Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Chris Lautre
Hi

A while ago I saw some discussion about a Vibration sensor.
I have found an adjustable one that works great: http://www.assemtech.co.uk/
There are 2 models NPN(PDS1000-1) and PNP(PDS1000-2) output.
They are about 40 GBP.

I have the circuit below working fine.
The DS2406 reads the Relay open/close.
I know there must be a way of reading the output without using the relay.
(My circuit design knowledge is a bit limited to say the least)
Can anyone suggest a suitable circuit?

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Patryk-6
Dnia 11.03.2012 o 14:47 Chris Lautre <[hidden email]> Chris
Lautre <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> Hi
>
> A while ago I saw some discussion about a Vibration sensor.
> I have found an adjustable one that works great:
> http://www.assemtech.co.uk/
> There are 2 models NPN(PDS1000-1) and PNP(PDS1000-2) output.
> They are about 40 GBP.
>
> I have the circuit below working fine.
> The DS2406 reads the Relay open/close.
> I know there must be a way of reading the output without using the relay.
> (My circuit design knowledge is a bit limited to say the least)
> Can anyone suggest a suitable circuit?

I'm not an expert myself. I would use a optoisolator. Those are cheap and
draw less power than a relay.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator

Here's one 4N33 it about $1 and you will need some resistors
http://www.me.umn.edu/courses/me2011/arduino/technotes/4N33.pdf

Look at the page 4 on the left there is example of a circuit.
However the one thing I'm not sure if this particular one(4N33) would run
5V on the detector side. If you have some local electronics shop I think
they will give you one suitable for 5V.

Or maybe the 6N138 can be supplied with 5V on detector side.

I never used those but once built one optoisolator from a diode and
phototransistor an put them in a black shrinktube. If your local shop does
not have optoisolaotrs(optocouplers) the will certainly have a
phototransisotr(which looks like a LED)

--
p4trykx

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Roberto Spadim
you could use a opamp like a buffer or schimitt triger (first is
analog, the second is 'digital')

first check what´s the max/min voltage and select a right buffer opamp
(it´s not isolate like double coil transformers, or optocouplers)
if you want isolation, use a optocoupler or a isolated transformers
(double coil transformers normally)
if you want less voltage you can use zener diodes to cut max voltage
(check what´s the current you will use)

check that relay is not only a on/off circuit, it have a time to turn
on, and a time to turn off, it´s like a big digital output lowpass
filter
if your circuit is very fast maybe you will need a rc filter (low pass filter)
opamp with buffer configuration is usual in analog signals, schmitt
triger are usual in digital signals, there´s cmos/ttl buffers that
make the same job like schimitt triger but with diferent voltage
levels
check:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmitt_trigger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_amplifier

here have many usual components to eletronic with boards and devices included:
http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/208/mikrobuffer-board/
http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/209/mikrobuffer-proto-board/
http://www.mikroe.com/eng/categories/view/41/various-boards/

Em 11 de março de 2012 11:45, Patryk <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Dnia 11.03.2012 o 14:47 Chris Lautre <[hidden email]> Chris
> Lautre <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
>
>> Hi
>>
>> A while ago I saw some discussion about a Vibration sensor.
>> I have found an adjustable one that works great:
>> http://www.assemtech.co.uk/
>> There are 2 models NPN(PDS1000-1) and PNP(PDS1000-2) output.
>> They are about 40 GBP.
>>
>> I have the circuit below working fine.
>> The DS2406 reads the Relay open/close.
>> I know there must be a way of reading the output without using the relay.
>> (My circuit design knowledge is a bit limited to say the least)
>> Can anyone suggest a suitable circuit?
>
> I'm not an expert myself. I would use a optoisolator. Those are cheap and
> draw less power than a relay.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator
>
> Here's one 4N33 it about $1 and you will need some resistors
> http://www.me.umn.edu/courses/me2011/arduino/technotes/4N33.pdf
>
> Look at the page 4 on the left there is example of a circuit.
> However the one thing I'm not sure if this particular one(4N33) would run
> 5V on the detector side. If you have some local electronics shop I think
> they will give you one suitable for 5V.
>
> Or maybe the 6N138 can be supplied with 5V on detector side.
>
> I never used those but once built one optoisolator from a diode and
> phototransistor an put them in a black shrinktube. If your local shop does
> not have optoisolaotrs(optocouplers) the will certainly have a
> phototransisotr(which looks like a LED)
>

> --
> p4trykx

Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Roberto Spadim
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/philips/74LVC14APWDH.pdf
Hex inverting Schmitt-trigger with 5V tolerant input

Em 11 de março de 2012 12:44, Roberto Spadim <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> [...]
>>> Can anyone suggest a suitable circuit?
>>
>> I'm not an expert myself. I would use a optoisolator. Those are cheap and
>> draw less power than a relay.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator
>>
>> Here's one 4N33 it about $1 and you will need some resistors
>> http://www.me.umn.edu/courses/me2011/arduino/technotes/4N33.pdf
>>
>> Look at the page 4 on the left there is example of a circuit.
>> However the one thing I'm not sure if this particular one(4N33) would run
>> 5V on the detector side. If you have some local electronics shop I think
>> they will give you one suitable for 5V.
>>
>> Or maybe the 6N138 can be supplied with 5V on detector side.
>>
>> I never used those but once built one optoisolator from a diode and
>> phototransistor an put them in a black shrinktube. If your local shop does
>> not have optoisolaotrs(optocouplers) the will certainly have a

