Raspberry Pi Jessie owfs-3.1.p1 w1-driver = 85c

Raspberry Pi Jessie owfs-3.1.p1 w1-driver = 85c

JohnneyBoy

Hello,

Well I have found why it’s happening. I conclude owfs is not handling passive devices correctly

So.. NOT in passive mode, i.e. all three legs of the temperature sensor connected, and a 4.7k pull up on the data line, Both /sys/bus/w1/DEVICE/temperature returns correct temperature. The same is true for owserver, when owread is run the correct temperature is returned.

Now… I rewire the temperature sensor to two wires, GND pin and VDD pin shorted to GND and the data pin with a 4.7k pullup to +3.3V.

So Passive mode,  /sys/bus/w1/DEVICE/temperature returns correct temperature, however owserver with owread return 85c, thus I would surmise that owserver is not handing passive devices correctly.

Also /boot/config.txt has the correct definition in it.

dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=4,pullup=on

I ran the test several times, rebooting each time. I also rewired the same sensor each time!

John

Re: Raspberry Pi Jessie owfs-3.1.p1 w1-driver = 85c

Jan Kandziora
Am 29.04.2016 um 18:36 schrieb John Bass:

> Well I have found why it’s happening. I conclude owfs is not handling
> passive devices correctly.

Dallas/Maxim calls them "parasite-powered", to use right terms.

> So.. NOT in passive mode, i.e. all three legs of the temperature
> sensor connected, and a 4.7k pull up on the data line, Both
> /sys/bus/w1/DEVICE/temperature returns correct temperature. The same
> is true for owserver, when owread is run the correct temperature is
> returned.

Nice.

> Now… I rewire the temperature sensor to two wires, GND pin and VDD
> pin shorted to GND and the data pin with a 4.7k pullup to +3.3V.

Reduce the pullup to 1k at 3.3V please. Having a pullup of 4.7k at 3.3V
means your devices can draw at most 3.3V/4.7k == 0.7mA.

The chip needs about 1mA during conversion.

Having the pullup value also enhances bus performance, as it allows a
bigger capacitive load (long, bad cables). So, always choose the pullup
as small as possible. 1k at 3.3V; 1.5k at 5V.

> So Passive mode,  /sys/bus/w1/DEVICE/temperature returns correct
> temperature, however owserver with owread return 85c, thus I would
> surmise that owserver is not handing passive devices correctly.

When you read from the sysfs node, the w1 temp class driver activates
the strong pullup, overriding your "too weak" pullup. This is done
automagically within microseconds. However, that function isn't exposed
in the w1 kernel<->userspace interface.

Instead, usespace programs like owserver have to use another transaction
for activating the strong pullup. Depending on process scheduling, this
may be delayed a few milliseconds, and in the meantime, your DS18B20
runs low on power and power-cycles, which gives you the 85°C reading.

So, the solution is to choose a "weak pullup" of 1k instead of 4.7k.
That way the DS18B20 never runs out of power.

Re: Raspberry Pi Jessie owfs-3.1.p1 w1-driver = 85c

JohnneyBoy
Hello Jan,

Thanks for the info...

I did wonder about the kernel space verses user space, and not being quite the same... I always get my passive and parasite mixed up :-)

OK.. so I tried the 1k resistor... and here are the results

root@raspberrypi:/sys/bus/w1/devices/10-000802837cda# more w1_slave
2d 00 4b 46 ff ff 07 10 e6 : crc=e6 YES
2d 00 4b 46 ff ff 07 10 e6 t=22312
root@raspberrypi:/sys/bus/w1/devices/10-000802837cda# owread /10.DA7C83020800/temperature
     127.688root@raspberrypi:/sys/bus/w1/devices/10-000802837cda#

So w1, file more = 22.3

And

Owread 127.688

So it's improved from the 85, well hotter :-)

Any thoughts, why this is so high from owserver, resistor still not quite there?

John

Am 29.04.2016 um 18:36 schrieb John Bass:

> Well I have found why it's happening. I conclude owfs is not handling
> passive devices correctly.

Dallas/Maxim calls them "parasite-powered", to use right terms.

> So.. NOT in passive mode, i.e. all three legs of the temperature
> sensor connected, and a 4.7k pull up on the data line, Both
> /sys/bus/w1/DEVICE/temperature returns correct temperature. The same
> is true for owserver, when owread is run the correct temperature is
> returned.

Nice.

> Now... I rewire the temperature sensor to two wires, GND pin and VDD pin
> shorted to GND and the data pin with a 4.7k pullup to +3.3V.

Reduce the pullup to 1k at 3.3V please. Having a pullup of 4.7k at 3.3V means your devices can draw at most 3.3V/4.7k == 0.7mA.

