Re: Firmware for WRT54G

Paul Hilton
I've tried your release on a v3 WRT54G, it works really well.

I'd like to be able to build a new one based on the CVS version of OWFS
( Bug Fixes), and also customise which packages I include in the read
only file system ( Save memory, add my own ).

Are you planning to make your source tree available for this one?

Paul Hilton

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 01:24 +0200, Christian Magnusson wrote:

> I have uploaded the first version of the complete firmware for the
> WRT54G router. It contains:
>    ewrt-0.3 beta 2 rc1 (based on Linksys 3.01.03)
>    owfs
>    fuse
>    temploggerd
>    rrdtools
>    Support for /opt/rc.start script.
>
> Download the package "firmware 0.1" from:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=85502&package_id=143220
>
> I don't know any major problems with it, so I hope it works for some
> more brave people... :)
>
> Don't try to use it unless you know what you are doing!
>
> /Christian

Re: Firmware for WRT54G

Christian Magnusson

Hi Paul Hilton,

I will try to make a package of the source and upload it to the
project page. Currently I have experienced some memory leak with
the latest cvs-version on the WRT54G router, I haven't had time
to look very close into it yet. I know Paul made some changes
in the buffer-allocation in the embedded functions, and I haven't
tried to revert those changes yet. Only owserver seem to leek
memory...

It's impossible for me to upload the whole source tree, so I guess
you will need three packages in the end to compile it by yourself.

ewrt-0.3 cvs-version at current date

tar-package (which I will create)
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/owfs  (latest cvs-version + makefiles)
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/fuse
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/temploggerd
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/rrdtools

diff-file to patch some files in ewrt-0.3
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/Makefile
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/rc/init.c
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/rc/session.c

I will try to make this tar-file and diff tomorrow if I get some
spare time at work, but you have to remember that owserver might
leak some memory in the latest cvs-version as I said before.

/Christian

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 16:22, Paul Hilton wrote:

> I've tried your release on a v3 WRT54G, it works really well.
>
> I'd like to be able to build a new one based on the CVS version of OWFS
> ( Bug Fixes), and also customise which packages I include in the read
> only file system ( Save memory, add my own ).
>
> Are you planning to make your source tree available for this one?
>
> Paul Hilton
>
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 01:24 +0200, Christian Magnusson wrote:
> > I have uploaded the first version of the complete firmware for the
> > WRT54G router. It contains:
> >    ewrt-0.3 beta 2 rc1 (based on Linksys 3.01.03)
> >    owfs
> >    fuse
> >    temploggerd
> >    rrdtools
> >    Support for /opt/rc.start script.
> >
> > Download the package "firmware 0.1" from:
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=85502&package_id=143220
> >
> > I don't know any major problems with it, so I hope it works for some
> > more brave people... :)
> >
> > Don't try to use it unless you know what you are doing!
> >
> > /Christian

Re: Firmware for WRT54G

Paul Alfille
On Monday 06 June 2005 05:35 pm, Christian Magnusson wrote:

> Hi Paul Hilton,
>
> I will try to make a package of the source and upload it to the
> project page. Currently I have experienced some memory leak with
> the latest cvs-version on the WRT54G router, I haven't had time
> to look very close into it yet. I know Paul made some changes
> in the buffer-allocation in the embedded functions, and I haven't
> tried to revert those changes yet. Only owserver seem to leek
> memory...

Tell me about the memory leak. It's embarrassing.

RE: Firmware for WRT54G

Christian Magnusson

I have created the tar-files now, and it's available on the project-page.
http://www.sf.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=85502&package_id=143220

firmware-1.0  Is a new flash-image with the latest cvs-version of owfs
   and temploggerd.
firmware-1.0-src   Is the source and diffs which should be applied to
   the ewrt-0.3 source tree.

I have tried to run the latest owfs and owserver locally on the wrt54g
router, and right now it doesn't seem to leak any memory.
The leak I noticed before may only occur when owserver is used with remote
hosts or something similar. I'll tell you some more about this if I find
any bugs related to this.

/Christian

I will try to make a package of the source and upload it to the
project page. Currently I have experienced some memory leak with
the latest cvs-version on the WRT54G router, I haven't had time
to look very close into it yet. I know Paul made some changes
in the buffer-allocation in the embedded functions, and I haven't
tried to revert those changes yet. Only owserver seem to leek
memory...

