Performance

Paul Alfille
I've written up my testing of OWFS performance.

Basically, Caching wins
Owserver is free
Remote is fast
Serial is slower.

http://owfs.sourceforge.net/performance.html

Paul

Re: Performance

jerry scharf
Paul,

Thanks for the information. I had a couple questions:

First, do you know what causes the 4 second elapsed time on the bare bus?

Second, can you try the experiment with a write to the simultaneous flag
and then read back? That's a better look at the bus traffic time compared
to the conversion time.

thanks,
jerry

Jerry Scharf
laguna way consulting

Re: Performance

Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2005 04:57 schrieb Paul Alfille:
> I've written up my testing of OWFS performance.

Great. Many thanks for the data, Paul.

If I understand correctly, it cost about 20ms to check if a device is present
on the bus (list process). Does it have the same cost to read or change a PIO
pin (or another operation) on an already "known" device? How is it with
changing a couple of things on the same device simultaneously (PIO.ALL)?

RE: Performance

Alfille, Paul H.,M.D.
Changing a pin seems much slower. I'll post the data tomorrow. I think that is
intrinsic to the chip.

PIO.ALL should be no slower than PIO.A, actually faster since it is the atomic
operation and changing just one pin involves reading that state of all, then
changing the requested bit and writing them back.

Paul