IDs. Paul originally
chose to leave it as the bytes appear on the bus, but everyone else
(including Dallas/Maxim) seem to do it the other way around, flipping
the 6 middle bytes of the id. We cannot change this as not to break
existing installations.

As for the other devices listed, and some not listed, I expect your bus
to be electrically unreliable. Reading /uncached/ advises the w1
subsystem to do an extra "Search ROM" cycle and return the result, while
it does this automatically, too, and may get different results.

How do you wire your bus to the Pi? GPIO4 and nothing more? Level
shifter? DS2483 on I²C? Is there another owserver running on some device
in your network?

Which chips are connected, physically?

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 28.04.2016 um 19:53 schrieb Juliean Galak:

> Ok, I found owhttpd.init in that archive, in the rpm/src directory, and
> copied it to /etc/init.d/  I then rebooted. No apparent change - owhttpd
> doesn't seem to be running.

You have to activate the service. Installing that file should make the
"service" tool work as expected.

Still doesn't seem to work:

pi@raspberrypi ~/owfs-3.1p1/src/rpm $ sudo service owhttpd start
owhttpd: unrecognized service

When you say "installing" that file, do you mean simply copying it, with "cp", or something more involved?  (Sorry, I'm not really a Linux expert)

>> That's ok. Then what's the output of /sys/bus/w1/devices?
>>

> pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/
> 28-000007298911  28-0115655f03ff  w1_bus_master1

Ah, 28-0115655f03ff is the same as /uncached/28.FF035F651501

There is a disagreement about byte order in chip IDs. Paul originally
chose to leave it as the bytes appear on the bus, but everyone else
(including Dallas/Maxim) seem to do it the other way around, flipping
the 6 middle bytes of the id. We cannot change this as not to break
existing installations.

As for the other devices listed, and some not listed, I expect your bus
to be electrically unreliable. Reading /uncached/ advises the w1
subsystem to do an extra "Search ROM" cycle and return the result, while
it does this automatically, too, and may get different results.

How do you wire your bus to the Pi? GPIO4 and nothing more? Level
shifter? DS2483 on I²C? Is there another owserver running on some device
in your network?

Which chips are connected, physically?

Aha!  I didn't know about the byte flip.  That may explain it.

There are currently two DS18B20 temperature sensors connected, both just via GPIO4.  No level shifters, just a single pull-up resistor, nothing else.  No other devices on the network using owfs afaik - unless there's something embedded in some device somewhere.

Thanks,
Juliean.

Am 28.04.2016 um 22:39 schrieb Juliean Galak:
> Still doesn't seem to work:
>
> pi@raspberrypi ~/owfs-3.1p1/src/rpm $ sudo service owhttpd start
> owhttpd: unrecognized service
>
> When you say "installing" that file, do you mean simply copying it, with
> "cp", or something more involved?  (Sorry, I'm not really a Linux expert)

Yes, I meant copying it. But it seems there's more/other work to do.
Maybe I was right first about you are needing a systemd unit file
instead of this script file. (Sorry, I'm not really a Debian expert,
have my own home-brewn Linux distribution for the Pi.)

You will have to wait until my Pi2 arrives before I can check with
Debian. Or someone else helps you with this.

> Aha!  I didn't know about the byte flip.  That may explain it.
>
> There are currently two DS18B20 temperature sensors connected, both just
> via GPIO4.  No level shifters, just a single pull-up resistor, nothing
> else.

Okay, then you should notice you are running the bus at 3.3V. Most
onewire chips work reliably at 3.3V but others do not. The DS18B20 do.

What is important, that you are connecting the pullup resistor to +3.3V.
NOT 5V! And you should use 1.2k..1.5k, not the 4.7k which is sometimes
ill-advised.

> No other devices on the network using owfs afaik - unless there's
> something embedded in some device somewhere.

Ah, then I don't get where the 10.xxx and 05.xxx chips come from.

Re: OWFS on Raspberry Pi 2 help

Am 28.04.2016 um 22:39 schrieb Juliean Galak:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 28.04.2016 um 19:53 schrieb Juliean Galak:
>>>
>>> Ok, I found owhttpd.init in that archive, in the rpm/src directory, and
>>> copied it to /etc/init.d/  I then rebooted. No apparent change - owhttpd
>>> doesn't seem to be running.
>>>
>> You have to activate the service. Installing that file should make the
>> "service" tool work as expected.

I've set up a Raspberry Pi (Pi1) with Raspbian and checked the packages
available in the Raspbian Testing repository. They are OK.

So: please remove all the owfs tools installed from source first. The copied
files, too

Then use the owfs packages from the Raspbian testing repository. Edit
(or create) your /etc/apt/preferences to contain:
Package: *
Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 300
This is important so you keep stable (Jessie) for all packages but the ones
explicitly taken from testing (Stretch).