It's impossible for me to upload the whole source tree, so I guess
you will need three packages in the end to compile it by yourself.

ewrt-0.3 cvs-version at current date

tar-package (which I will create)
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/owfs  (latest cvs-version + makefiles)
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/fuse
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/temploggerd
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/rrdtools

diff-file to patch some files in ewrt-0.3
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/Makefile
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/rc/init.c
   ewrt-0.3/src/router/rc/session.c

I will try to make this tar-file and diff tomorrow if I get some
spare time at work, but you have to remember that owserver might
leak some memory in the latest cvs-version as I said before.

/Christian

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 16:22, Paul Hilton wrote:

> I've tried your release on a v3 WRT54G, it works really well.
>
> I'd like to be able to build a new one based on the CVS version of OWFS
> ( Bug Fixes), and also customise which packages I include in the read
> only file system ( Save memory, add my own ).
>
> Are you planning to make your source tree available for this one?
>
> Paul Hilton
>
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 01:24 +0200, Christian Magnusson wrote:
> > I have uploaded the first version of the complete firmware for the
> > WRT54G router. It contains:
> >    ewrt-0.3 beta 2 rc1 (based on Linksys 3.01.03)
> >    owfs
> >    fuse
> >    temploggerd
> >    rrdtools
> >    Support for /opt/rc.start script.
> >
> > Download the package "firmware 0.1" from:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=85502&package_id=14322
0

> > I don't know any major problems with it, so I hope it works for some
> > more brave people... :)
> >
> > Don't try to use it unless you know what you are doing!
> >
> > /Christian

RE: Firmware for WRT54G

Paul Hilton
Thank you for the source, just what I was looking for.

My make fails on fuse looking for a <linux/version.h> file from
fuse_i.h, have I missed something?

The tail end of the make output follows.

There are a seven different version.h files in the tree,
but I'm fairly sure that none of them are right.

make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/router/fuse/util'
awk: cmd. line:1: fatal: cannot open file
`/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/linux/linux/include/linux/version.h' for
reading (No such file or directory)
awk: cmd. line:1: fatal: cannot open file
`/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/linux/linux/include/linux/version.h' for
reading (No such file or directory)
/bin/sh: line 0: [: -ge: unary operator expected
/bin/sh: line 0: [: -ge: unary operator expected
/bin/sh: line 0: [: -ge: unary operator expected
make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/router/fuse/kernel'
mipsel-uclibc-gcc -D__KERNEL__
-I/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/linux/linux/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-fomit-frame-pointer
-I/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/linux/linux/../../include
-I /home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/linux/linux/include/asm/gcc -G 0
-mno-abicalls -fno-pic -pipe -mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -Wa,--trap  -m4710a0kern
-nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DMODULE -mlong-calls -fno-common
-DFUSE_VERSION=\"2.1\" -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE
-DFUSE_USE_VERSION=22 -DUSE_UCLIBC -DUCLIBC_HAS_MMU -I../include
-DMAGIC_ROM_PTR   -c -o dev.o dev.c
In file included from dev.c:9:
fuse_i.h:11:27: linux/version.h: No such file or directory
fuse_i.h:13:40: missing binary operator before '('
fuse_i.h:17:41: missing binary operator before '('
In file included from fuse_i.h:34,
                 from dev.c:9:
/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/linux/linux/include/linux/module.h:298:27:
linux/version.h: No such file or directory
In file included from fuse_i.h:34,
                 from dev.c:9:
/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/linux/linux/include/linux/module.h:300:
parse error before "UTS_RELEASE"
make[3]: *** [dev.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/router/fuse/kernel'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/router/fuse'
make[1]: *** [fuse] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/router'
make: *** [all] Error 2

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 11:13 +0200, Christian Magnusson wrote:

> I have created the tar-files now, and it's available on the project-page.
> http://www.sf.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=85502&package_id=143220
>
> firmware-1.0  Is a new flash-image with the latest cvs-version of owfs
>    and temploggerd.
> firmware-1.0-src   Is the source and diffs which should be applied to
>    the ewrt-0.3 source tree.
>

> I have tried to run the latest owfs and owserver locally on the wrt54g
> router, and right now it doesn't seem to leak any memory.
> The leak I noticed before may only occur when owserver is used with remote
> hosts or something similar. I'll tell you some more about this if I find
> any bugs related to this.
>
> /Christian

RE: Firmware for WRT54G

Christian Magnusson

Awk doesn't seem to be installed on your computer.

