owfs is DISABLED

12

owfs is DISABLED

Mick Sulley
Hi,

Just had a crash on my Raspi system and I am furiously trying to rebuild
it.  I have installed owfs-3.1p1 but when I run

sudo ./configure
it returns with

Module configuration:
                     owlib is enabled
                   owshell is enabled
                      owfs is DISABLED
                   owhttpd is enabled
                    owftpd is enabled
                  owserver is enabled
                owexternal is enabled
                     ownet is enabled
                  ownetlib is enabled
                     owtap is enabled
                     owmon is enabled
                    owcapi is enabled
                      swig is DISABLED
                    owperl is DISABLED
                     owphp is DISABLED
                  owpython is DISABLED
                     owtcl is DISABLED

I need owfs to be enabled, what have I done wrong????

Thanks

Mick

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Alex Shepherd-2
I think you need “fuse” development

Try apt-get install libfuse-dev

HTH

Alex

> On 24/07/2016, at 10:41 PM, Mick Sulley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Just had a crash on my Raspi system and I am furiously trying to rebuild
> it.  I have installed owfs-3.1p1 but when I run
>
> sudo ./configure
> it returns with
>
> Module configuration:
>                     owlib is enabled
>                   owshell is enabled
>                      owfs is DISABLED
>                   owhttpd is enabled
>                    owftpd is enabled
>                  owserver is enabled
>                owexternal is enabled
>                     ownet is enabled
>                  ownetlib is enabled
>                     owtap is enabled
>                     owmon is enabled
>                    owcapi is enabled
>                      swig is DISABLED
>                    owperl is DISABLED
>                     owphp is DISABLED
>                  owpython is DISABLED
>                     owtcl is DISABLED
>
> I need owfs to be enabled, what have I done wrong????
>
> Thanks
>
> Mick

Regards

Alex Shepherd

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Roland Franke
Hello,

> Just had a crash on my Raspi system and I am furiously trying to rebuild
> it.  I have installed owfs-3.1p1 but when I run

> sudo ./configure
> it returns with

> Module configuration:
>                      owfs is DISABLED

May it be that you have libfuse not installed on your system?

Best regards,
Roland

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Am 24.07.2016 um 12:41 schrieb Mick Sulley:
> Hi,
>
> Just had a crash on my Raspi system and I am furiously trying to rebuild
> it.  I have installed owfs-3.1p1 but when I run
>
> sudo ./configure

Ah no. Don't configure neither compile as root. Seriously.

> it returns with
>
> Module configuration:
>                      owlib is enabled
>                    owshell is enabled
>                       owfs is DISABLED
>                    owhttpd is enabled
>                     owftpd is enabled
>                   owserver is enabled
>                 owexternal is enabled
>                      ownet is enabled
>                   ownetlib is enabled
>                      owtap is enabled
>                      owmon is enabled
>                     owcapi is enabled
>                       swig is DISABLED
>                     owperl is DISABLED
>                      owphp is DISABLED
>                   owpython is DISABLED
>                      owtcl is DISABLED
>
> I need owfs to be enabled,

Really? Why? The owfs fuse binding has some serious limitations and
needs some unnecessary stuff (FUSE, mountpoint, rights) so be set up.

> what have I done wrong????

Chances are you don't have the fuse development packages installed.

But I recommend to skip the fuse binding (and owfs binary) completely
and fix your scripts to use the owshell programs instead.

e.g. instead of

cat /mnt/ow/10.6B1289000000/temperature

do

owread /10.6B1289000000/temperature

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Mick Sulley
Thanks Jan,

Added libfuse-dev and it is compiled now and the system is running
again.  I will now look at changing over to owshell. Thanks for the advise.

Mick

On 24/07/16 12:22, Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Am 24.07.2016 um 12:41 schrieb Mick Sulley:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just had a crash on my Raspi system and I am furiously trying to rebuild
>> it.  I have installed owfs-3.1p1 but when I run
>>
>> sudo ./configure
>>
> Ah no. Don't configure neither compile as root. Seriously.
>

