RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Alfille, Paul H.,M.D.
Matthew,

1. Hello and welcome aboard
2. The best place for questions (and answers) is the mailing list.
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=85502
3. The only driver you will need is for the user-space filesystem, FUSE.
http://fuse.sourceforge.net
4. Almost all the devices are supported, you don't need anything extra. This
includes temperature, memory, switches, voltage, current, timers, counters and
some LCD and humidity 3rd party devices.
5. Access to the data is via filesystem, web server, or perl/python/tcl/php

Paul Alfille

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Matthew Percival
G'Day,

        Thanks for your replies: they are extremely helpful!

> 4. Almost all the devices are supported, you don't need anything extra. This
> includes temperature, memory, switches, voltage, current, timers, counters and
> some LCD and humidity 3rd party devices.

        The particular device I am going to use is not yet supported, but it
sounds like I should be able to add it easily enough --- at least, the
website makes it sound easy!

> 5. Access to the data is via filesystem, web server, or perl/python/tcl/php

        I have tried to compile the 2.1.0 version available for download, but
there seems to be some problems with the tarball.  Namely, there are an
awful lot of files missing!  I cannot get configure to complete because
many of the files used by automake are missing (the ones for perl, php,
python and tcl); if I use touch to fake these (as I do not plan on
compiling them at the moment), I still cannot get it to compile because
at least one header file is missing (I say `at least' because it would
be not so quick and easy to write a placeholder file and see if I can
compile any further).

        I tried using a few different daily builds, and had other problems with
them, though I did manage to at least compile a (probably out of date)
version of owlib.  I tried downloading 2.1.0 from a different mirror
too, and still had the same problems.  Does anyone have a quick and easy
solution for this?

        Thanks,

        Matthew

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Paul Alfille
On Sunday 03 July 2005 07:07 pm, Matthew Percival wrote:

> G'Day,
>
> Thanks for your replies: they are extremely helpful!
>
> > 4. Almost all the devices are supported, you don't need anything extra.
> > This includes temperature, memory, switches, voltage, current, timers,
> > counters and some LCD and humidity 3rd party devices.
>
> The particular device I am going to use is not yet supported, but it
> sounds like I should be able to add it easily enough --- at least, the
> website makes it sound easy!
>
> > 5. Access to the data is via filesystem, web server, or
> > perl/python/tcl/php
>
> I have tried to compile the 2.1.0 version available for download, but
> there seems to be some problems with the tarball.  Namely, there are an
> awful lot of files missing!  I cannot get configure to complete because
> many of the files used by automake are missing (the ones for perl, php,
> python and tcl); if I use touch to fake these (as I do not plan on
> compiling them at the moment), I still cannot get it to compile because
> at least one header file is missing (I say `at least' because it would
> be not so quick and easy to write a placeholder file and see if I can
> compile any further).

Did you install FUSE first? http://fuse.sf.net

./configure --disable-owtcl --disable-owperl --disable-owphp
--disable-owpython

> I tried using a few different daily builds, and had other problems with
> them, though I did manage to at least compile a (probably out of date)
> version of owlib.  I tried downloading 2.1.0 from a different mirror
> too, and still had the same problems.  Does anyone have a quick and easy
> solution for this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Matthew Percival
G'Day,

> > I have tried to compile the 2.1.0 version available for download, but
> > there seems to be some problems with the tarball.  Namely, there are an
> > awful lot of files missing!  I cannot get configure to complete because
> > many of the files used by automake are missing (the ones for perl, php,
> > python and tcl); if I use touch to fake these (as I do not plan on
> > compiling them at the moment), I still cannot get it to compile because
> > at least one header file is missing (I say `at least' because it would
> > be not so quick and easy to write a placeholder file and see if I can
> > compile any further).
> >
> Did you install FUSE first? http://fuse.sf.net
>
> ./configure --disable-owtcl --disable-owperl --disable-owphp
> --disable-owpython

        Yes, the missing headers are OW device headers.  I have just finished a
possible solution: I realised a daily build should have those header
files! I downloaded the one from 7th April (so it was the day after the
release version), and added in the following headers:
                ow_1923.h
                ow_1977.h
                ow_2413.h
                ow_2433.h
                ow_1991.h
                ow_1963.h
                ow_2760.h
It now compiles!  Well, owfs and oshttpd: the others are likely missing
a great deal more.

        I cannot get it to run yet though, as I get the following error:
                error while loading shared libraries: libow.0: cannot
However, I see libow.0 in /usr/local/lib/ where it should be, and I know
that it is in my path as other programs using libraries in there run
fine.  I have a suspicion to the cause of this, however, and would just
like to confirm it.  When I use `--prefix=' with configure, does that
perhaps set where it looks for the library?  If so, then that would be
the source of my problem: I am sending it to an NFS root directory,
which obviously has a different path on the build system compared to the
target.