The chip needs about 1mA during conversion.

Having the pullup value also enhances bus performance, as it allows a bigger capacitive load (long, bad cables). So, always choose the pullup as small as possible. 1k at 3.3V; 1.5k at 5V.

> So Passive mode,  /sys/bus/w1/DEVICE/temperature returns correct
> temperature, however owserver with owread return 85c, thus I would
> surmise that owserver is not handing passive devices correctly.

When you read from the sysfs node, the w1 temp class driver activates the strong pullup, overriding your "too weak" pullup. This is done automagically within microseconds. However, that function isn't exposed in the w1 kernel<->userspace interface.

Instead, usespace programs like owserver have to use another transaction for activating the strong pullup. Depending on process scheduling, this may be delayed a few milliseconds, and in the meantime, your DS18B20 runs low on power and power-cycles, which gives you the 85°C reading.

So, the solution is to choose a "weak pullup" of 1k instead of 4.7k.
That way the DS18B20 never runs out of power.

Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!

Re: Raspberry Pi Jessie owfs-3.1.p1 w1-driver = 85c

JohnneyBoy
OK, just had a read around the good old internet, and found other people with the same issue, down to power yet again..

So popped another 1k in parallel thus 500ohms and now it works :-), but not reliable :-( getting the odd 85

There is the issue is 500ohms too low for the bus etc...??

John

Am 29.04.2016 um 18:36 schrieb John Bass:

> Well I have found why it's happening. I conclude owfs is not handling
> passive devices correctly.

Dallas/Maxim calls them "parasite-powered", to use right terms.

> So.. NOT in passive mode, i.e. all three legs of the temperature
> sensor connected, and a 4.7k pull up on the data line, Both
> /sys/bus/w1/DEVICE/temperature returns correct temperature. The same
> is true for owserver, when owread is run the correct temperature is
> returned.

Nice.

Am 30.04.2016 um 10:35 schrieb John Bass:
> OK, just had a read around the good old internet, and found other
> people with the same issue, down to power yet again..
>
> So popped another 1k in parallel thus 500ohms and now it works :-),
> but not reliable :-( getting the odd 85
>
> There is the issue is 500ohms too low for the bus etc...??

The limit is in the current the slaves may sink (for communication).
Their output transistors are rated 4mA, and 500 Ohms gives you 7mA,
that's too much for a DS18B20 (and many others).

Go as low as 1k at 3.3V. That gives you enough current to power the
slaves, good rise times, and a safety margin for slave's sinking capability.

Am 30.04.2016 um 10:17 schrieb John Bass:

> So w1, file more = 22.3
>
> And
>
> Owread 127.688
>
> So it's improved from the 85, well hotter :-)

At least it is a readout. 85°C is almost everytime wrong, as it means
"power-cycled" when the temperature isn't 85°C.

Not sure about that temperature readout, though. The maximum valid value
should be 125°C so I guess it's all 0xff for some odd reason. Have to
check it with my own setup.

Am 30.04.2016 um 12:27 schrieb Jan Kandziora:

> Am 30.04.2016 um 10:17 schrieb John Bass:
>>
>> So w1, file more = 22.3
>>
>> And
>>
>> Owread 127.688
>>
>> So it's improved from the 85, well hotter :-)
>>
> At least it is a readout. 85°C is almost everytime wrong, as it means
> "power-cycled" when the temperature isn't 85°C.
>
> Not sure about that temperature readout, though. The maximum valid value
> should be 125°C so I guess it's all 0xff for some odd reason. Have to
> check it with my own setup.

John, I've duplicated your setup with a Pi, recent Raspbian,
owserver-3.1p1 and owshell-3.1p1 from testing, w1 on GPIO4 and a pullup
of 1.2k from DQ to 3.3V.

$ owread /uncached/10.AE9C54020800/temperature
        21.5

Touched the DS18B20 with my fingers, did

$ owread /uncached/10.AE9C54020800/temperature
        28.5

So, ... it works as expected for me. I can't reproduce your problem.

Re: Raspberry Pi Jessie owfs-3.1.p1 w1-driver = 85c

Colin Law
On 30 April 2016 at 09:35, John Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK, just had a read around the good old internet, and found other people with the same issue, down to power yet again..
>
> So popped another 1k in parallel thus 500ohms and now it works :-), but not reliable :-( getting the odd 85

How long is the cable to the sensor?

Colin

Re: Raspberry Pi Jessie owfs-3.1.p1 w1-driver = 85c

JohnneyBoy
Hello Colin,

About 6 inches!

I'm going to run a few more tests soon, as Jan does not seem to be able to reproduce the issue, there must be something wrong here.

I will test the sensor with all three wires connected to make sure it has not gone south.

John

On 1 May 2016 at 09:45, John Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Colin,
>
> About 6 inches!