>> it returns with
>>
>> Module configuration:
>>                       owlib is enabled
>>                     owshell is enabled
>>                        owfs is DISABLED
>>                     owhttpd is enabled
>>                      owftpd is enabled
>>                    owserver is enabled
>>                  owexternal is enabled
>>                       ownet is enabled
>>                    ownetlib is enabled
>>                       owtap is enabled
>>                       owmon is enabled
>>                      owcapi is enabled
>>                        swig is DISABLED
>>                      owperl is DISABLED
>>                       owphp is DISABLED
>>                    owpython is DISABLED
>>                       owtcl is DISABLED
>>
>> I need owfs to be enabled,
>>
> Really? Why? The owfs fuse binding has some serious limitations and
> needs some unnecessary stuff (FUSE, mountpoint, rights) so be set up.
>

>> what have I done wrong????
>>
> Chances are you don't have the fuse development packages installed.
>

> But I recommend to skip the fuse binding (and owfs binary) completely
> and fix your scripts to use the owshell programs instead.
>
> e.g. instead of
>
> cat /mnt/ow/10.6B1289000000/temperature
>
> do
>
> owread /10.6B1289000000/temperature
>

> Kind regards
>
> Jan

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Mick Sulley
Hi Jan,

Thank you for your help yesterday, my system is up and running again!

I am just building a test system to try out owshell and also installing
without sudo.

With  owfs-3.1p1 when I try ./configure I get
./configure: line 2256: config.log: Permission denied
./configure: line 2266: config.log: Permission denied

Which I think is why I started to install with sudo.  I have looked at
those lines in configure but can't see anything obvious, do I need to
change permissions somewhere?

Thanks
Mick

On 24/07/16 12:22, Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Am 24.07.2016 um 12:41 schrieb Mick Sulley:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just had a crash on my Raspi system and I am furiously trying to rebuild
>> it.  I have installed owfs-3.1p1 but when I run
>>
>> sudo ./configure
>>
> Ah no. Don't configure neither compile as root. Seriously.
>

>> it returns with
>>
>> Module configuration:
>>                       owlib is enabled
>>                     owshell is enabled
>>                        owfs is DISABLED
>>                     owhttpd is enabled
>>                      owftpd is enabled
>>                    owserver is enabled
>>                  owexternal is enabled
>>                       ownet is enabled
>>                    ownetlib is enabled
>>                       owtap is enabled
>>                       owmon is enabled
>>                      owcapi is enabled
>>                        swig is DISABLED
>>                      owperl is DISABLED
>>                       owphp is DISABLED
>>                    owpython is DISABLED
>>                       owtcl is DISABLED
>>
>> I need owfs to be enabled,
>>
> Really? Why? The owfs fuse binding has some serious limitations and
> needs some unnecessary stuff (FUSE, mountpoint, rights) so be set up.
>

>> what have I done wrong????
>>
> Chances are you don't have the fuse development packages installed.
>

> But I recommend to skip the fuse binding (and owfs binary) completely
> and fix your scripts to use the owshell programs instead.
>
> e.g. instead of
>
> cat /mnt/ow/10.6B1289000000/temperature
>
> do
>
> owread /10.6B1289000000/temperature
>

> Kind regards
>
> Jan

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Roland Franke
Hello,

> I am just building a test system to try out owshell and also installing
> without sudo.

> With  owfs-3.1p1 when I try ./configure I get
> ./configure: line 2256: config.log: Permission denied
> ./configure: line 2266: config.log: Permission denied

here will be the config.log written in the actually directory.
When you (User) not be the owner of that directory, this
fault appears.

Best regards,
Roland

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Mick Sulley
OK, so do I need to change a permission or do I need to run as sudo?

On 25/07/16 18:49, Roland Franke wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> I am just building a test system to try out owshell and also installing
>> without sudo.
>> With  owfs-3.1p1 when I try ./configure I get
>> ./configure: line 2256: config.log: Permission denied
>> ./configure: line 2266: config.log: Permission denied
> here will be the config.log written in the actually directory.
> When you (User) not be the owner of that directory, this
> fault appears.
>
> Best regards,
> Roland

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Martin Patzak (GMX)

you just need to add write permission for your user or group to that directory to have the log written successfully,

and NO, NEVER build as superuser, like Jan already emphasized!

Am 25.07.2016 um 19:28 schrieb Mick Sulley:

> Hi Jan,
>
> Thank you for your help yesterday, my system is up and running again!
>
> I am just building a test system to try out owshell and also installing
> without sudo.
>
> With  owfs-3.1p1 when I try ./configure I get
> ./configure: line 2256: config.log: Permission denied
> ./configure: line 2266: config.log: Permission denied

That's because you ran the ./configure as root once. These files had
been created by ./configure as root, so only root can write them on a retry.

