Testing code

Mick Sulley
I am trying to test out some code using the tester facility in owfs.conf

If I add

tester=10.053C8A010800

I can see that fake device.  Looking at the documentation there is a way
to tell it what value e.g. temperature you would like it to read, from
the documentation (which seems rather confusing) it is

tester=10.053C8A010800 -p 4444

I have tried a few values at the end and they don't make any difference.

I also found some old mails suggesting maybe 'mock' instead of 'tester'
and also adding --templow and --temphigh but these don't seem to work
either.

How can I set the value I would like to see?

Thanks

Mick

Re: Testing code

Mick Sulley
OK more research and I have made a bit of progress.

adding

server: fake=10.053C8A010800,10.2AFE89010800,10.90F889010800

to owfs.conf creates these devices with random values, different at each
read.  They can be split over different lines e.g.

server: fake=10.053C8A010800
fake=10.2AFE89010800,10.90F889010800

Also you can limit the values -

server: fake=10.053C8A010800
fake=10.2AFE89010800,10.90F889010800
--temperature_low=20.1
--temperature_high=22.1

limits the values of all 3 sensors to between 20.1 and 22.1, however

server: fake=10.053C8A010800
--temperature_low=10.1
--temperature_high=12.1
fake=10.2AFE89010800,10.90F889010800
--temperature_low=20.1
--temperature_high=22.1

limits all 3 sensors to between 20.1 and 22.1, it seems that only the
last restrictions are used for all devices.  The limits must be on
separate lines, so

server: fake=10.053C8A010800 --temperature_low=10.1 --temperature_high=12.1

does not restrict the temperature at all.

Using 'tester' in place of 'fake' creates the device with a consistent
value, but there does not seem to be any way to control what that value
is, --temperature_low=20.1, --temperature_high=22.1 has no effect.  The
values seem to be different for each device, but all are many hundreds
or thousands of degrees.

Is there any way to set individual temperatures for fake devices?

Thanks
Mick

On 04/12/16 23:34, Mick Sulley wrote:

> I am trying to test out some code using the tester facility in owfs.conf
>
> If I add
>
> tester=10.053C8A010800
>
> I can see that fake device.  Looking at the documentation there is a way
> to tell it what value e.g. temperature you would like it to read, from
> the documentation (which seems rather confusing) it is
>
> tester=10.053C8A010800 -p 4444
>
> I have tried a few values at the end and they don't make any difference.
>
> I also found some old mails suggesting maybe 'mock' instead of 'tester'
> and also adding --templow and --temphigh but these don't seem to work
> either.
>
> How can I set the value I would like to see?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mick

Re: Testing code

Jan Kandziora
Am 05.12.2016 um 16:39 schrieb Mick Sulley:

> OK more research and I have made a bit of progress.
>
> adding
>
> server: fake=10.053C8A010800,10.2AFE89010800,10.90F889010800
>
> to owfs.conf creates these devices with random values, different at each
> read.  They can be split over different lines e.g.
>
> server: fake=10.053C8A010800
> fake=10.2AFE89010800,10.90F889010800

fake= is a hostadapter option. What you defined here is

* a fake hostadapter with a connected 10.053C8A010800 which can only be
seen by owserver.

* another fake hostadapter with a connected 10.2AFE89010800 and
10.90F889010800 which can be seen by all programs using owlib directly
(and having -c /etc/owfs.conf on their command line).

> Also you can limit the values -
>
> --temperature_low=20.1
> --temperature_high=22.1

Again, these are options used by all programs using owlib directly and
having -c /etc/owfs.conf on their command line.

> Is there any way to set individual temperatures for fake devices?

No. All fake devices share the same static data and do not have
individual properties.

> Using 'tester' in place of 'fake' creates the device with a consistent
> value, but there does not seem to be any way to control what that value
> is, --temperature_low=20.1, --temperature_high=22.1 has no effect.  The
> values seem to be different for each device, but all are many hundreds
> or thousands of degrees.

IIRC tester is different from fake only in how the cache is handled.
Maybe someone else has more insight.

Re: Testing code

Mick Sulley
Thanks Jan.  Do you know if there is any way to limit values for IO
modules?  I have tested with DS2413, fake gives random values, tester
gives consistent values, but accessing via the owhttpd page any change I
make is immediately over-written for both configs.

