Problem with owserver not starting at boot on raspbian jessie

Problem with owserver not starting at boot on raspbian jessie

Nigel Titley
I'm running a brand new raspian jessie install, on a Pi 3 with the stock
owfs package installed. All works fine with one exception: owserver
won't start at boot.

>From the command line

/etc/init.d/owserver start

doesn't work either *unless* I first do a

/etc/init.d/owserver stop

After that it runs fine... until the next reboot.

My owfs.conf file is pointing at an EDS OW-server and I'm wondering if
that is maybe the issue. Certainly when I first installed owfs and
before I modified owfs.conf to take out the FAKE driver and put in the

server = enet nn.nn.nn.nn:8080

line it seemed to come up at reboot.

I'm carrying on investigations but I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone
make a suggestion?

Thanks

Nigel

Re: Problem with owserver not starting at boot on raspbian jessie

Jan Kandziora
Am 24.08.2016 um 20:47 schrieb Nigel Titley:

> I'm carrying on investigations but I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone
> make a suggestion?

Check whether the network is up and thus, the enet device reachable at
the moment owserver is started. Otherwise it may just fail or be stuck.

Re: Problem with owserver not starting at boot on raspbian jessie

Andy Carter
On Wednesday 24 Aug 2016 23:46:20 Jan Kandziora wrote:
> Am 24.08.2016 um 20:47 schrieb Nigel Titley:
> > I'm carrying on investigations but I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone
> > make a suggestion?
>
> Check whether the network is up and thus, the enet device reachable at
> the moment owserver is started. Otherwise it may just fail or be stuck.

There is an option in raspi-config 'Wait for network' which delays boot until
the network is up

Perhaps setting this would help - depending on when owserver starts of course

Andy

On 25/08/16 06:59, Andy Carter wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 Aug 2016 23:46:20 Jan Kandziora wrote:
>> Am 24.08.2016 um 20:47 schrieb Nigel Titley:
>>> I'm carrying on investigations but I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone
>>> make a suggestion?
>> Check whether the network is up and thus, the enet device reachable at
>> the moment owserver is started. Otherwise it may just fail or be stuck.
> There is an option in raspi-config 'Wait for network' which delays boot until
> the network is up
>
> Perhaps setting this would help - depending on when owserver starts of course

This is a possibility and it had crossed my mind that this might be the
issue but it doesn't explain why a subsequent attempt to start it from
the command line fails. Is there cleanup that "owserver stop" does that
would explain this behaviour? I can only see it cleaning up the pid file
and there is no pid file after the failed start at boot.

I'll try switching on error reporting and see if I can get a clue about
what's happening into the log. I'll get back when/if I get something

Thanks for your responses

Nigel

Re: Problem with owserver not starting at boot on raspbian jessie

Matthias Urlichs-3
On 25.08.2016 14:38, Nigel Titley wrote:

> This is a possibility and it had crossed my mind that this might be the
> issue but it doesn't explain why a subsequent attempt to start it from
> the command line fails.
I had that problem on one of my Raspberry Pi systems.

The issue went away after I changed the power supply.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs

On 25/08/16 13:47, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> On 25.08.2016 14:38, Nigel Titley wrote:
>> This is a possibility and it had crossed my mind that this might be the
>> issue but it doesn't explain why a subsequent attempt to start it from
>> the command line fails.
> I had that problem on one of my Raspberry Pi systems.
>
> The issue went away after I changed the power supply.

Hmm, that's an interesting approach. I can certainly try it, although
it's an official 2.5A Pi PSU

Thanks for the suggestion

Am 25.08.2016 um 16:07 schrieb Nigel Titley:

> On 25/08/16 13:47, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
>> On 25.08.2016 14:38, Nigel Titley wrote:
>>> This is a possibility and it had crossed my mind that this might be the
>>> issue but it doesn't explain why a subsequent attempt to start it from
>>> the command line fails.
>> I had that problem on one of my Raspberry Pi systems.
>>
>> The issue went away after I changed the power supply.
>>
> Hmm, that's an interesting approach. I can certainly try it, although
> it's an official 2.5A Pi PSU

Check if you have the little colored square in the top right corner of
the screen. That's what the GPU inescapably displays when it thinks the
voltage isn't high enough or too unstable. Problem may be the cable, not
the power supply itself.