> Which I think is why I started to install with sudo.  I have looked at
> those lines in configure but can't see anything obvious, do I need to
> change permissions somewhere?

$ sudo chown -R mick:users .

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Mick Sulley
I am sure my problems here are due to my lack of understanding of the
whole build process.

This is a clean install of a RasPi, so no sudo config has occurred.  My
normal method of install was -

download the file from SourceForge to my desktop.

Copy it to the RasPi and move it to /usr/local/src/

sudo tar zxpf owfs-version

cd owfs-version

sudo ./configure

sudo make

sudo make install

My user on the Pi is 'control'.

I have added control to the staff group, which is the group for all the
/usr/local/ directories and can now configure and make, however I still
get an error with make install as I do not have permission for the /opt/
directory, which has owner and group = root.

Is there a way around this or do I still have to sudo make install?

On 25/07/16 19:17, Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Am 25.07.2016 um 19:28 schrieb Mick Sulley:
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> Thank you for your help yesterday, my system is up and running again!
>>
>> I am just building a test system to try out owshell and also installing
>> without sudo.
>>
>> With  owfs-3.1p1 when I try ./configure I get
>> ./configure: line 2256: config.log: Permission denied
>> ./configure: line 2266: config.log: Permission denied
>>
> That's because you ran the ./configure as root once. These files had
> been created by ./configure as root, so only root can write them on a retry.
>

>> Which I think is why I started to install with sudo.  I have looked at
>> those lines in configure but can't see anything obvious, do I need to
>> change permissions somewhere?
>>
> $ sudo chown -R mick:users .
>
> Kind regards
>
> Jan

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Don Veino
You can configure and make from any directory. Just use a subdirectory (for clean up later) under your home directory on the pi to copy over the files to. It will place the compiled binaries where they need to go through the process.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Mick Sulley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am sure my problems here are due to my lack of understanding of the
whole build process.

This is a clean install of a RasPi, so no sudo config has occurred.  My
normal method of install was -

download the file from SourceForge to my desktop.

Copy it to the RasPi and move it to /usr/local/src/

sudo tar zxpf owfs-version

cd owfs-version

sudo ./configure

sudo make

sudo make install

My user on the Pi is 'control'.

I have added control to the staff group, which is the group for all the
/usr/local/ directories and can now configure and make, however I still
get an error with make install as I do not have permission for the /opt/
directory, which has owner and group = root.

Is there a way around this or do I still have to sudo make install?

On 25/07/16 19:17, Jan Kandziora wrote:
> Am 25.07.2016 um 19:28 schrieb Mick Sulley:
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> Thank you for your help yesterday, my system is up and running again!
>>
>> I am just building a test system to try out owshell and also installing
>> without sudo.
>>
>> With  owfs-3.1p1 when I try ./configure I get
>> ./configure: line 2256: config.log: Permission denied
>> ./configure: line 2266: config.log: Permission denied
>>
> That's because you ran the ./configure as root once. These files had
> been created by ./configure as root, so only root can write them on a retry.
>

>> Which I think is why I started to install with sudo.  I have looked at
>> those lines in configure but can't see anything obvious, do I need to
>> change permissions somewhere?
>>
> $ sudo chown -R mick:users .
>
> Kind regards
>
>       Jan

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Am 25.07.2016 um 22:07 schrieb Mick Sulley:

> I am sure my problems here are due to my lack of understanding of the
> whole build process.
>
> This is a clean install of a RasPi, so no sudo config has occurred.  My
> normal method of install was -
>
> download the file from SourceForge to my desktop.
>
> Copy it to the RasPi and move it to /usr/local/src/

Ah, you can put it anywhere your normal user has access.
It's home directory for example.

> sudo tar zxpf owfs-version

No. This way you untar as root and the resulting files belong to
root, as they have been tared as fake "root".

> cd owfs-version
>
> sudo ./configure
>
> sudo make
>
> sudo make install
>
> My user on the Pi is 'control'.

Then do all but make install without sudo inside /home/control/

> I have added control to the staff group, which is the group for all the
> /usr/local/ directories

This will work, too.

> and can now configure and make, however I still
> get an error with make install as I do not have permission for the /opt/
> directory, which has owner and group = root.
>
> Is there a way around this or do I still have to sudo make install?

No. Install has to be done as root, as it copies the files to their
target locations within the file system.

BY THE WAY, why are you compiling yourself? Raspbian packages
of owfs-3.1p1 are available.

