following up on my wiring idea post

jerry scharf
I had posted asking opinions on an idea I had for wiring sensors. The basic
idea is that you star wire the cat5e from sensors to block and tie a pair
together where it attaches to the signal line of the sensor. Then I create
the bus by cross connecting ins and out of the signal pairs on the blocks.
It trades more wire length compared to a daisy chain for easier
reconfiguration and testing.

My first test was 9 lengths of 40', which comes out to a bus length of
about 720' (out and back on each.) All the sensors worked perfectly. In a
couple weeks, I'll get a test that tries to run to the 400m that the
interface lists as the max and see how that works.

In production, what I plan to do is put some extra blocks in areas where I
have a cluster of sensors, just to keep the length down when it's easy.
It's kind of like an intermediate distribution frame in the telephone
lingo. The other nice thing is that if I ever run up against the wall of
what a single bus can do, I can put a hub at the blocks and cut them into
pieces with no pain.

So I think it's safe to add this as a wiring option for people in the
future.

jerry

Jerry Scharf
laguna way consulting

RE: following up on my wiring idea post

Alfille, Paul H.,M.D.
Very nice.

Would you like your findings put on the website?

--On 06/06/2005 02:54:01 PM -0400 Alfille, Paul H.,M.D. wrote:

> Very nice.
>
> Would you like your findings put on the website?

Paul,

Let's wait until the next round of tests are done. When that's done, I'd be
happy to have that available to others.

jerry

Jerry Scharf
laguna way consulting