        If that is the problem, I can just recompile without that option and do
the install manually.  If not, I am open to suggestions!

        -- Matthew

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Paul Alfille
It shouldn't be this difficult.

What platform are you running?

Paul

On Sunday 03 July 2005 07:07 pm, Matthew Percival wrote:

> G'Day,
>
> Thanks for your replies: they are extremely helpful!
>
> > 4. Almost all the devices are supported, you don't need anything extra.
> > This includes temperature, memory, switches, voltage, current, timers,
> > counters and some LCD and humidity 3rd party devices.
>
> The particular device I am going to use is not yet supported, but it
> sounds like I should be able to add it easily enough --- at least, the
> website makes it sound easy!
>
> > 5. Access to the data is via filesystem, web server, or
> > perl/python/tcl/php
>
> I have tried to compile the 2.1.0 version available for download, but
> there seems to be some problems with the tarball.  Namely, there are an
> awful lot of files missing!  I cannot get configure to complete because
> many of the files used by automake are missing (the ones for perl, php,
> python and tcl); if I use touch to fake these (as I do not plan on
> compiling them at the moment), I still cannot get it to compile because
> at least one header file is missing (I say `at least' because it would
> be not so quick and easy to write a placeholder file and see if I can
> compile any further).
>
> I tried using a few different daily builds, and had other problems with
> them, though I did manage to at least compile a (probably out of date)
> version of owlib.  I tried downloading 2.1.0 from a different mirror
> too, and still had the same problems.  Does anyone have a quick and easy
> solution for this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Matthew Percival
G'Day,

> It shouldn't be this difficult.
>
> What platform are you running?

        I am not using a particularly standard environment.  Well, I am
building it on standard desktop, but the target machine is an OMAP5912
--- owfs/owhttpd will run on an ARM.  The board has hardware support for
1-wire, but I shall not be worrying about that just at the moment; later
on, I shall likely try to make use of this though.  We shall be adding a
DS2431 to the board, which is where the 1-wire will come into play.

        This is perhaps sliding a little off topic, but would it be possible to
share the fuse.ko line in modules.dep?  I have to build this file
manually (depmod is not available), but have not been able to find out
what the line should look like for that module.

        -- Matthew

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Paul Alfille
So your download doesn't include relevant files like
modules/owlib/src/include/*.h ?

Perhaps a CVS pull?

Then ./bootstrap
make install

and you're set.

Paul

On Sunday 03 July 2005 09:16 pm, Matthew Percival wrote:

> G'Day,
>
> > It shouldn't be this difficult.
> >
> > What platform are you running?
>
> I am not using a particularly standard environment.  Well, I am
> building it on standard desktop, but the target machine is an OMAP5912
> --- owfs/owhttpd will run on an ARM.  The board has hardware support for
> 1-wire, but I shall not be worrying about that just at the moment; later
> on, I shall likely try to make use of this though.  We shall be adding a
> DS2431 to the board, which is where the 1-wire will come into play.
>
> This is perhaps sliding a little off topic, but would it be possible to
> share the fuse.ko line in modules.dep?  I have to build this file
> manually (depmod is not available), but have not been able to find out
> what the line should look like for that module.
>
> -- Matthew

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Paul Alfille
On Sunday 03 July 2005 09:16 pm, Matthew Percival wrote:

> G'Day,
>
> > It shouldn't be this difficult.
> >
> > What platform are you running?
>
> I am not using a particularly standard environment.  Well, I am
> building it on standard desktop, but the target machine is an OMAP5912
> --- owfs/owhttpd will run on an ARM.  The board has hardware support for
> 1-wire, but I shall not be worrying about that just at the moment; later
> on, I shall likely try to make use of this though.  We shall be adding a
> DS2431 to the board, which is where the 1-wire will come into play.

Note ARM support probably will take some wizardry from Christian.

> This is perhaps sliding a little off topic, but would it be possible to
> share the fuse.ko line in modules.dep?  I have to build this file
> manually (depmod is not available), but have not been able to find out
> what the line should look like for that module.

/lib/modules/2.4.21-226-athlon/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko
> -- Matthew

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Matthew Percival
G'Day,

> So your download doesn't include relevant files like
> modules/owlib/src/include/*.h ?

        Not all of them, but several; module/swig/ is mostly empty too.

> Perhaps a CVS pull?