Edit (or create) your /etc/apt/preferences to contain:
Package: *
Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 300
This is important so you keep stable (Jessie) for all packages but the ones
explicitly taken from testing (Stretch).

Then, add a line
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free rpi
to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get access to the Raspbian testing
repository.

Do an

$ sudo apt-get update

to read the package metadata, then check

$ sudo apt-cache policy

whether the testing repo is there with priority 300. Then

$ sudo apt-get update -t testing owserver ow-shell

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Mick Sulley
I have been compiling myself (and getting it wrong it seems!) for a long
time now because the version in the repositories is so old, or so I
thought.  Just followed you instructions and I have 3.1p1 installed -
easy!!  Now to start testing out ow-shell

Many thanks for your help once again.

Mick

On 25/07/16 22:02, Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Am 25.07.2016 um 22:07 schrieb Mick Sulley:
>> I am sure my problems here are due to my lack of understanding of the
>> whole build process.
>>
>> This is a clean install of a RasPi, so no sudo config has occurred.  My
>> normal method of install was -
>>
>> download the file from SourceForge to my desktop.
>>
>> Copy it to the RasPi and move it to /usr/local/src/
>>
> Ah, you can put it anywhere your normal user has access.
> It's home directory for example.
>

>> sudo tar zxpf owfs-version
>>
> No. This way you untar as root and the resulting files belong to
> root, as they have been tared as fake "root".
>

>> cd owfs-version
>>
>> sudo ./configure
>>
>> sudo make
>>
>> sudo make install
>>
>> My user on the Pi is 'control'.
>>
> Then do all but make install without sudo inside /home/control/
>

>> I have added control to the staff group, which is the group for all the
>> /usr/local/ directories
>>
> This will work, too.
>

>> and can now configure and make, however I still
>> get an error with make install as I do not have permission for the /opt/
>> directory, which has owner and group = root.
>>
>> Is there a way around this or do I still have to sudo make install?
>>
> No. Install has to be done as root, as it copies the files to their
> target locations within the file system.
>

> BY THE WAY, why are you compiling yourself? Raspbian packages
> of owfs-3.1p1 are available.
>
> Edit (or create) your /etc/apt/preferences to contain:
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 500
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 300
> This is important so you keep stable (Jessie) for all packages but the ones
> explicitly taken from testing (Stretch).
>

> Then, add a line
> deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free rpi
> to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get access to the Raspbian testing
> repository.
>
> Do an
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
>
> to read the package metadata, then check
>
> $ sudo apt-cache policy
>
> whether the testing repo is there with priority 300. Then
>
> $ sudo apt-get update -t testing owserver ow-shell
>

> Kind regards
>
> Jan

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Gregg Levine
Hello!
Mick no you are not.

The rules for building OWFS on a Debian based variety of Linux have
never really changed since before the release of the first Raspberry
Pi device.

However we need to change the rules appropriately for the Raspberry Pi.

And we need to get things updated on the website, as Slackware 10.2 is
quite old, I've gotten the proper releases to build on 11.0 and even
the 64 bit 14 series ones.
-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Mick Sulley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been compiling myself (and getting it wrong it seems!) for a long
> time now because the version in the repositories is so old, or so I
> thought.  Just followed you instructions and I have 3.1p1 installed -
> easy!!  Now to start testing out ow-shell
>
> Many thanks for your help once again.
>
> Mick
>
> On 25/07/16 22:02, Jan Kandziora wrote:
>> Am 25.07.2016 um 22:07 schrieb Mick Sulley:
>>> I am sure my problems here are due to my lack of understanding of the
>>> whole build process.
>>>
>>> This is a clean install of a RasPi, so no sudo config has occurred.  My
>>> normal method of install was -
>>>
>>> download the file from SourceForge to my desktop.
>>>
>>> Copy it to the RasPi and move it to /usr/local/src/
>>>
>> Ah, you can put it anywhere your normal user has access.
>> It's home directory for example.
>>

>>> sudo tar zxpf owfs-version
>>>
>> No. This way you untar as root and the resulting files belong to
>> root, as they have been tared as fake "root".
>>

>>> cd owfs-version
>>>
>>> sudo ./configure
>>>
>>> sudo make
>>>
>>> sudo make install
>>>
>>> My user on the Pi is 'control'.
>>>
>> Then do all but make install without sudo inside /home/control/
>>