On 25/08/16 15:27, Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Am 25.08.2016 um 16:07 schrieb Nigel Titley:

>>> I had that problem on one of my Raspberry Pi systems.
>>>
>>> The issue went away after I changed the power supply.
>>>
>> Hmm, that's an interesting approach. I can certainly try it, although
>> it's an official 2.5A Pi PSU
>>
> Check if you have the little colored square in the top right corner of
> the screen. That's what the GPU inescapably displays when it thinks the
> voltage isn't high enough or too unstable. Problem may be the cable, not
> the power supply itself.

It's running headless. I'll measure the voltage though and I've got
alternative known-good power supplies.

Nigel

Re: Problem with owserver not starting at boot on raspbian jessie

CReese
There's a GPIO you can read for undervoltage. 35 IIRC.

On 25/08/16 15:46, Colin Reese wrote:

> There's a GPIO you can read for undervoltage. 35 IIRC.

>>> Check if you have the little colored square in the top right corner of
>>> the screen. That's what the GPU inescapably displays when it thinks the
>>> voltage isn't high enough or too unstable. Problem may be the cable, not
>>> the power supply itself.
>>>
>> It's running headless. I'll measure the voltage though and I've got
>> alternative known-good power supplies.

I know this is an old thread but I've got a little extra data on it.
Previously I had two EDS owservers as my only 1-wire interface and
owserver would never start up at system boot time. I could start
manually once the system was up by doing the stop - start dance as
described earlier. However, last night I added a Link45 to the network
and now owserver and owhttpd start perfectly every time.

Am 07.11.2016 um 12:18 schrieb Nigel Titley:

> I know this is an old thread but I've got a little extra data on it.
> Previously I had two EDS owservers as my only 1-wire interface and
> owserver would never start up at system boot time. I could start
> manually once the system was up by doing the stop - start dance as
> described earlier. However, last night I added a Link45 to the network
> and now owserver and owhttpd start perfectly every time.

owserver does not start when there is no host adapter reachable at
startup time.

Maybe your network isn't up at the moment you start owserver.

On 07/11/16 12:44, Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Am 07.11.2016 um 12:18 schrieb Nigel Titley:
>> I know this is an old thread but I've got a little extra data on it.
>> Previously I had two EDS owservers as my only 1-wire interface and
>> owserver would never start up at system boot time. I could start
>> manually once the system was up by doing the stop - start dance as
>> described earlier. However, last night I added a Link45 to the network
>> and now owserver and owhttpd start perfectly every time.
>>
> owserver does not start when there is no host adapter reachable at
> startup time.
>
> Maybe your network isn't up at the moment you start owserver.
Yes, that was what we decided was probably the issue, but what we never
managed to work out was why, having failed to start at bootup, it was
necessary to stop the service and then start it, even though it wasn't
running.

All the best

Nigel

Re: Problem with owserver not starting at boot on raspbian jessie

Stefano Miccoli

On 07 Nov 2016, at 20:56, Nigel Titley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, that was what we decided was probably the issue, but what we never
managed to work out was why, having failed to start at bootup, it was
necessary to stop the service and then start it, even though it wasn't
running.

This should be a problem within the init system, which is unaware of the fact that the owserver “failed” to start.

I would classify this problem as downstream, unless there is clear evidence that owserver fails in an unexpected/undocumented way. I occasionally run owserver on raspbian, and in my experience “systemctl start/stop/status owserver” are not 100% reliable. (I suspect that this is linked to the the fact that in raspbian owserver is started via the old SYSV scripts, and not as a “type=notify” systemd service. Sorry, but I’ve never had time to investigate.)

S.M.

On 08/11/16 11:29, Stefano Miccoli wrote:

[...]

No real problem. If and when I have time I'll check it out myself. For the moment, as I say, the problem has been worked around.

All the best

Nigel