Then, add a line
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free rpi
to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get access to the Raspbian testing repository.

Do an

$ sudo apt-get update

to read the package metadata, then check

$ sudo apt-cache policy

whether the testing repo is there with priority 300. Then

$ sudo apt-get update -t testing owserver owhttpd ow-shell

That should install all you need, including the startup files and systemd units.
Note you have to edit /etc/owfs.conf again to contain (this and only this)
!server: server = localhost:4304
server: w1
Restart the owserver and owhttpd service after that.

That way, both owread and owhttpd work as expected.

Am 30.04.2016 um 22:59 schrieb Jan Kandziora:
> whether the testing repo is there with priority 300. Then
>
> $ sudo apt-get update -t testing owserver owhttpd ow-shell

Ah, wrong. Of course it has to read:

$ sudo apt-get install -t testing owserver owhttpd ow-shell

Re: OWFS on Raspberry Pi 2 help

Juliean Galak
Jan,

Before I do that, what version of Raspbian are you running on the Pi1?  If it's anything earlier than Wheezy, the solution may not be applicable.  From what I've heard from others, the earlier kernel versions that run on the Pi1 didn't have any problems with w1 and owfs coexisting.  It was only with Wheezy that problems appeared, but the Pi2 doesn't run anything earlier than Wheezy.

Thanks

Juliean.

Am 02.05.2016 um 21:43 schrieb Juliean Galak:

> Before I do that, what version of Raspbian are you running on the Pi1?  If
> it's anything earlier than Wheezy, the solution may not be applicable.

It runs the minimal Jessie image from Raspbian packaged at 2016-03-18.
That is, Linux-4.1.19.

But, important: it runs owserver-3.1p1 from *Stretch*. You have to
configure your repository list and policies as I wrote before.

> From what I've heard from others, the earlier kernel versions that run on
> the Pi1 didn't have any problems with w1 and owfs coexisting.

Linux-3.16rc1 and later require at least owserver-3.1p1. If your kernel
is older, you are fine with owserver-2.8. You can believe me because it
was me who finally imported the required patch which lingered somewhere
in the Raspberry forums, neatly hidden not to be found by us...

Re: OWFS on Raspberry Pi 2 help

Juliean Galak
Ah!  I'm not running Jessie, I'm running Wheezy.  Under Jessie, I couldn't get even w1 by itself to work (I'm also not sure the software I'm planning on running works under Jessie).

Juliean.

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 02.05.2016 um 21:43 schrieb Juliean Galak:

> Before I do that, what version of Raspbian are you running on the Pi1?  If
> it's anything earlier than Wheezy, the solution may not be applicable.

It runs the minimal Jessie image from Raspbian packaged at 2016-03-18.
That is, Linux-4.1.19.

But, important: it runs owserver-3.1p1 from *Stretch*. You have to
configure your repository list and policies as I wrote before.

> From what I've heard from others, the earlier kernel versions that run on
> the Pi1 didn't have any problems with w1 and owfs coexisting.

Linux-3.16rc1 and later require at least owserver-3.1p1. If your kernel
is older, you are fine with owserver-2.8. You can believe me because it
was me who finally imported the required patch which lingered somewhere
in the Raspberry forums, neatly hidden not to be found by us...

Juliean Galak

Re: OWFS on Raspberry Pi 2 help

JohnneyBoy
Hello,

I have w1 working under Jessie, using either parasitic or all three wires... Have owfs running only with 3 wires, however no joy under parasitic

John

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 May 2016, at 21:51, Juliean Galak <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ah!  I'm not running Jessie, I'm running Wheezy.  Under Jessie, I couldn't get even w1 by itself to work (I'm also not sure the software I'm planning on running works under Jessie).

Juliean.

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 02.05.2016 um 21:43 schrieb Juliean Galak:

> Before I do that, what version of Raspbian are you running on the Pi1?  If
> it's anything earlier than Wheezy, the solution may not be applicable.

It runs the minimal Jessie image from Raspbian packaged at 2016-03-18.
That is, Linux-4.1.19.

But, important: it runs owserver-3.1p1 from *Stretch*. You have to
configure your repository list and policies as I wrote before.

> From what I've heard from others, the earlier kernel versions that run on
> the Pi1 didn't have any problems with w1 and owfs coexisting.

Linux-3.16rc1 and later require at least owserver-3.1p1. If your kernel
is older, you are fine with owserver-2.8. You can believe me because it
was me who finally imported the required patch which lingered somewhere
in the Raspberry forums, neatly hidden not to be found by us...

Juliean Galak

Re: OWFS on Raspberry Pi 2 help

Juliean Galak
Three wires is fine for me.

Do you by chance have a step-by-step procedure for getting this to work, from a clean install?

Maybe I need to try under Jessie rather than Wheezy...

Thanks,
Juliean.