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NL17SZ17-D.PDF
well, i will stop sending email,
find at maxim, microchip, national, analog devices, and others and
search schimitt triger and buffers

Em 11 de março de 2012 12:47, Roberto Spadim <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/philips/74LVC14APWDH.pdf
> Hex inverting Schmitt-trigger with 5V tolerant input
>

> Em 11 de março de 2012 12:44, Roberto Spadim <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>> you could use a opamp like a buffer or schimitt triger (first is
>> analog, the second is 'digital')
>>
>> first check what´s the max/min voltage and select a right buffer opamp
>> (it´s not isolate like double coil transformers, or optocouplers)
>> if you want isolation, use a optocoupler or a isolated transformers
>> (double coil transformers normally)
>> if you want less voltage you can use zener diodes to cut max voltage
>> (check what´s the current you will use)
>>
>> check that relay is not only a on/off circuit, it have a time to turn
>> on, and a time to turn off, it´s like a big digital output lowpass
>> filter
>> if your circuit is very fast maybe you will need a rc filter (low pass filter)
>> opamp with buffer configuration is usual in analog signals, schmitt
>> triger are usual in digital signals, there´s cmos/ttl buffers that
>> make the same job like schimitt triger but with diferent voltage
>> levels
>> check:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmitt_trigger
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_amplifier
>>
>> here have many usual components to eletronic with boards and devices included:
>> http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/208/mikrobuffer-board/
>> http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/209/mikrobuffer-proto-board/
>> http://www.mikroe.com/eng/categories/view/41/various-boards/
>>
>> Em 11 de março de 2012 11:45, Patryk <[hidden email]> escreveu:

>>> I'm not an expert myself. I would use a optoisolator. Those are cheap and
>>> draw less power than a relay.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator
>>>
>>> Here's one 4N33 it about $1 and you will need some resistors
>>> http://www.me.umn.edu/courses/me2011/arduino/technotes/4N33.pdf
>>>
>>> Look at the page 4 on the left there is example of a circuit.
>>> However the one thing I'm not sure if this particular one(4N33) would run
>>> 5V on the detector side. If you have some local electronics shop I think
>>> they will give you one suitable for 5V.
>>>
>>> Or maybe the 6N138 can be supplied with 5V on detector side.
>>>
>>> I never used those but once built one optoisolator from a diode and
>>> phototransistor an put them in a black shrinktube. If your local shop does
>>> not have optoisolaotrs(optocouplers) the will certainly have a
>>> phototransisotr(which looks like a LED)
>>>

>>> --
>>> p4trykx

>> --
>> Roberto Spadim
>> Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial
>

> --
> Roberto Spadim
> Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial

--
Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Roberto Spadim
i checked the image now... if your output sensor is a pnp transistor
you could put it directly to ds2406 5v and some resistors to pull
up....
if it´s not in same power circuit than ds2406, you will need a
optocoupler, to don´t build a brick

Em 11 de março de 2012 12:48, Roberto Spadim <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NL17SZ17-D.PDF
> well, i will stop sending email,
> find at maxim, microchip, national, analog devices, and others and
> search schimitt triger and buffers
>

> Em 11 de março de 2012 12:47, Roberto Spadim <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>> http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/philips/74LVC14APWDH.pdf
>> Hex inverting Schmitt-trigger with 5V tolerant input
>>

>> Em 11 de março de 2012 12:44, Roberto Spadim <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>>> you could use a opamp like a buffer or schimitt triger (first is
>>> analog, the second is 'digital')
>>>
>>> first check what´s the max/min voltage and select a right buffer opamp
>>> (it´s not isolate like double coil transformers, or optocouplers)
>>> if you want isolation, use a optocoupler or a isolated transformers
>>> (double coil transformers normally)
>>> if you want less voltage you can use zener diodes to cut max voltage
>>> (check what´s the current you will use)
>>>
>>> check that relay is not only a on/off circuit, it have a time to turn
>>> on, and a time to turn off, it´s like a big digital output lowpass
>>> filter
>>> if your circuit is very fast maybe you will need a rc filter (low pass filter)
>>> opamp with buffer configuration is usual in analog signals, schmitt
>>> triger are usual in digital signals, there´s cmos/ttl buffers that
>>> make the same job like schimitt triger but with diferent voltage
>>> levels
>>> check:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmitt_trigger
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_amplifier
>>>
>>> here have many usual components to eletronic with boards and devices included:
>>> http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/208/mikrobuffer-board/
>>> http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/209/mikrobuffer-proto-board/
>>> http://www.mikroe.com/eng/categories/view/41/various-boards/

>>> --
>>> Roberto Spadim
>>> Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial
>>

>> --
>> Roberto Spadim
>> Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial
>

> --
> Roberto Spadim
> Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial

--
Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Eloy Paris
Hi Chris,

On 03/11/2012 09:47 AM, Chris Lautre wrote:

> Hi
>
> A while ago I saw some discussion about a Vibration sensor.
> I have found an adjustable one that works great: http://www.assemtech.co.uk/
> There are 2 models NPN(PDS1000-1) and PNP(PDS1000-2) output.
> They are about 40 GBP.
>
> I have the circuit below working fine.
> The DS2406 reads the Relay open/close.
> I know there must be a way of reading the output without using the relay.
> (My circuit design knowledge is a bit limited to say the least)
> Can anyone suggest a suitable circuit?