Mick

On 06/12/16 00:01, Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Am 05.12.2016 um 16:39 schrieb Mick Sulley:
>> OK more research and I have made a bit of progress.
>>
>> adding
>>
>> server: fake=10.053C8A010800,10.2AFE89010800,10.90F889010800
>>
>> to owfs.conf creates these devices with random values, different at each
>> read.  They can be split over different lines e.g.
>>
>> server: fake=10.053C8A010800
>> fake=10.2AFE89010800,10.90F889010800
>>
> fake= is a hostadapter option. What you defined here is
>
> * a fake hostadapter with a connected 10.053C8A010800 which can only be
> seen by owserver.
>
> * another fake hostadapter with a connected 10.2AFE89010800 and
> 10.90F889010800 which can be seen by all programs using owlib directly
> (and having -c /etc/owfs.conf on their command line).
>

>> Also you can limit the values -
>>
>> --temperature_low=20.1
>> --temperature_high=22.1
>>
> Again, these are options used by all programs using owlib directly and
> having -c /etc/owfs.conf on their command line.
>

>> Is there any way to set individual temperatures for fake devices?
>>
> No. All fake devices share the same static data and do not have
> individual properties.
>

>> Using 'tester' in place of 'fake' creates the device with a consistent
>> value, but there does not seem to be any way to control what that value
>> is, --temperature_low=20.1, --temperature_high=22.1 has no effect.  The
>> values seem to be different for each device, but all are many hundreds
>> or thousands of degrees.
>>
> IIRC tester is different from fake only in how the cache is handled.
> Maybe someone else has more insight.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Jan

SS-WALL-TH

Nigel Titley
Has anyone looked at writing code for the SS-WALL-TH from iButtonlink.
It's a temp/humidity sensor intended to be embedded into
drywall/plasterboard and it uses IBL's smart-slave technology. I'm
guessing that it wouldn't be too difficult to do but if anyone has
looked at it or made a start then I don't want to duplicate effort. If
no one has then a pointer or two of what parts of the code need
modifying would be a good starter. I'm a reasonably competent C coder.

Alternatively I'll donate a sensor to anyone who wants to do this.

Thanks

Nigel

Re: SS-WALL-TH

Nigel Titley
OK, sounds as though no one has. I'll look at doing it myself.

Thanks

Nigel

On 06/12/16 18:36, Nigel Titley wrote:

> Has anyone looked at writing code for the SS-WALL-TH from iButtonlink.
> It's a temp/humidity sensor intended to be embedded into
> drywall/plasterboard and it uses IBL's smart-slave technology. I'm
> guessing that it wouldn't be too difficult to do but if anyone has
> looked at it or made a start then I don't want to duplicate effort. If
> no one has then a pointer or two of what parts of the code need
> modifying would be a good starter. I'm a reasonably competent C coder.
>
> Alternatively I'll donate a sensor to anyone who wants to do this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nigel

Re: SS-WALL-TH

Nigel Titley

Colin,

OK thanks. I'll let you know when I have something worth testing.

All the best

Nigel

On 09/12/16 17:50, Colin Reese wrote:
[...]

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: SS-WALL-TH

Nigel Titley

Thanks to the good offices of Jan the SS-WALL-TH is now integrated into OWFS. If you have one of these then please be aware that older releases of the firmware have a bug that causes the humidity value to be reported as a negative value now and again (conditions under which this happens are somewhat vague). If you've seen this effect and you are in Europe then let us (Homechip) know, even if you didn't buy your device from us, and we will arrange for a replacement.

The other thing we have noticed during testing is that activating the LED causes a substantial (>5C) temperature rise. iButtonlink tell us that the LED should not be left on in normal operation. It is there to enable location of the device after installation. Once located, turn it off.

One final note, the wiring colour is black - GND, red - 5V, blue - OW data. This isn't currently in the manual (which is being revised as we speak).

All the best

Nigel

On 09/12/16 17:54, Nigel Titley wrote:

[...]

Homechip Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1908 410175

Re: SS-WALL-TH

Nigel Titley

On 18/07/17 11:28, Nigel Titley wrote:

> Thanks to the good offices of Jan the SS-WALL-TH is now integrated
> into OWFS. If you have one of these then please be aware that older
> releases of the firmware have a bug that causes the humidity value to
> be reported as a negative value now and again (conditions under which
> this happens are somewhat vague). If you've seen this effect and you
> are in Europe then let us (Homechip) know, even if you didn't buy your
> device from us, and we will arrange for a replacement.
>
> The other thing we have noticed during testing is that activating the
> LED causes a substantial (>5C) temperature rise. iButtonlink tell us
> that the LED should not be left on in normal operation. It is there to
> enable location of the device after installation. Once located, turn
> it off.
>
> One final note, the wiring colour is black - GND, red - 5V, blue - OW
> data. This isn't currently in the manual (which is being revised as we
> speak).

I've added firmware version reporting to the SS-WALL-TH code so you can
see if you have obsolete firmware. Firmware prior to 1.4 is suspect and
will be updated by IBL on request.

Nigel

--
Homechip Ltd