It is probably not that the cable is too long then :)

Just to check, when using in parasitic mode VDD and GND should be
connected together on one wire, with DQ on the other.

Colin

> I'm going to run a few more tests soon, as Jan does not seem to be able to reproduce the issue, there must be something wrong here.
>
> I will test the sensor with all three wires connected to make sure it has not gone south.
>
> John

You got it, with a 1k resistor(which Jan recommended rather than a 4.7k) from VDD to DQ as the pull up..

I'm miffed as well...

John

On 1 May 2016 at 09:45, John Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Colin,
>
> About 6 inches!

It is probably not that the cable is too long then :)

Just to check, when using in parasitic mode VDD and GND should be connected together on one wire, with DQ on the other.

Colin

> I'm going to run a few more tests soon, as Jan does not seem to be able to reproduce the issue, there must be something wrong here.
>
> I will test the sensor with all three wires connected to make sure it has not gone south.
>
> John

OK.. put it back to a 3 wire connection, works fine... how very odd..

John

On 1 May 2016 at 12:35, John Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Colin,
>
> You got it, with a 1k resistor(which Jan recommended rather than a 4.7k) from VDD to DQ as the pull up..

Not from VDD, from 3v to DQ.

Colin

Am 01.05.2016 um 13:42 schrieb John Bass:
> OK.. put it back to a 3 wire connection, works fine... how very odd..

As noted, it should work flawlessly in parasite-power mode. That's a
function which is present for ten years. And it works with my Pi.

DO you have an oscillocope at hand?

Re: Raspberry Pi Jessie owfs-3.1.p1 w1-driver = 85c

JohnneyBoy
Sorry yes, 3v rail

On 1 May 2016 at 12:35, John Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Colin,
>
> You got it, with a 1k resistor(which Jan recommended rather than a 4.7k) from VDD to DQ as the pull up..

Not from VDD, from 3v to DQ.

Colin

> I'm miffed as well...
>
> John

That's going to be the next test... just need an hour... but it's sunny here in sussex, so in the garden I am :-)

Am 01.05.2016 um 14:58 schrieb Colin Law:
> On 1 May 2016 at 12:35, John Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Colin,
>>
>> You got it, with a 1k resistor(which Jan recommended rather than a 4.7k) from VDD to DQ as the pull up..
>
> Not from VDD, from 3v to DQ.

Ah, Colin, you are a genius. Yes, that would explain it, no power during
conversion. John, please use this circuit:

Raspi                   DS18B20
-----                   -------
                        _______
3.3V  -----.            |G   V|
           |            |N D D|  Front to enemy.
           \            |D Q D|
           /  1k        –––––--
           \             | | |
           |             | | |
GPIO4 -----+------\\-----)-´ |
                         |   |
GND   ------------\\-----+---´

Re: Raspberry Pi Jessie owfs-3.1.p1 w1-driver = 85c

JohnneyBoy
That is the cct I have been using :-(

Sent from my iPhone

On 1 May 2016, at 14:32, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 01.05.2016 um 14:58 schrieb Colin Law:
> On 1 May 2016 at 12:35, John Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Colin,
>>
>> You got it, with a 1k resistor(which Jan recommended rather than a 4.7k) from VDD to DQ as the pull up..
>
> Not from VDD, from 3v to DQ.

Ah, Colin, you are a genius. Yes, that would explain it, no power during
conversion. John, please use this circuit:

Raspi                   DS18B20
-----                   -------
                        _______
3.3V  -----.            |G   V|
           |            |N D D|  Front to enemy.
           \            |D Q D|
           /  1k        –––––--
           \             | | |
           |             | | |
GPIO4 -----+------\\-----)-´ |
                         |   |
GND   ------------\\-----+---´

Re: Raspberry Pi Jessie owfs-3.1.p1 w1-driver = 85c

JohnneyBoy
Hello Jan,

I have been running some more tests, again on Jessie, just updated it fully today, rpi-update and apt-get update/upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade

I put the scope on both, in parasitic and non-parasitic modes. Both look good, I have the images.

Again, a cat of '/sys/bus/w1/devices/10.XYZ/temperature' produces a valid temperature, 24c. However using owserver --w1 and owread produces 85c

John

Am 01.05.2016 um 14:58 schrieb Colin Law:
> On 1 May 2016 at 12:35, John Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Colin,
>>
>> You got it, with a 1k resistor(which Jan recommended rather than a 4.7k) from VDD to DQ as the pull up..
>
> Not from VDD, from 3v to DQ.

Ah, Colin, you are a genius. Yes, that would explain it, no power during conversion. John, please use this circuit:

Raspi                   DS18B20
-----                   -------
                        _______
3.3V  -----.            |G   V|