Rookie Mistake

Peter Hollenbeck
I bought 4 DS2483R ICs from DigiKey, two bucks each.
I thought I was getting something I could work with. Hah!

If anyone in Canada can use them I will mail them gratis.
In mid July I can mail them to anyone in the U.S.

Peter

Re: Rookie Mistake

CReese
Yeah you need to have a breakout and solder skills. I was going to mention this but you'd already ordered them.

> On Jun 18, 2016, at 7:19 PM, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I bought 4 DS2483R ICs from DigiKey, two bucks each.
> I thought I was getting something I could work with. Hah!
>
> If anyone in Canada can use them I will mail them gratis.
> In mid July I can mail them to anyone in the U.S.
>
> Peter

Re: Rookie Mistake

Peter Hollenbeck
I am okay with 1/2" copper but these are a bit small.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Colin Reese <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah you need to have a breakout and solder skills. I was going to mention this but you'd already ordered them.

> On Jun 18, 2016, at 7:19 PM, Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I bought 4 DS2483R ICs from DigiKey, two bucks each.
> I thought I was getting something I could work with. Hah!
>
> If anyone in Canada can use them I will mail them gratis.
> In mid July I can mail them to anyone in the U.S.
>
> Peter

Re: Rookie Mistake

Jan Kandziora
Am 19.06.2016 um 05:52 schrieb Peter Hollenbeck:
> I bought 4 DS2483R ICs from DigiKey, two bucks each. I thought I
> was getting something I could work with. Hah!
>
> I am okay with 1/2" copper but these are a bit small.

Ah, they are SOT23, that's HUGE! The TDFN package is what gives you a
headache.

Glue the chip to a no-copper PCB board with a tiny piece of bubblegum,
then heat up one of the middle pins with your soldering iron. Take it
away, then put a bit of solder to it.

Next step, heat up a wire end by pressing it to the board with your
soldering iron, then push it a millimeter into the solder ball at the
pin. Continue with the middle pin on the other side of the chip, then
with the corner pins.

Test it. When it works, put a dot of hot glue on the whole thing to fix
it mechanically.

Re: Rookie Mistake

Daniel MacKay

On 2016-06-18, at 23:19 , Peter Hollenbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I bought 4 DS2483R ICs from DigiKey, two bucks each.

I did the same thing with   I *think* if you had an fine tip soldering iron, you could solder wire-wrap wire to these

It would be nice if they were available in this format:

-dan

Re: Rookie Mistake

Peter Hollenbeck
My iron is more appropriate for copper gutters. Anyway, even if I had a proper one I wouldn't try it.
The board in your link DS2413 is more my speed.
Peter

Re: Rookie Mistake

Peter Hollenbeck
Good tutorial on how to solder SOT23. If I had a decent iron I might try it. For now this project is on hold.
Thanks,
Peter