unruly temperatures

Håkan Elmqvist
Suddenly my temperature readings have started to jump up and down about 0.5 degree C at infrequent but random points of time. See:
http://smeden.org/jumps.jpg
(the green trace is the temperature of my watermaker, the blue sea- and the red outdoor-temperature)
I have had this system since 2005 but not seen this behaviour before. Today I am using owfs 2.9p5. The sensors are a mix of old and new ones.
Has anyone seen this behaviour? Is there any explanation?
Thanks in advance

Håkan Elmqvist
Sunnerdahlsv 7
167 62 Bromma
Telefon: +46 (8) 80 18 81, +46 (704) 56 74 81, +46 (176) 84 077
epost: [hidden email]
Kryptera mera!

Re: unruly temperatures

Roberto Spadim
i think it's like a bad power supply or something like it

Suddenly my temperature readings have started to jump up and down about 0.5 degree C at infrequent but random points of time. See:
http://smeden.org/jumps.jpg
(the green trace is the temperature of my watermaker, the blue sea- and the red outdoor-temperature)
I have had this system since 2005 but not seen this behaviour before. Today I am using owfs 2.9p5. The sensors are a mix of old and new ones.
Has anyone seen this behaviour? Is there any explanation?
Thanks in advance

Håkan Elmqvist
Sunnerdahlsv 7
167 62 Bromma
Telefon: <a href="tel:%2B46%20%288%29%2080%2018%2081" value="+468801881" target="_blank">+46 (8) 80 18 81, +46 (704) 56 74 81, +46 (176) 84 077
epost: [hidden email]
Kryptera mera!

Roberto Spadim
SPAEmpresarial
Eng. Automação e Controle

Re: unruly temperatures

Håkan Elmqvist
Thanks,
but I can hardly believe that the behaviour is caused by the power supply, a DS9490R USB to 1-Wire/iButton Adapter. The transitions in the different channels don't seem to be synchronous nor correlated.

Roberto Spadim skrev 2014-09-12 17:55:
i think it's like a bad power supply or something like it

-
Roberto Spadim
SPAEmpresarial
Eng. Automação e Controle

Re: unruly temperatures

Roberto Spadim
Whats cable distance? Does it use parasite power?

--
Roberto Spadim
SPAEmpresarial

Re: unruly temperatures

Håkan Elmqvist
The installation is on a remote island and I can't physically access it for now. The server since about two months is a Raspberry Pi B+ connected to a wired network. For reliability reasons I have two DS9490s connected with a USB-hub powered by a 2 A supply. The Pi uses a separate 1 A supply. I use 0,5 mm2 twisted pair telephone wires and soldered connections. The most important sensor, green trace, is connected with a 1,5 m cable to one of the adapters. The other two are connected to the other adapter with 3 and 10 m cables. The sensors use parasitic power.
Roberto Spadim skrev 2014-09-13 13:54:
Whats cable distance? Does it use parasite power?

Re: unruly temperatures

Martin Patzak (GMX)
I would check, if the raw data, read from the owfs show that effect or if it gets introduced later.
In any case it looks like a software bug to me - I could be wrong, but I don't think so ;o)

Think about what changes you made since your last running system without the effect.

Martin

On 09/13/2014 02:34 PM, Håkan Elmqvist wrote:
The installation is on a remote island and I can't physically access it for now. The server since about two months is a Raspberry Pi B+ connected to a wired network. For reliability reasons I have two DS9490s connected with a USB-hub powered by a 2 A supply. The Pi uses a separate 1 A supply. I use 0,5 mm2 twisted pair telephone wires and soldered connections. The most important sensor, green trace, is connected with a 1,5 m cable to one of the adapters. The other two are connected to the other adapter with 3 and 10 m cables. The sensors use parasitic power.
Roberto Spadim skrev 2014-09-13 13:54:
Whats cable distance? Does it use parasite power?

Want excitement?

Re: unruly temperatures

Martin Patzak (GMX)
Well, I guess then it is NOT a software bug then... ;o)
It for sure looked like one...

Would be interesting to understand why it results in this weird behaviour!

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Patzak (GMX) wrote:
[...]

Gregg Levine
Hello!
Normally I would say one thing, "Of course it does, I arranged it.",
but under the circumstances, there are a lot of reasons why its doing
that.

Besides it was arranged that way.....