>>> I have added control to the staff group, which is the group for all the
>>> /usr/local/ directories
>>>
>> This will work, too.
>>

>>> and can now configure and make, however I still
>>> get an error with make install as I do not have permission for the /opt/
>>> directory, which has owner and group = root.
>>>
>>> Is there a way around this or do I still have to sudo make install?
>>>
>> No. Install has to be done as root, as it copies the files to their
>> target locations within the file system.
>>

>> BY THE WAY, why are you compiling yourself? Raspbian packages
>> of owfs-3.1p1 are available.
>>
>> Edit (or create) your /etc/apt/preferences to contain:
>> Package: *
>> Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=stable
>> Pin-Priority: 500
>>
>> Package: *
>> Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=testing
>> Pin-Priority: 300
>> This is important so you keep stable (Jessie) for all packages but the ones
>> explicitly taken from testing (Stretch).
>>

>> Then, add a line
>> deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free rpi
>> to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get access to the Raspbian testing
>> repository.
>>
>> Do an
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get update
>>
>> to read the package metadata, then check
>>
>> $ sudo apt-cache policy
>>
>> whether the testing repo is there with priority 300. Then
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get update -t testing owserver ow-shell
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>>       Jan

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Martin Patzak (GMX)
who else thinks the following should find it's way onto the owfs web-site?

> BY THE WAY, why are you compiling yourself? Raspbian packages
> of owfs-3.1p1 are available.
>
> Edit (or create) your /etc/apt/preferences to contain:
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 500
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Raspbian,a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 300
> This is important so you keep stable (Jessie) for all packages but the ones
> explicitly taken from testing (Stretch).
>

> Then, add a line
> deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free rpi
> to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get access to the Raspbian testing
> repository.
>
> Do an
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
>
> to read the package metadata, then check
>
> $ sudo apt-cache policy
>
> whether the testing repo is there with priority 300. Then
>
> $ sudo apt-get update -t testing owserver ow-shell
>

> Kind regards
>
> Jan

Re: owfs is DISABLED

Andy Carter
On Tuesday 26 Jul 2016 08:36:24 Martin Patzak wrote:
> who else thinks the following should find it's way onto the owfs web-site?
>
> > BY THE WAY, why are you compiling yourself? Raspbian packages
> > of owfs-3.1p1 are available.

Yes please!

Not sure it would address some of the issues I had with a Louis Swart LCD and
perl modules that are now in git but much, much better than the current
raspbian/debian Stable version.

Andy

Re: Turning OWFS website into a Wiki. Was: owfs is DISABLED

Am 26.07.2016 um 08:36 schrieb Martin Patzak (GMX):
> who else thinks the following should find it's way onto the owfs web-site?

Guys, face it: Paul Alfille has GONE. I hope he's okay, doing family
business, something like that. But I'm afraid he will not come back and
tidy up things in any case.

We are a bit disorganised because of this at the moment.

If I had to decide, I would take all the content of the web site, throw
out all the out-of-date information and feed the rest into a Mediawiki,
where you and others can maintain it yourself. Then shutdown the old
website.

OWFS developers, OWFS users: should we do that?

Re: Turning OWFS website into a Wiki. Was: owfs is DISABLED

Martin Patzak (GMX)

> If I had to decide, I would take all the content of the web site, throw
> out all the out-of-date information and feed the rest into a Mediawiki,
> where you and others can maintain it yourself. Then shutdown the old
> website.
>

> OWFS developers, OWFS users: should we do that?

Your idea is as contemporary as it is communal, so I, as an OWFS user,
do think that this is an excellent suggestion!

Re: Turning OWFS website into a Wiki. Was: owfs is DISABLED

CReese
Yes. I have content to contribute.

> On Jul 26, 2016, at 1:18 AM, Jan Kandziora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 26.07.2016 um 08:36 schrieb Martin Patzak (GMX):
>> who else thinks the following should find it's way onto the owfs web-site?
> Guys, face it: Paul Alfille has GONE. I hope he's okay, doing family
> business, something like that. But I'm afraid he will not come back and
> tidy up things in any case.
>
> We are a bit disorganised because of this at the moment.
>

> If I had to decide, I would take all the content of the web site, throw
> out all the out-of-date information and feed the rest into a Mediawiki,
> where you and others can maintain it yourself. Then shutdown the old
> website.
>

> OWFS developers, OWFS users: should we do that?
>

> Kind regards
>
>    Jan

12