        I used CVS to make the difference: I figured the rest should be right,
so by adding the missing *.h files it should work.  That gets a compile,
but that is how I get up to the other problems (modules.dep so I can use
FUSE, and thus owfs, and it not finding libow.0, which keeps osfs AND
owhttpd from working)

        Thanks,

        Matthew

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Matthew Percival
G'Day,

        Thanks for all the help: I now seem to have the basics sorted out!

        Firstly, with FUSE, I never would have guessed it was just a blank
line: I was sure there would be at least one other module to be loaded.
Secondly, to paths, by making --prefix=/usr/local and installing it onto
the build machine, then moving it to the target, I was able to get
things to work.  Using --prefix to install it to the NFS root or
manually installing both caused a variety of problems.

        I am now able to mount owfs without any troubles --- at the moment,
that does not do much good, but it is reassuring to know that this much
works fine.  owhttpd does not seem to work though: when I run it on the
ARM machine, I cannot access it from a browser on this one (the build
machine).  The ARM has thttpd running on port 80, which I can access, so
I know that the problem is not network or anything like that.  One point
of note is that when I execute the command (owhttpd -p 3001
-d /dev/ttyS1), it just hangs there: I never get the prompt back.  That
is probably a pretty fair indication as to why I cannot access it with
the browser.  Not a major concern though, as owfs was the the component
I was most interested in.

        I now just have to add support for the DS2431.  I would imagine that
you would be interested in having that once I have it working: how would
I best go about getting that to the project?

        Thanks for the help: it has been exceptional!

        Matthew

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Christian Magnusson
On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 21:44 -0400, Paul Alfille wrote:

> On Sunday 03 July 2005 09:16 pm, Matthew Percival wrote:
> > G'Day,
> >
> > > It shouldn't be this difficult.
> > >
> > > What platform are you running?
> >
> > I am not using a particularly standard environment.  Well, I am
> > building it on standard desktop, but the target machine is an OMAP5912
> > --- owfs/owhttpd will run on an ARM.  The board has hardware support for
> > 1-wire, but I shall not be worrying about that just at the moment; later
> > on, I shall likely try to make use of this though.  We shall be adding a
> > DS2431 to the board, which is where the 1-wire will come into play.
> >
> Note ARM support probably will take some wizardry from Christian.
>

> > This is perhaps sliding a little off topic, but would it be possible to
> > share the fuse.ko line in modules.dep?  I have to build this file
> > manually (depmod is not available), but have not been able to find out
> > what the line should look like for that module.
> >
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-226-athlon/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko
> > -- Matthew

There are no dependencies to fuse, so the line could be empty after the
semi-colon. For my 2.4-kernel it looks like this

[root@home modules]# pwd
/usr/opt/uclinux/uClinux-dist-20041215/romfs/lib/modules
[root@home modules]# cat modules.dep
/lib/modules/2.4.27-uc1/fuse.o:
/lib/modules/2.4.27-uc1/kernel/drivers/char/mcfwatchdog.o:
[root@home modules]#

It's the same thing for 2.6-kernels where the module-name is .ko

/Christian

Christian Magnusson <[hidden email]>

Re: RE: 1-wire on Linux...

Christian Magnusson

You might be helped by looking at the makefiles I use for the linksys
router at this address:

http://home.mag.cx/uclinux/owfs/patches/linksys/

/Christian

On Monday 04 July 2005 12:47 am, Matthew Percival wrote:
> G'Day,
>
> Thanks for all the help: I now seem to have the basics sorted out!
Great!

> I am now able to mount owfs without any troubles --- at the moment,
> that does not do much good, but it is reassuring to know that this much
> works fine.  owhttpd does not seem to work though: when I run it on the
> ARM machine, I cannot access it from a browser on this one (the build
> machine).  The ARM has thttpd running on port 80, which I can access, so
> I know that the problem is not network or anything like that.  One point
> of note is that when I execute the command (owhttpd -p 3001
> -d /dev/ttyS1), it just hangs there: I never get the prompt back.  That
> is probably a pretty fair indication as to why I cannot access it with
> the browser.  Not a major concern though, as owfs was the the component
> I was most interested in.
A little strange. There could be multithreading or backgrounding problems on
this architecture. If you wanted to investigate, I'd try owhttpd
--foreground ... to test the background problem and
recompile with --disable-mt to test multithreading.

You can also run owserver on the embedded platform and owhttpd elsewhere.

> I now just have to add support for the DS2431.  I would imagine that
> you would be interested in having that once I have it working: how would
> I best go about getting that to the project?
How embarassing, no DS2431 support! It needs to be added to commands.html as
well.

The chip looks fairly similary to the DS2433 except a smaller memory, "resume"
support, and different status/control registers.

Paul