Seriously? Lots of reasons, look for an open line someplace.
-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Martin Patzak (GMX)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I guess then it is NOT a software bug then... ;o)
> It for sure looked like one...
>
> Would be interesting to understand why it results in this weird behaviour!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin
>

> On 09/14/2014 06:25 PM, Nico Bouthoorn wrote:
>
> I've had the same when i left the power pin disconnected (ds18b20), now i
> connect it to ground.
>
> Nico
>
> Martin Patzak (GMX) wrote:
>
> I would check, if the raw data, read from the owfs show that effect or if it
> gets introduced later.
> In any case it looks like a software bug to me - I could be wrong, but I
> don't think so ;o)
>
> Think about what changes you made since your last running system without the
> effect.
>
> Martin
>
> On 09/13/2014 02:34 PM, Håkan Elmqvist wrote:
>
> The installation is on a remote island and I can't physically access it for
> now. The server since about two months is a Raspberry Pi B+ connected to a
> wired network. For reliability reasons I have two DS9490s connected with a
> USB-hub powered by a 2 A supply. The Pi uses a separate 1 A supply. I use
> 0,5 mm2 twisted pair telephone wires and soldered connections. The most
> important sensor, green trace, is connected with a 1,5 m cable to one of the
> adapters. The other two are connected to the other adapter with 3 and 10 m
> cables. The sensors use parasitic power.
> Roberto Spadim skrev 2014-09-13 13:54:
>
> Whats cable distance? Does it use parasite power?

> Want excitement?
> When you want reliability, choose Perforce

> Want excitement?
> When you want reliability, choose Perforce

> 0623391101

> Want excitement?
> When you want reliability, choose Perforce

unruly temperatures revisited

Håkan Elmqvist
I noticed that one of my systems (Raspberry Pi B+, Owfs  2.9p8) behaved
very well without any anomalous temperature jumps.  So I uninstalled
the Owfs 2.9p5 running on the misbehaving systems, updated, upgraded and
installed Owfs 2.9p8. After this all measurements were ok without  any
jumps and the problem is resolved.
After reversing the procedure (uninstalling Owfs 2.9p8 and reinstalling
Owfs 2.9p5 on an otherwise updated and upgraded Pi) the jumps were back.
So my conclusion is that there may be some little bug in Owfs 2.9p5.
If someone is interested in looking closer at this I still have an
SD-disk image to share.

ghost devices

Håkan Elmqvist
Since 2015-12-12 10:15:55 two ghost devices (05.4AEC29CDBAAB and
10.67C6697351FF) appear in some of my OW-circuits. This happens whether
an adapter is attached or not, the problem persists after reboot.
The 10.67C6697351FF reports more or less random temperatures between 0
and 50 degrees C.
I see this behaviour on three systems (a Raspberry Pi, an Asus laptop
and on an Ubuntu in a VMware player playing on a Lenovo Yoga pro).
On two other Raspberry Pi's I can't detect this behaviour.
Please see sample outputs below.
Can anyone explain this?
Thanks in advance.

Raspberry Pi, adapter, no device, owfs version: 2.9p8
root@bod:~# killall owfs; umount /ow; /usr/bin/owfs -uall --allow_other
/ow;ls /ow
umount: /ow: not mounted
05.4AEC29CDBAAB  81.AA5F28000000  bus.1     statistics system
10.67C6697351FF  bus.0  settings  structure uncached

Asus running Ubuntu, no adapter, owfs version: 2.9p8
root@h2:/home/he# killall owfs; umount /ow; /usr/bin/owfs -uall
--allow_other /ow;ls /ow
umount: /ow: not mounted
05.4AEC29CDBAAB  alarm  settings      statistics  system
10.67C6697351FF  bus.0  simultaneous  structure   uncached

Asus running Ubuntu, different adapter, no device, owfs version: 2.9p8
root@h2:/home/he# killall owfs; umount /ow; /usr/bin/owfs -uall
--allow_other /ow;ls /ow
umount: /ow: not mounted
05.4AEC29CDBAAB  81.CD6E28000000  bus.0  settings      statistics  system
10.67C6697351FF  alarm            bus.1  simultaneous  structure   uncached

Asus running Ubuntu, adapter and device, version 2.9p8
root@h2:/home/he# killall owfs; umount /ow; /usr/bin/owfs -uall
--allow_other /ow;ls /ow
umount: /ow: not mounted
05.4AEC29CDBAAB  81.CD6E28000000  bus.1         statistics  uncached
10.67C6697351FF  alarm            settings      structure
10.E18C2D000000  bus.0            simultaneous  system

still another computer (Ubuntu played on VMware-player), has never seen
an adapter, owfs version: 2.8p15:
root@ubuntu:~# killall owfs; umount /ow; /usr/bin/owfs -uall
--allow_other /ow; ls /ow
umount: /ow: inte monterad
05.4AEC29CDBAAB  alarm  settings      statistics  system
10.67C6697351FF  bus.0  simultaneous  structure   uncached

Re: ghost devices

Mick Sulley
Just a thought, have a look at your config files /etc/owfs.conf to see
if those devices are defined as fakes

Mick