Why not connect the sensor's output directly to the DS2406 PIOA input?
Is the concern that the sensor's output is 0V or 12V and the DS2406 can
operate in the 0 to 5V range?

The DS2406 datasheet says that the PIOA pin can take up to 12 volts.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Chris Lautre
Hi

thanks for your suggestions.

I tried connecting the Sensor output directly to the DS2406 PIOA
1  A load resistor  from output to ground 470R
2  Pull up resistor 10K from PIOA to5V

The DS2406 did not pick up any changes in the sensor output.

This was my initial understanding - but I must have something wrong.

Chris

On 11/03/2012 21:42, Eloy Paris wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On 03/11/2012 09:47 AM, Chris Lautre wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> A while ago I saw some discussion about a Vibration sensor.
>> I have found an adjustable one that works great: http://www.assemtech.co.uk/
>> There are 2 models NPN(PDS1000-1) and PNP(PDS1000-2) output.
>> They are about 40 GBP.
>>
>> I have the circuit below working fine.
>> The DS2406 reads the Relay open/close.
>> I know there must be a way of reading the output without using the relay.
>> (My circuit design knowledge is a bit limited to say the least)
>> Can anyone suggest a suitable circuit?
> Why not connect the sensor's output directly to the DS2406 PIOA input?
> Is the concern that the sensor's output is 0V or 12V and the DS2406 can
> operate in the 0 to 5V range?
>
> The DS2406 datasheet says that the PIOA pin can take up to 12 volts.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Eloy Paris.-

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Chris Lautre
Hi

Will try the Opto Coupler - Looks like the best plan.

Chris

On 11/03/2012 21:42, Eloy Paris wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On 03/11/2012 09:47 AM, Chris Lautre wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> A while ago I saw some discussion about a Vibration sensor.
>> I have found an adjustable one that works great: http://www.assemtech.co.uk/
>> There are 2 models NPN(PDS1000-1) and PNP(PDS1000-2) output.
>> They are about 40 GBP.
>>
>> I have the circuit below working fine.
>> The DS2406 reads the Relay open/close.
>> I know there must be a way of reading the output without using the relay.
>> (My circuit design knowledge is a bit limited to say the least)
>> Can anyone suggest a suitable circuit?
> Why not connect the sensor's output directly to the DS2406 PIOA input?
> Is the concern that the sensor's output is 0V or 12V and the DS2406 can
> operate in the 0 to 5V range?
>
> The DS2406 datasheet says that the PIOA pin can take up to 12 volts.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Eloy Paris.-

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Patryk-6
Dnia 12.03.2012 o 12:23 Chris Lautre <[hidden email]> Chris
Lautre <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> Will try the Opto Coupler - Looks like the best plan.

What vibration are you measuring. Do they occur in short bursts or are
rather continuous.
If short burst consider using latch functionality. If there is a short
vibration between reading DS2406 You will catch it.

--
p4trykx

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Roberto Spadim
can you get voltages from input of ds2406 with a voltimeter?

Em 12 de março de 2012 08:53, Patryk <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Dnia 12.03.2012 o 12:23 Chris Lautre <[hidden email]> Chris
> Lautre <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
>
>> Will try the Opto Coupler - Looks like the best plan.
>
> What vibration are you measuring. Do they occur in short bursts or are
> rather continuous.
> If short burst consider using latch functionality. If there is a short
> vibration between reading DS2406 You will catch it.
>

> --
> p4trykx

Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

Chris Lautre
The vibration sensor is adjustable - so you can set it to give
continuous output
with very little movement.

Just waiting to receive the opto-couplers so will try it over the weekend.

Chris

On 12/03/2012 15:58, Roberto Spadim wrote:

> can you get voltages from input of ds2406 with a voltimeter?
>
> Em 12 de março de 2012 08:53, Patryk<[hidden email]>  escreveu:
>> Dnia 12.03.2012 o 12:23 Chris Lautre<[hidden email]>  Chris
>> Lautre<[hidden email]>  napisał(a):
>>
>>> Will try the Opto Coupler - Looks like the best plan.
>> What vibration are you measuring. Do they occur in short bursts or are
>> rather continuous.
>> If short burst consider using latch functionality. If there is a short
>> vibration between reading DS2406 You will catch it.
>>

>> --
>> p4trykx

Re: Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice

gilardh
hello,

Have you managed to get your Vibration Sensor Circuit Advice?
I have a somewhat similar project, but instead of a detector of vibration I will place a DC current sensor.

The establishment of an optocoupler worked?

Best regards

Gilardh