Change the beginning of fuse/kernel/Makefile and hardcode the kernel
version number instead.
-------------
VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 20
VERSION_CODE = 132116

#VERSION := $(shell.....
#PATCHLEVEL := $(shell.....
#SUBLEVEL := $(shell.....
#VERSION_CODE := $(shell.....
-----------------

This should work for you...

Does anyone else have an idea how to extract the kernel-version to the
Makefile just to make it work for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels?

/Christian

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 19:46, Paul Hilton wrote:

> [...]
> make[1]: *** [fuse] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/router'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 11:13 +0200, Christian Magnusson wrote:
> >
> > I have created the tar-files now, and it's available on the project-page.
> > http://www.sf.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=85502&package_id=143220
> >
> > firmware-1.0  Is a new flash-image with the latest cvs-version of owfs
> >    and temploggerd.
> > firmware-1.0-src   Is the source and diffs which should be applied to
> >    the ewrt-0.3 source tree.
> >

> > I have tried to run the latest owfs and owserver locally on the wrt54g
> > router, and right now it doesn't seem to leak any memory.
> > The leak I noticed before may only occur when owserver is used with remote
> > hosts or something similar. I'll tell you some more about this if I find

RE: Firmware for WRT54G

Info-130
I believe that I have solved my own problem.

I found what I think was the appropriate version.h (the kernel version
file) in the tools directories, and put a link to that in the source
include directory.

.../ewrt-0.3/src/linux/linux/include/linux/version.h ->
/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-linux/mipsel-linux/include/linux/version.h

and that seemed to solve the problem, at least the make then finished
and made me an image file. I'll try it on the WRT54G later.

Is this the recommended method of including this file? There are lots of
other include files in the tools include directory.

BTW the instructions you wrote for the source were very clear and
helpful, thank you.

Paul Hilton

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 13:46 -0400, Paul Hilton wrote:

> [...]
> make[1]: *** [fuse] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/wrt/ewrt-0.3/src/router'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 11:13 +0200, Christian Magnusson wrote:
> >
> > I have created the tar-files now, and it's available on the project-page.
> > http://www.sf.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=85502&package_id=143220
> >
> > firmware-1.0  Is a new flash-image with the latest cvs-version of owfs
> >    and temploggerd.
> > firmware-1.0-src   Is the source and diffs which should be applied to
> >    the ewrt-0.3 source tree.
> >

> > I have tried to run the latest owfs and owserver locally on the wrt54g
> > router, and right now it doesn't seem to leak any memory.
> > The leak I noticed before may only occur when owserver is used with remote
> > hosts or something similar. I'll tell you some more about this if I find

RE: Firmware for WRT54G

Paul Hilton
Thanks for the info,
I think I do have awk (gawk),

~> awk -W version
GNU Awk 3.1.4
Copyright (C) 1989, 1991-2003 Free Software Foundation.

Maybe it isn't working as expected in this make tree for some reason.

I wrote another reply to my own message  saying what fix I did find
(a link to the version.h in the mipsel-linux tools tree)

This version.h contains

#define UTS_RELEASE "2.4.20"
#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132116
#define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))

which ties up with the info you suggested.

Paul Hilton

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 21:41 +0200, Christian Magnusson wrote:

> Awk doesn't seem to be installed on your computer.
>
> Change the beginning of fuse/kernel/Makefile and hardcode the kernel
> version number instead.
> -------------
> VERSION = 2
> PATCHLEVEL = 4
> SUBLEVEL = 20
> VERSION_CODE = 132116
>
> #VERSION := $(shell.....
> #PATCHLEVEL := $(shell.....
> #SUBLEVEL := $(shell.....
> #VERSION_CODE := $(shell.....
> -----------------
>
> This should work for you...
>

> Does anyone else have an idea how to extract the kernel-version to the
> Makefile just to make it work for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels?
>
> /Christian

RE: Firmware for WRT54G

Christian Magnusson

This is very strange... in my ewrt-0.3 build directory there
is a file called version.h... NOT a link to
/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-linux/.... directory.

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 126 Apr  8 00:39
/opt/wrt54g/ewrt-0.3/src/linux/linux/include/linux/version.h

I think I just checked out the whole source from ewrt's cvs
directory, so my question is where you found your version?

I'm a bit afraid that you might create a flash image without
a proper linux-kernel now.

/Christian

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 22:06, Paul Hilton wrote:

> Thanks for the info,
> I think I do have awk (gawk),
>
> ~> awk -W version
> GNU Awk 3.1.4
> Copyright (C) 1989, 1991-2003 Free Software Foundation.
>
> Maybe it isn't working as expected in this make tree for some reason.
>
> I wrote another reply to my own message  saying what fix I did find
> (a link to the version.h in the mipsel-linux tools tree)
>
> This version.h contains
>
> #define UTS_RELEASE "2.4.20"
> #define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132116
> #define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))
>
> which ties up with the info you suggested.
>
> Paul Hilton
>
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 21:41 +0200, Christian Magnusson wrote:
> > Awk doesn't seem to be installed on your computer.
> >
> > Change the beginning of fuse/kernel/Makefile and hardcode the kernel
> > version number instead.
> > -------------
> > VERSION = 2
> > PATCHLEVEL = 4
> > SUBLEVEL = 20
> > VERSION_CODE = 132116
> >
> > #VERSION := $(shell.....
> > #PATCHLEVEL := $(shell.....
> > #SUBLEVEL := $(shell.....
> > #VERSION_CODE := $(shell.....
> > -----------------
> >
> > This should work for you...
> >

> > Does anyone else have an idea how to extract the kernel-version to the
> > Makefile just to make it work for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels?
> >
> > /Christian

RE: Firmware for WRT54G

Christian Magnusson

BTW: I just checked out a new version of ewrt, and version.h is created
when you start make in the directory ewrt-0.3/src. (Compilation of the
kernel is made first of all during config/depend it's created)

I'm sure you are in trouble if version.h doesn't exist in your ewrt
directory after running make. I wouldn't try that kernel on my router
at least.

Remember that you can't do 'make clean' from ewrt-0.3/src/ since it
will remove some object files (without source), such as ezc.o in
ewrt-0.3/src/router/shared/ or something like that. If you have a copy
of the deleted object-files, it's just to copy them back after
"make clean" though...

/Christian

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 05:03 +0200, Christian Magnusson wrote:

> This is very strange... in my ewrt-0.3 build directory there
> is a file called version.h... NOT a link to
> /opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-linux/.... directory.
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 126 Apr  8 00:39
> /opt/wrt54g/ewrt-0.3/src/linux/linux/include/linux/version.h
>
> I think I just checked out the whole source from ewrt's cvs
> directory, so my question is where you found your version?
>
> I'm a bit afraid that you might create a flash image without
> a proper linux-kernel now.
>
> /Christian
>

> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 22:06, Paul Hilton wrote:
> > Thanks for the info,
> > I think I do have awk (gawk),
> >
> > ~> awk -W version
> > GNU Awk 3.1.4
> > Copyright (C) 1989, 1991-2003 Free Software Foundation.
> >
> > Maybe it isn't working as expected in this make tree for some reason.
> >
> > I wrote another reply to my own message  saying what fix I did find
> > (a link to the version.h in the mipsel-linux tools tree)
> >
> > This version.h contains
> >
> > #define UTS_RELEASE "2.4.20"
> > #define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132116
> > #define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))
> >
> > which ties up with the info you suggested.
> >
> > Paul Hilton
> >
> > On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 21:41 +0200, Christian Magnusson wrote:
> > > Awk doesn't seem to be installed on your computer.
> > >
> > > Change the beginning of fuse/kernel/Makefile and hardcode the kernel
> > > version number instead.
> > > -------------
> > > VERSION = 2
> > > PATCHLEVEL = 4
> > > SUBLEVEL = 20
> > > VERSION_CODE = 132116
> > >
> > > #VERSION := $(shell.....
> > > #PATCHLEVEL := $(shell.....
> > > #SUBLEVEL := $(shell.....
> > > #VERSION_CODE := $(shell.....
> > > -----------------
> > >
> > > This should work for you...
> > >

> > > Does anyone else have an idea how to extract the kernel-version to the
> > > Makefile just to make it work for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels?
> > >
> > > /Christian

Christian Magnusson <[hidden email]>

RE: Firmware for WRT54G

Paul Hilton
Well, I checked out the plain ewrt version too, it compiles fine, and
version.h is indeed made during the make.

What seems to happen with the patched version is that it requires
version.h while it is building fuse, which seems to be before it has
been written (maybe because fuse comes before linux alphabetically?).

My link fulfils the requirement for the file to exist, and then gets
overwritten by the proper file later. This is obviously a very doubtful
way of working, as they may well not match.

Should I build ewrt, then patch it and then rebuild?

BTW: Thanks for the explanation of why make clean is so problematic.
Also I am pretty sure that my awk is working fine, the awk error was
because the file didn't exist.

Paul Hilton